E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > recommended products for novice detailing

12-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

recommended products for novice detailing

Which are the best and easy to use products to do a minor to moderate swirl problem on a black car?
Then will top with cquartz uk.

I've read 3m and menzerna are great.
Looking to buy the porter DA.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Hi,

Hopefully I can help by providing some recommendations based on my own experiences with black BMW's... is your vehicle BSM or Jet Black?

I would highly recommend the Griot's Garage BOSS Line Up. We have found this system to work extremely well in almost every case.

Compound & Polish
Griot’s Garage Fast Correcting Cream – Our favorite cutting compound that provides a long working time, relatively easy wiping, and great cutting power to remove heavier swirls and moderate scratches. Works great on Microfiber pads as well as foam pads.
Griot's Garage Correcting Cream - A fantastic medium polish that is great for "one-step" paint corrections. Capable of removing moderate swirl marks and producing an exceptionally glossy finish. Long working time, low dust, great scent.
Griot's Garage Perfecting Cream - A fine finishing polish that will help to produce great clarity and gloss. Long working time, low dust.

Pads
Microfiber Pads - Most aggressive. Perfect for heavier cutting when you need to level the paint quickly, or if you have harder paint to begin with.
Fast Correcting Foam Pads - a stiff, firm foam pad that works great for cutting while producing a rather nice finish for the degree of defect removal that you can achieve.
Correcting Foam Pads - A medium cutting pad that works great for removing moderate swirl marks and defects.
Perfecting Foam Pads - A softer pad that is great for final polishing.
Finishing Foam Pad - A very soft pad that can be used for final polishing on exceptionally delicate paint or for spreading your favorite wax or sealant (if you're not applying a coating)
**Griot's Garage Foam Pad Kit** - This kit includes 2 of each of the foam pads and when ordered as a kit, there is a discount already applied!
**Griot's Garage 6" Polisher & Pads Starter Kit** - This kit contains the awesome Griot's DA polisher and 2 of each of the most important foam pads (fast correcting, correcting, and perfecting). This kit is also discounted compared to purchasing each item individually.

Griot's Correcting Cream + Correcting Pads made easy work cleaning up the mild swirls on this 335i.

Here is a before/after shot of the same hood that was restored with Griot's Correcting Cream and Correcting Pads.

Heavier defects were present on the sides of the vehicle...

These were leveled with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream (FCC) & Microfiber Cutting Pads

The areas that were compounded with the FCC were later followed up with a fine finishing polish before being coated with 22ple.

As far as the polisher goes, you had mentioned the PC7424XP, which is a great little machine, but I would highly recommend spending a little bit more and getting the Griot's Garage DA Polisher. The Griot's Machine is very similar to the Porter Cable in terms of size and appearance, but it has a slightly more powerful motor which will help you to accomplish your work quicker, and most importantly it is backed by an outstanding lifetime warranty against any manufacuterer defects. So if anything ever goes wrong as the result of the original parts (ie not user abuse/misuse) then the unit should be repaired or replaced by Griot's free of charge. You really can't bea that!

You may find these other articles helpful as well...
Two-Step Paint Correction Overview (see video inside)
Analyzing Your Test Spot
Pairing Products and Pads
Polishing Pads - How Many Do I Need?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Zach

Last edited by Detailed Image; 12-09-2016 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
parabmw
Major
Rep

Is the car in the photos onyx blue? That's my color?

Do you not recommend menzerna? I've heard great things.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

In terms of product though you can't go wrong with the Boss line of polishes, they are really forgiving and you can work them seemingly forever....Menzerna makes great products as well, ....specific to Menzerna products I have had good luck with on my SGM 335i with MC2500 paired with LC Orange pads, knocks out minor imperfections with ease and leave a great finish......or if you prefer a more correct/protect or 1 step solution I have also had success with Menzerna 3in1 on LC Orange (my got to for one step detailing).

I also agree with Zach, the GG6 is the way to go .....
      12-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Is the car in the photos onyx blue? That's my color?

Do you not recommend menzerna? I've heard great things.
I don't know the exact paint code of that vehicle... it's been a while since that project.

I personally do not use Menzerna much anymore, but I have in the past and had fantastic results with their products. Definitely a great option.

Menzerna Line Up
Heavy Cut
Medium Cut
Super Finish
*note there are other Menzerna abrasives as well for heavier cutting and finer finishing*
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
parabmw
Major
Rep

How does the paint and clear on a 2014 black 911 compare to bmw?
Same recommendations?

Also why is long working time important?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does the paint and clear on a 2014 black 911 compare to bmw?
Same recommendations?

Also why is long working time important?
Porsche black paint is typically very soft and delicate. This makes it easier to remove defects, but considerably harder to produce the perfect finish with maximum clarity and gloss. Experience really plays a part when maximizing the results on soft black paint.

The reason I had asked whether your BMW was BSM or Jet Black is because BMW paint can vary greatly in terms of hardness. BSM is quite hard and jet black is much softer.

Long working time means you can make many passes without the product drying up and dusting. Products with a shorter working cycle are typically more frustrating for beginners to use.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Once the paint is polished, don't forget to pick up some Blackfire Wet Diamond to seal the paint. I love this stuff, and today (12/15/16) it's on sale for about 40% off and no-minimum free shipping! I recommend this stuff when it's full price, and if I didn't have a mostly-full bottle at home I'd be buying a spare. Seriously, it's awesome.

And pick up some Waffle Weave towels for drying, while you're at it
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
BSM is quite hard and jet black is much softer.

-Zach
My god is BSM hard. By far the hardest paint I have ever corrected.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Zach,

can you replace 6" backing plate to 3" on **Griot's Garage 6" Polisher ?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Zach,

can you replace 6" backing plate to 3" on **Griot's Garage 6" Polisher ?
Yes, the Griot's Garage DA polisher can be fitted with 6", 5", 4" and 3" backing plates. Custom options for 2" and 1" versions are also available.

Backing Plates from DI
6" Backing Plate
5" Backing Plate
4" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate | Griot's Option

This is one of the reasons I recommend this machine to DIYers instead of the professional grade machines that do not have interchangeable backing plates. It makes much more sense for users to have one machine that does it all rather than have to spend a lot more money on 2-3 machines when you only use them a few times a year at most.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Thanks Zach,

do they provide wrench with this polisher to change backing plates?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Thanks Zach,

do they provide wrench with this polisher to change backing plates?
I'm honestly not sure... but you can buy one for really cheap if needed.

Flat Wrench for DA Backing Plate
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
i-Reef
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Hi,

Hopefully I can help by providing some recommendations based on my own experiences with black BMW's... is your vehicle BSM or Jet Black?

I would highly recommend the Griot's Garage BOSS Line Up. We have found this system to work extremely well in almost every case.

Compound & Polish
Griot’s Garage Fast Correcting Cream – Our favorite cutting compound that provides a long working time, relatively easy wiping, and great cutting power to remove heavier swirls and moderate scratches. Works great on Microfiber pads as well as foam pads.
Griot's Garage Correcting Cream - A fantastic medium polish that is great for "one-step" paint corrections. Capable of removing moderate swirl marks and producing an exceptionally glossy finish. Long working time, low dust, great scent.
Griot's Garage Perfecting Cream - A fine finishing polish that will help to produce great clarity and gloss. Long working time, low dust.

Pads
Microfiber Pads - Most aggressive. Perfect for heavier cutting when you need to level the paint quickly, or if you have harder paint to begin with.
Fast Correcting Foam Pads - a stiff, firm foam pad that works great for cutting while producing a rather nice finish for the degree of defect removal that you can achieve.
Correcting Foam Pads - A medium cutting pad that works great for removing moderate swirl marks and defects.
Perfecting Foam Pads - A softer pad that is great for final polishing.
Finishing Foam Pad - A very soft pad that can be used for final polishing on exceptionally delicate paint or for spreading your favorite wax or sealant (if you're not applying a coating)
**Griot's Garage Foam Pad Kit** - This kit includes 2 of each of the foam pads and when ordered as a kit, there is a discount already applied!
**Griot's Garage 6" Polisher & Pads Starter Kit** - This kit contains the awesome Griot's DA polisher and 2 of each of the most important foam pads (fast correcting, correcting, and perfecting). This kit is also discounted compared to purchasing each item individually.

Griot's Correcting Cream + Correcting Pads made easy work cleaning up the mild swirls on this 335i.

Here is a before/after shot of the same hood that was restored with Griot's Correcting Cream and Correcting Pads.

Heavier defects were present on the sides of the vehicle...

These were leveled with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream (FCC) & Microfiber Cutting Pads

The areas that were compounded with the FCC were later followed up with a fine finishing polish before being coated with 22ple.

As far as the polisher goes, you had mentioned the PC7424XP, which is a great little machine, but I would highly recommend spending a little bit more and getting the Griot's Garage DA Polisher. The Griot's Machine is very similar to the Porter Cable in terms of size and appearance, but it has a slightly more powerful motor which will help you to accomplish your work quicker, and most importantly it is backed by an outstanding lifetime warranty against any manufacuterer defects. So if anything ever goes wrong as the result of the original parts (ie not user abuse/misuse) then the unit should be repaired or replaced by Griot's free of charge. You really can't bea that!

You may find these other articles helpful as well...
Two-Step Paint Correction Overview (see video inside)
Analyzing Your Test Spot
Pairing Products and Pads
Polishing Pads - How Many Do I Need?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Zach
Was this car wet sanded to get that flat mirror like reflection?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Reef View Post
Was this car wet sanded to get that flat mirror like reflection?
No. Only compounded and polished. Then coated with a nano coating.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
parabmw
Major
Rep

What is the best size for the pad?
Or do you need multiple sizes?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the best size for the pad?
Or do you need multiple sizes?
I would recommend 5.5" and 3" pads, along with the appropriate backing plates in order to effectively reach most areas of the car. You will need smaller pads for pillars, around emblems, bumpers, and other smaller areas.

Pads

Backing Plates

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Bump for recent question about paint correction/detailing
Appreciate 0