E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Whistling noise and high crack case vacuum

12-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
kylerwinters
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Whistling noise and high crack case vacuum

Hi guys. I have a 335i and I have had a whistling noise get worse and worse. For a while I thought my transmission was going out. That was my thought until I tried to add oil when it was running. The oil fill cap wouldn't open, it was stuck! I pried on it and it opened with a swoosh of air and the whistling noise went away. This video exactly describes my situation. What failure could be causing this? I just replaced my valve cover but neglected to replace my pcv valve.

Edit: here is a video of my engine. Link

Last edited by kylerwinters; 12-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Adding link to video
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:21 AM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

That's an unusual problem. It could be caused by a bad PCV valve, or a damaged valve cover. I would check the PCV first.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Yep. Sounds like a pcv valve gone bad.
BTW - Extremely common on VAG TFSI engines with same symptoms. Just had this happen to my Q5.
      12-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Bad pcv valve or the if you have the rb pcv valve male sure the rubber peace is in there. If not that will causes issues. I have had it happen to me
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Bad pcv valve or the if you have the rb pcv valve male sure the rubber peace is in there. If not that will causes issues. I have had it happen to me
Definitely sounds like the PCV Valve and we'd also suggest a new vent hose/flapper assembly as well.

Regarding our PCV valve the above user likely had our earlier valve offering which we refer to as the "Grommet Style". These were the same actual valve and did well but the Grommet could separate especially if tinkered with often and would need resealing if it did. So over 2 years ago we revised the RB Valves adapter to an OEM like "O-Ring style" that installs nicer and they seem to be very bullet proof even when serviced regularly. In short that shouldn't have been any issue for quite a long time now.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Definitely sounds like the PCV Valve and we'd also suggest a new vent hose/flapper assembly as well.

Regarding our PCV valve the above user likely had our earlier valve offering which we refer to as the "Grommet Style". These were the same actual valve and did well but the Grommet could separate especially if tinkered with often and would need resealing if it did. So over 2 years ago we revised the RB Valves adapter to an OEM like "O-Ring style" that installs nicer and they seem to be very bullet proof even when serviced regularly. In short that shouldn't have been any issue for quite a long time now.

Rob
Damn been that long since I did my pcv valve lol.. Might be time to replace mine. Only got like 10k on it hehe
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
kylerwinters
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll try replacing the pcv valve and possibly the vent hose along with it if I'm not strapped for cash. Could this cause misfires?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:

Rob
Rob, I have the old style valve. Do you recommend I get your new one with the o-ring? it is a better design.
      12-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Rob, I have the old style valve. Do you recommend I get your new one with the o-ring? it is a better design.
Both are same valves the newer O-ring style is just more "tamper" resistant. If you think the grommet of the older style has come unsealed (which usually only happens when removing after having been installed- if at all); you can either reseal it or order the complete new style. With time and age of course it is worth replacing them in general- they are a maintenance item after all.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 2
Sgop335648.00
      12-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Both are same valves the newer O-ring style is just more "tamper" resistant. If you think the grommet of the older style has come unsealed (which usually only happens when removing after having been installed- if at all); you can either reseal it or order the complete new style. With time and age of course it is worth replacing them in general- they are a maintenance item after all.

Thanks,
Rob
Yes it has come unsealed. Will order one. The oring is a better design.
It is interesting to see another player the bms pcv.