E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Few Q's for 335D owners..

07-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Wink Few Q's for 335D owners..

As a new owner of 335d SE, I have a few basic Q’s for you folks:

1. What grade oil does this beast use and what do you 335D owners recommend?

2. Should I worry about the boost pipe, clips, vacuum stuff (which I’ve been reading up on lately) sooner rather than later or even worry about it considering the car’s only covered 43.5k miles? The car doesn’t seem to have any issue with the foot down and I def feel pinned to the seat when accelerating..

3. Rear Right Brake Light Bulb seems gone – warning light comes on in dash. Having done a few searches on the forum, I’ve noticed sometimes the bulb may actually still be in working condition but the warning light could be the result of a lose connection. Will double check if it’s actually the bulb that gone. In the event it has gone, could one of you kindly tell me which bulb is needed (i.e. part no.) and where is best to buy these bulbs from? I’ve tried to search but not having much luck!

4. On the subject of bulbs, I’d like to buy LED bulbs for the rear no. plate as I saw one the other day on a silver coupe and thought it looked the part (esp. At night) – again, any idea on their part no.s and best place to source from?

5. Does anyone use V-Power Diesel – has anyone really noticed any differences?

You’ll have to bear with me on questions for the next couple of weeks – I want to ask and learn as much as I can.

My E90 was a major step up from my alfas and Peugeots but my intention even with owning the E90 was to try and move into a coupe soon – which is why I didn’t spend too much ££ on modifying it. Hopefully this will be a nice long on-going project but nothing major is planned – just a few things to make it even better than it already is – stay tuned

I’ll start a new thread in the main section once I’ve started the mods, from as little as changing the bulbs to getting it mapped eventually.

Thanks.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 07-03-2012 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
1) the proper Castrol diesel. Forget what grade it's been a while.
2)Keep an eye on it.
3)?
4)Never changed mine
5) yes it feels a little more responsive on V-power. Deffo worth using it.
      07-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

You will need LL04 oil for your car.I use Castrol Edge 0W30 fully synthetic and got this from Opie Oils who seem quite competitive.There are other deals out there though(halfords/Costco).
If you go onto their site,there's a search function for your vehicle,so you can't go wrong.They do 'service packs' consisting of Oil and filter as well...
Re V power-I used it on my Impreza as it was mapped for it to avoid detonation. However,I asked the question when having the d mapped(Simon-Emaps).He said it makes no difference and I haven't bothered.I use shell fuel save or Tesco diesel.
Up to you,some will swear by it and others not and there is the argument that If you've spent £ on a nice car,why skimp on the fuel side of it!
Not sure about the led light-someone will post up as it may need coding in-I'd wait for a reply as there are some crappy products out there-have a look at Mstyle as they have a decent selection of bits.
Enjoy and get some photos up
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I am also a new owner of an 08 e91 335d so keen to know all these answers as am new into bmw ownership after a brief spell in an m3 a few years ago.
My last car was also an alfa and loved it (147 gta) but needed something that ticked all the boxes.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
You will need LL04 oil for your car.I use Castrol Edge 0W30 fully synthetic and got this from Opie Oils who seem quite competitive.There are other deals out there though(halfords/Costco).
If you go onto their site,there's a search function for your vehicle,so you can't go wrong.They do 'service packs' consisting of Oil and filter as well...
Re V power-I used it on my Impreza as it was mapped for it to avoid detonation. However,I asked the question when having the d mapped(Simon-Emaps).He said it makes no difference and I haven't bothered.I use shell fuel save or Tesco diesel.
Up to you,some will swear by it and others not and there is the argument that If you've spent £ on a nice car,why skimp on the fuel side of it!
Not sure about the led light-someone will post up as it may need coding in-I'd wait for a reply as there are some crappy products out there-have a look at Mstyle as they have a decent selection of bits.
Enjoy and get some photos up
Cheers buddy, will do. I've only ever used V-Power once and felt no difference. Maybe it needs to be used over a period of time... I'll give it a try and see what difference I notice, if any..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
1) the proper Castrol diesel. Forget what grade it's been a while.
2)Keep an eye on it.
3)?
4)Never changed mine
5) yes it feels a little more responsive on V-power. Deffo worth using it.
      07-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys,

Just went and checked the 'brake light' and turns out it does actually light up so its strange that the warning light / indicator in the dash board tells me of a 'failure'...

Any solutions / suggestions chaps?

Much appreciated.
Sam
      07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Car felt flat on normal go go juice to me.
      07-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

If you do use v power,it will need a few tank fulls before you see a difference,if any...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
As a new owner of 335d SE, I have a few basic Q’s for you folks:

1. What grade oil does this beast use and what do you 335D owners recommend?

I use 5w30 fully syn LL04 - important that the oil meets LLO4 as its a low saps oil which is suitable for cars with DPF. I normally use castrol edge because I got a discount from euro car parts - 8 litres for £55. The engine requires 7.5 litres.

2. Should I worry about the boost pipe, clips, vacuum stuff (which I’ve been reading up on lately) sooner rather than later or even worry about it considering the car’s only covered 43.5k miles? The car doesn’t seem to have any issue with the foot down and I def feel pinned to the seat when accelerating..

If you are experiencing no problems then I wouldnt worry too much, just keep an eye on the red boost pipe for any signs of oil leak and get the seals changed. I didnt notice any siginificant power loss as its graduall. If you have the engine cover off just check the general condition of the vacuum hoses, due to the heat generated they sometimes split etc

3. Rear Right Brake Light Bulb seems gone – warning light comes on in dash. Having done a few searches on the forum, I’ve noticed sometimes the bulb may actually still be in working condition but the warning light could be the result of a lose connection. Will double check if it’s actually the bulb that gone. In the event it has gone, could one of you kindly tell me which bulb is needed (i.e. part no.) and where is best to buy these bulbs from? I’ve tried to search but not having much luck!

If the bulb is still working I would not worry too much about it. When I first got mine I had the rear brake bulb light warning, I cleared the code and hasnt come back.

4. On the subject of bulbs, I’d like to buy LED bulbs for the rear no. plate as I saw one the other day on a silver coupe and thought it looked the part (esp. At night) – again, any idea on their part no.s and best place to source from?

No idea - i thought the 335d came with led numberplate bulbs already? Mine does
5. Does anyone use V-Power Diesel – has anyone really noticed any differences?

Not really use v power, I find mine tends to run better on normal BP diesel. I ran shell fuelsave but I found it doesnt last as long as BP.
Tried running it on tesco diesel and I defo noticed drop in power/hesitancy
Morrisons is a no no for me, makes my car sound like a bag of spanners in the morning lol

You’ll have to bear with me on questions for the next couple of weeks – I want to ask and learn as much as I can.

My E90 was a major step up from my alfas and Peugeots but my intention even with owning the E90 was to try and move into a coupe soon – which is why I didn’t spend too much ££ on modifying it. Hopefully this will be a nice long on-going project but nothing major is planned – just a few things to make it even better than it already is – stay tuned

I’ll start a new thread in the main section once I’ve started the mods, from as little as changing the bulbs to getting it mapped eventually.

Thanks.
most of all I would not worry, enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Oh and make sure you give the car a good run on the motorway every few weeks (if you do mostly town driving) to make sure the dpf does its regenration process
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Oh and make sure you give the car a good run on the motorway every few weeks (if you do mostly town driving) to make sure the dpf does its regenration process
Yeah I already do - my daily commute is 20 miles one way.. mixture of town driving and a nice blast on the A road which has no speed cameras which becomes the morning + evening haven for any thrill seekers lol... I genuinely look forward to letting the car roar on that road (it's a stretch of 3-4 miles long so I drive anywhere between 60-80mph or so, or when I feel a bit more thirsty, a little more. )

The brake light warning chime is annoying though - can I do some checking myself or do I need to get it seen in your view?

BTW, I know wat DPF stands for but don't actually know what it does? Why do some people opt for a DPF delete?

Sam.
      07-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Bomber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 X5 40D M Sport

Garage List
I had the same problem with my brake lights, it was a dodgy connection to the bulb (s), just removed the bulbs and reseated and its been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

1) I use Fuchs from opieoils (it gives you the correct grade when you put your car in)

2) Wouldn't worry. My vacuum pipes and actuators were replaced at 41k but never had the red boost hose leak oil like some others here. Just replace them if you get any symptoms. Cost isn't that bad really and warranty covers it if you have one. Everything else fine so far and never uses any oil.

3) Sometimes then can become unseated. Try refitting but not sure on the bulbs

5) Vpower makes a difference to me, pickup is much better and more lively under about 3k rpm. You loose about 5 - 7mpg on it though.

DPF in general terms just filters out the black soot that horrible diesels used to chuck out all those years ago. It regulates particle emissions and that black soot is unburnt fuel. The car also has a EGR valve which re-circulates exhaust gases back in for combustion, this to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. As these gases burn cooler than oxygen it leaves more unburnt fuel / soot that would potentially blow out of the exhaust.

Instead the soot is caught it a fine mesh inside the DPF which traps the soot. Periodically this filter purges it's contents into a fine ash. You have have a coolant temp of 86C or higher and a burn normally lasts for about 10-20mins depending on the driving. At which point you will notice a big reduction in average mpg, autobox holding onto a higher gear unless on the m-way and perhaps a little hesitation.

People remove them because they are an expensive replacement, perhaps around £1200 - £1400 with labour. Well maintained cars can go to 80,000 - 120,000 miles until replacement. But 335d's that are driven around town might see this halved.

Last edited by briers; 07-03-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Briers has explained the dpf really well, check your coolant temperature through the hidden menu setting.
i cant find the link but its - (off the top of my head)

Put key in the ignition
Hold down the trip button, you will see yellow triangle, keep it held down
see some numbers/word in german
press the trip button repeaditly until you get up to number 19
it will ask you for code - this is the last 5 digits of your vin added up together. So if you last 5 digits is 12345 = 15
press the trip 15 times and your into the hidden menu
press trip button 7 times and you will get to coolant temperature

It may sound long but I have mastered this to less than 20 secs lol
once you take your key out, to go back into again you will have to repeat above process.

normally coolant temp after a 20 min drive should be around 91 degree as I think for the dpf regen it requires anything +88 degrees. anything lower than that then its either the EGR stat or the main stat needs replacing
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
excellent stuff mistryn, I've been wanting to know for ages how to find my coolant temp, I will be giving that a go over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
westsidee90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

congrats you brought it in the end :-) time to mod

i got my LED rear reg plat lights from CPD
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidee90 View Post
congrats you brought it in the end :-) time to mod

i got my LED rear reg plat lights from CPD
Thanks man, yeah will start somewhere soon. What's CPD? I want to go for OEM looks, so nothing bright? Any ideas which one to go for? Also, how do you take them out? I tried lifting the black housing / casing yesterday and ended up snapping off part of the black casing
      07-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Thanks man, yeah will start somewhere soon. What's CPD? I want to go for OEM looks, so nothing bright? Any ideas which one to go for? Also, how do you take them out? I tried lifting the black housing / casing yesterday and ended up snapping off part of the black casing
Open the boot.
On the light housing and to the left of the lens there is a slot,with a flat bladed screwdriver inserted into the slot push the housing to the right and the housing will drop down from the left hand side.

CPD:
http://www.carproductsdirect.co.uk/

OR SSDD motorsports:
http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=570

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
westsidee90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

i think there are some eibach springs and spacers for sale in the for sale section buy them to paji lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Open the boot.
On the light housing and to the left of the lens there is a slot,with a flat bladed screwdriver inserted into the slot push the housing to the right and the housing will drop down from the left hand side.

CPD:
http://www.carproductsdirect.co.uk/

OR SSDD motorsports:
http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=570
Thanks for these. Can't find any on the CPD website and I saw the one on SSDD yesterday - probably go for those as it seems to come wiht the black casing and not just the bulbs. I cracked and broke the black case on mine so could do with new ones. Will these be give off an OEM look or are they really bright? I'm just a bit skeptical of the latter in case they're too bright and I end up blinding someone LOL.
      07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidee90 View Post
i think there are some eibach springs and spacers for sale in the for sale section buy them to paji lol!
Not sure on all that yet LOL. What size spacers would you recommend for a clean look??Also Springs? Aren't I just better off with the Stock ones? I always had a bad vibe about springs as everyone says get coilovers!! Quite pricey though!! What brand springs would u best recommend for a 335d?