E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cold start misfires - gone after running race gas??

03-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Cold start misfires - gone after running race gas??

I've had cold start misfires for a while now and the car is in service being looked at but the last few days that the weather was above 0 celsius (above 32F) car wasn't misfiring in the morning and I thought this may have been the reason

BUT

I remembered that I actually ran the car with leaded race gas last weekend (don't worry, i've got no cats on my exhaust line and o2 sensors won't get damaged beyond use from 2 gallons of leaded race gas)...

I'm on original spark plugs (waiting on the bmw spark plug socket to arrive and then i'll replace them) at 37k miles (60k km) and the car was misfiring regularly every morning on cyl 1-3...dealer already replaced coils on cyl 2 and 3 as at the time it was misfiring on 2 and 3 only...

The question is could it be that leaded race gas (vp116) has done something that would cause cold start misfires to go away? Now that this happened, I seem to recall that this happened before as well (misfires going away after 2-3 gallons of race gas)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
If anything, running your car hard (dyno testing a race gas map) might have cleaned off your plugs a bit. But that's a stretch. Other than that, running leaded race gas should usually have the opposite effect. Definitely time to change your plugs. I'm sure the misfire will come back if you give it a few more changes at start-up.

Shiv
Appreciate 0