E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

10-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #375
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
What tools do you have? I bought OPS to do this, only to discover that PROGMAN doesn't handle 08 M3's.
PM me
      10-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #376
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You should be able to code the CIC on the bench, looking at the bluetooth retrofit, for cars with no most bus installed it shows you how to add it, and the most bus doesn't actually attach to any of the car, just to all the most components.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #377
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You should be able to code the CIC on the bench, looking at the bluetooth retrofit, for cars with no most bus installed it shows you how to add it, and the most bus doesn't actually attach to any of the car, just to all the most components.
Can you explain that process a little bit more detailed, please? Is this coding done using Autologic?

I asked another dealer for what it entails to code a new CIC -on top of loading the FSC) and they started talking about several hours of programming the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #378
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I don't know to be honest mate.

Just that the guys in Poland said they could supply one coded for the options on my car, so tell the CIC that I have Bluetooth, USB, Dab radio, CD changer etc. etc.

I asked how they could do this without the car and they said they do it on a bench, that the most bus is not connected to the car, it is simply a ring connected to the most devices. This is all done through OPPS using SSS.
Reading the bluetooth retrofit there is a section for cars without the most ring factory fitted, it explains that you have to buy a 'Most Diagnostic/coding cable' which attaches to the back of the head unit (it says only with cars with option SA663, SA603 and SA693) and then run the diagnoistic connector end down under the glove box and replace the blanking plate with the most programming port.
Then when you add other most devices you have to take out the 'most in' cable from the back of the head unit, and put the new devices 'most in' into that and daisy chain the next device.

Which means that the most programming can all be done out of the car, whether you also need a can generator as well I don't know.

I am considering buying an OPS laptop, however they are now using ISIS 3G for coding, so don't want to get caught out in the near future with a grands worth of useless kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #379
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Oh, and someone else I know coding and changed the vehicle order when retrofitting the nav in a 1er using a standard OBD port, said it took hours but it did work, so it seems the most is just a faster way of transfering the large files we have now??
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #380
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks... I'm convinced too that there must be a way of individually coding the CIC either in the car or in a bench instead of coding the whole car.

It just does not make any technical sense to me to hear one tech in my dealership talking about the risk in updating one particular module and messing up another completely different one. Perhaps that can happen in a PC running Windows, but in a car?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #381
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
I don't think you need to update the whole car if you already have latest software for the modules.

AFAIK Progman or ISTA/P are coding only those units which needs an update.
      10-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #382
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
I don't think you need to update the whole car if you already have latest software for the modules.

AFAIK Progman or ISTA/P are coding only those units which needs an update.
So, the actual and only coding will involve setting the new CIC for the correct existing audio modules in the car -such as analog outputs if HiFi is present for example- and the loading of the FSC enabling codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #383
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The fact someone has put the CIC into his E46 tells you they don't need to be in the car, he as also got the codes legitimately from BMW to activate the nav and the voice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #384
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The fact someone has put the CIC into his E46 tells you they don't need to be in the car, he as also got the codes legitimately from BMW to activate the nav and the voice.
Is there a thread of that install somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #385
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can! It definitely doesn't need to be in the car to be coded. Just powered and wired directly to the coding computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Thanks... I'm convinced too that there must be a way of individually coding the CIC either in the car or in a bench instead of coding the whole car.

It just does not make any technical sense to me to hear one tech in my dealership talking about the risk in updating one particular module and messing up another completely different one. Perhaps that can happen in a PC running Windows, but in a car?
The dealer doesn't have the tools to program only one module. They also don't have the tools to change coding options beyond what the VO/FA specifies. That is where you have to get creative.

In the case of a dealer tech, he's probably just regurgitating what they're taught, which is to run through Progman/ ISTA/P and let it code the car. It has all the logic to figure out what options get coded, and code as well as program.

As for coding the whole car - again, that's probably what they're taught. Typically when a module is replaced/retrofitted/whatever it has a different software version than the rest of the car. If you were to fire up progman, it would see the version mismatch, and want to program all the modules to bring them up to the same version as the rest of the car. This is called the "i-level" or "i-stufe" and represents what software version every module in the car has.

Quote:
So, the actual and only coding will involve setting the new CIC for the correct existing audio modules in the car -such as analog outputs if HiFi is present for example- and the loading of the FSC enabling codes?
Yes! I really do suck at explaining things, that's what I was trying to say a while back. The only thing that SHOULD need to be coded in car that was already equipped with iDrive before the retrofit should be the CIC itself. At this time it appears that is all Long needs to get his system working as well (beyond the navigation activation which, as you said, requires the FSC codes). There are just a few options that need to be flipped in his coding data to get his sound to work. Remember coding is NOT programming. Coding specifies the options or variables the system operates off of. Programming is uploading the software it actually runs. Coding takes 5-10 seconds per module, programming can take hours for the whole car.
      10-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #386
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is there a thread of that install somewhere?

The link is dead now, I have asked him if he can share teh pics again.

http://xoutpost.com/electronics/navi...2-cic-e46.html
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #387
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks...

According to one of my OEM parts sources, the MY2010 CIC sales will be restricted to warranty repairs and will not be sold to particular customers for quite some time. So I will go ahead and order a MY2009 CIC thru one of the OEM sponsors of this forum and hope that eventually a software update will be offered for the new Voice Control feature.

The idea continues to be to get the FSC supplied with this unit, install the screen and CIC (the elusive USB cable cannot be found anywhere, not even at a junkyard) and do the coding at my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #388
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks...

According to one of my OEM parts sources, the MY2010 CIC sales will be restricted to warranty repairs and will not be sold to particular customers for quite some time. So I will go ahead and order a MY2009 CIC thru one of the OEM sponsors of this forum and hope that eventually a software update will be offered for the new Voice Control feature.

The idea continues to be to get the FSC supplied with this unit, install the screen and CIC (the elusive USB cable cannot be found anywhere, not even at a junkyard) and do the coding at my local dealer.
Cool! Let me know how it goes and if you need any assistance!
      10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #389
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Cool! Let me know how it goes and if you need any assistance!
It looks like BMW also locked the '09 CIC sales down for non-warranty purposes as well... trying some other route now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #390
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It looks like BMW also locked the '09 CIC sales down for non-warranty purposes as well... trying some other route now.
Not cool! Time for the smart ones to try and start cracking the FSC procedures!
      10-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #391
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Not cool! Time for the smart ones to try and start cracking the FSC procedures!
1024-bit security? Don't think it's possible.
      10-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #392
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Somehow the person that did the E46/CIC conversion have a way of generating the FSC for new and used CIC, as least that what he told me in a PM yesterday. He stated that he needs the car to do the whole activation -no mention of doing any bench programming.

Unfortunately, he's in Germany and not talking about how he does it in detail, of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #393
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anything's possible, especially when you have the unit in hand. It runs an operating system just like anything else (and IIRC it's windows ce). If the iPhone can be cracked, so can this.
      10-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #394
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

That's the problem, my 1er is a MY2009 car, so I reckon it will be no good.

I have to say, the one thing I preferred with my Audi was the $200 vag com cables to code everything!!

It was also the only thing I preferred!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #395
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

Quote:
As I already told - no solution will come. People make money with it and do not share anything. They can answer the question, if question itself contains most of the answer, but will not give full solution.

Basically it's clear that it's plug-and-play, you just need to change the VO with INPA or Autologic. But the biggest question is how to activate Navi, because you need VIN-specific FSC which is generated by BMW online via Internet.
My dear, we are waiting for a whisky Don't forget about it.
P.s.: the CIC activation code is generated only for car which has CIC already installed.
      10-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #396
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

If an E46 can get the FSC codes somehow...
Appreciate 0