E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Valvetronic and TwinPower Turbo Overview

06-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Valvetronic and TwinPower Turbo Overview

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Valvetronic and TwinPower Turbo Overview
COMMENTS

As announced yesterday, BMW's N20, N54, S65, N18 engines have each picked a best engine award at the 2012 International Engine of the Year Awards [Full Award Results].

Here's a brief overview of two of the technologies featured in many of the BMW engines available today - TwinPower Turbo and VALVETRONIC (variable valve lift) technology. Valvetronic was first introduced by BMW on the 316ti compact in 2001, and has since often been coupled with BMW's double-VANOS.

Until 2012, no M model used Valvetronic, but instead continued to feature multiple throttle-bodied designs. The 2012 F10 M5 with its S63Tu engine (more details 1, details 2) is the first M model engine to utilize Valvetronic technology in lieu of the individual throttles found on its equivalents in the BMW X5 M and X6 M. The 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe's updated N63Tu engine (good for a +45hp bump over the N63 engine) will also add Valvetronic technology. See the text below for more Valvetronic information.

More Valvetronic Details:
Quote:
It typically works in conjunction with the independent Double VANOS system that continuously varies the timing (on both intake and exhaust camshafts). Valvetronic-equipped engines rely on the amount of valve lift for load control, rather than a butterfly valve in the intake tract. In other words, in normal driving, the "gas pedal" controls the Valvetronic hardware rather than the throttle plate.

Cylinder heads with Valvetronic use an extra set of rocker arms, called intermediate arms (lift scaler), positioned between the valve stem and the camshaft. These intermediate arms are able to pivot on a central point, by means of an extra, electronically actuated camshaft. This movement alone, without any movement of the intake camshaft, can vary the intake valves' lift from fully open, or maximum power, to almost closed, or idle.

Because the intake valves lift now have the ability to move from almost closed to fully open positions, and everywhere in between, the primary means of controlling engine output is transferred from the throttle plate to the intake valvetrain. By shortening the duration of the intake instead of throttling, pumping losses are reduced and fuel economy is improved. By reducing the valve lift, asymmetrically on 4-valve engines, swirl is generated in the cylinder, leading to a better air/fuel mixture. By avoiding a large air reservoir between the throttle and the engine responsiveness can be improved, though it depends on the speed of the electric motor actuating the second camshaft.

However, the throttle plate is not removed, but rather defaults to a fully open position once the engine is running. The throttle will partially close when the engine is first started, to create the initial vacuum needed for certain engine functions, such as emissions control. Once the engine reaches operating speed, a vacuum pump run off the passenger side exhaust camshaft (on the N62 V8, exhaust cam on the N52/K) provides a vacuum source, much as a diesel engine would, and the throttle plate once again goes to the fully open position.

The throttle plate also doubles as an emergency backup, should the Valvetronic system fail. In this case, the engine would enter a "limp home" program, and engine speed would once again be controlled by the throttle plate.

Animations Featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo 6, 4, 3-cylinder Motors

BMW N20 Turbo 4 Cylinder Engine

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

I'm gonna miss the S65
      06-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Since N20 was the replacement for the 6 cylinder engines which went into the base model BMW's (x25/x28/x30). Which model(s) is the 3 cylinder engine going to be going into ? Only cars sold in europe or in the US as well ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Bmwny2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i sedan

Why do they call it a twin power turbo when it's not a twin turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmadhosmanbmw335i View Post
I think because it is a twin scroll turbo.
      06-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmadhosmanbmw335i
It's marketing bro. For example bmw going to the n55 over the n54 in the 35i ranges....think about someone stuck between buying a 135i n55 or n54, "isn't twin turbo better?". The n55 is cheaper, lighter, easier to build, more fuel efficient than the n54, and puts out just about the same power(stock out of the factory that is/exclude is models and the 1m), that's why it took over. I assume BMW thinks people will think one less turbo(the n55) means less performance out of the factory, so they market the name "twin power" to assure people the n55 still has the performance of the old "twin turbo" n54 in the 135i. Their not calling it a twin turbo, but rather suggesting it performs as if it were one. That's just my opinion of it, not trying to sound like a know it all lol, I could be way off. And please people don't start a n54 is better than n55 thing after this comment. Yes the n54 has more tuning potential but the n55 is cheaper,lighter,more fuel efficient and still holds the 300/300 numbers so why would bmw keep dropping the more expensive n54 into the 35i range when they can just put the n55. BMW only cares about the image of their engines out of the factory and not so much about their tuning potential. This saves them money while holding up power figures and their "efficient dynamics" thingy. And they still keep the n54 around for the higher performing models, its a win win for them. And Gnip you also make a valid case.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The funny thing is BMW has people so confused, people are advertising their for-sale used N55 powered BMW's as twin turbo in the very ads they are trying to sell them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
It's marketing bro. For example bmw going to the n55 over the n54 in the 35i ranges....think about someone stuck between buying a 135i n55 or n54, "isn't twin turbo better?". The n55 is cheaper, lighter, easier to build, more fuel efficient than the n54, and puts out just about the same power(stock out of the factory that is/exclude is models and the 1m), that's why it took over. I assume BMW thinks people will think one less turbo(the n55) means less performance out of the factory, so they market the name "twin power" to assure people the n55 still has the performance of the old "twin turbo" n54 in the 135i. Their not calling it a twin turbo, but rather suggesting it performs as if it were one. That's just my opinion of it, not trying to sound like a know it all lol, I could be way off. And please people don't start a n54 is better than n55 thing after this comment. Yes the n54 has more tuning potential but the n55 is cheaper,lighter,more fuel efficient and still holds the 300/300 numbers so why would bmw keep dropping the more expensive n54 into the 35i range when they can just put the n55. BMW only cares about the image of their engines out of the factory and not so much about their tuning potential. This saves them money while holding up power figures and their "efficient dynamics" thingy. And they still keep the n54 around for the higher performing models, its a win win for them. And Gnip you also make a valid case.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sauerkraut I hear ya on that! lol true story.... when I bought my 135i I wanted the n55 and knew it was a single turbo. At pick up I popped open the hood and saw "twin power turbo." I turned to the salesman, and was like dude I thought I was getting the new single turbo engine! What's this all about? Haha, he explained it to me and I was good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Until 2012, no M model used Valvetronic, but instead continued to feature multiple throttle-bodied designs.
I thought the S65 has valvetronic.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
AlexanderR
Rep
Drives: z3m

anyone else notice that in the 2nd video the robot mounts a n20 transverse...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
I thought the S65 has valvetronic.
Nope, no valvetronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderR View Post
anyone else notice that in the 2nd video the robot mounts a n20 transverse...
FWD application.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
AlexanderR
Rep
Drives: z3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Nope, no valvetronic.

FWD application.
I don't believe this one bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Valvetronic is all well and good until BMW detune your car without telling you when it's serviced.
      06-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles
Valvetronic is all well and good until BMW detune your car without telling you when it's serviced.
I am a big skeptic of this issue my friend. I made a post on this issue at one point. I brought my 135i in for it's first service a while back, and the service rep told me they had to do an update to the DME but never gave me a straight answer why.... I will admit afterwards my car did not feel less powerful in the long run, but my throttle response became weaker on the low end and my exhaust note completely changed... It used to growl (burble), especially when the revs would fall(decompression) ... I might be crazy but to this day I'm convinced that BMW might have accidentally added the ppk to some factory cars and then realized it, and inconspicuously removed it.....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Wow, that is something to ponder over now isn't it.

Quote:
I am a big skeptic of this issue my friend. I made a post on this issue at one point. I brought my 135i in for it's first service a while back, and the service rep told me they had to do an update to the DME but never gave me a straight answer why.... I will admit afterwards my car did not feel less powerful in the long run, but my throttle response became weaker on the low end and my exhaust note completely changed... It used to growl (burble), especially when the revs would fall(decompression) ... I might be crazy but to this day I'm convinced that BMW might have accidentally added the ppk to some factory cars and then realized it, and inconspicuously removed it.....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Good call... Nice Avatar BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Nope, no valvetronic.

FWD application.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyE90 View Post
I'm gonna miss the S65
You and me both, I'll also miss the S85 big time
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Guys

No need to miss those engines, just keep your E9X M3's and your E60 M5's in the garage and stop upgrading so quickly!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Since N20 was the replacement for the 6 cylinder engines which went into the base model BMW's (x25/x28/x30). Which model(s) is the 3 cylinder engine going to be going into ? Only cars sold in europe or in the US as well ?
The upcoming TwinPower 3 cylinder will probably replace the 1.6L N13 and N18 engines. It will be similar in displacement (1.5L rather than 1.6L), and is rumored to be targeting up to 200hp or even more (such as in the i8).

It is not likely we will see 3 cylinder powered BMW's in the US (other than from the "i" brand), just as we don't get N13 powered vehicles today (those with model designations in the teens). We will get 3 cylinder powered Mini's of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderR View Post
I don't believe this one bit.
What don't you believe?

That the S65 does not employ Valvetronic throttle technology is a well known fact.

Regarding FWD applications for the N20, that has not been announced but is all but certain at this point. We know that FWD BMW's are coming in the 1 Series product range, and the N20 will naturally find its way into these models (though it is possible that they will give the transverse version of the engine a different name).

Last edited by mkoesel; 06-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Removed incorrect information.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #21
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 S40i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
It's for The Mini
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 S40i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
LOL, what a bunch of BS bro. They call it twin power because it's a twin scroll single turbo...
Appreciate 0