E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > What happened to aspec tuning?

10-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
What happened to aspec tuning?

I wanted to schedule a walnut blast but there number is disconnected. Did they go out of business?

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

mkPOTO should know.
      10-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f10 m5

What I heard is they closed down and the guy that use to run the dyno and such there bought them out and is now running it under performance solutions or something like that. I do know they kept the bmw tech on board which is unfortunate as I heard many bad stories from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

They are back in business under performance solutions. Same services, same location diffrent management
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive Coupe

Yea just changed name to Performance Solutions. BMW Tech Brad is still there and is one of the best locally imho. Look them up on facebook to get a quick response or you can email them at sales@performance-solutions.net! Good luck!
      10-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
They are back in business under performance solutions. Same services, same location diffrent management
Did the new management at least clean up the show room? It looked like a storage room when I dropped my car off there. I would've been embarrassed to call that my shop.
      10-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Did the new management at least clean up the show room? It looked like a storage room when I dropped my car off there. I would've been embarrassed to call that my shop.
The place is brand spanking new. Ryan and his team did a great job and I am excited to see what Ryan and his team over at Performance Solutions has to offer.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Dyno day this Sunday come by around 10am
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89
What I heard is they closed down and the guy that use to run the dyno and such there bought them out and is now running it under performance solutions or something like that. I do know they kept the bmw tech on board which is unfortunate as I heard many bad stories from there.
It's odd you've heard bad "stories" about a spec/the tech

The only bad stories seem to only come from a select few...that also have ties to another shop.

Oh well- never the less, Performance Solutions- is up and running, great prices, great work and people.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post
It's odd you've heard bad "stories" about a spec/the tech

The only bad stories seem to only come from a select few...that also have ties to another shop.

Oh well- never the less, Performance Solutions- is up and running, great prices, great work and people.
Everyone has ties to one shop or another. But I've heard it from people who actually went there and were customers of a-spec. Not just other shops. Yes I've heard also from people associated with efab. Zima. And another smaller shop but its all actual facts. You can try and hold your ground for a-spec thinking they were a great shop but the reality is they wernt. If they were they wouldn't have closed. Hopefully Performance Solutions doesn't make the same mistakes they did.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89 View Post
Everyone has ties to one shop or another. But I've heard it from people who actually went there and were customers of a-spec. Not just other shops. Yes I've heard also from people associated with efab. Zima. And another smaller shop but its all actual facts. You can try and hold your ground for a-spec thinking they were a great shop but the reality is they wernt. If they were they wouldn't have closed. Hopefully Performance Solutions doesn't make the same mistakes they did.
Its really interesting to hear your two cents on the matter on ASPEC. Things are said that are true and not true. I would like to ask, have you had any work done by ASPEC and or had a relationship with the past owner and tech? Ever shops has there flaws, not one shop is perfect. But I would honestly say if you have no first hand experience then I would keep it to yourself. Yes ASPEC is long gone, but those people who were involved with that company are still around.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #12
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Its really interesting to hear your two cents on the matter on ASPEC. Things are said that are true and not true. I would like to ask, have you had any work done by ASPEC and or had a relationship with the past owner and tech? Ever shops has there flaws, not one shop is perfect. But I would honestly say if you have no first hand experience then I would keep it to yourself. Yes ASPEC is long gone, but those people who were involved with that company are still around.
I have had multiple first hand experiences with both Sean and Brad from A-Spec, and couldn't be more pissed off as a customer. It was an absolute joke. I dropped my car off there on a Saturday to have my oil cooler installed, and was told it would be ready for pickup within two days- them knowing full well that this was my DD that I was counting on having back on time. That Monday and Tuesday passed with zero communication from them. I tried reaching them multiple times, and when they finally picked up all I got was excuse after excuse on how they couldn't get to it/Brad was away/we'll get to it tomorrow. Pissed off I finally picked it up the following Saturday exactly the same as it was when I dropped it off. The level of disrespect that I felt as a customer was unbelievable and I vowed to never go back. Since then, I've begun bringing my BMW's to LukeG's Werkshop (who is now 2 miles away from A-Spec/Performance Solutions/wtf they call themselves). If you want a proper shop, run by a mechanic who is extremely communicative, knowledgable/skilled, reasonably priced and passionate about BMW's (all he services are BMW's) go to LukeG's Werkshop.

And if I need a dyno, I'll happily go to one of the many other dyno shops thruout the Chicagoland area. I had previously brought my car to A-Spec to be dyno'd as well, and they half assed that too- but that's a completely different story. #stayaway #endrant
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #13
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

I get it. Some of you guys know the people at A spec on a personal level. But the truth is, in my own dealings with the shop the few months leading up to their closing, their professionalism and communication was beyond subpar.

I still feel bad for recommending a friend of mine to that shop for walnut blasting... The poor guy got his car back missing parts in the engine bay and was barely driveable...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1
Quote:
I have had multiple first hand experiences with both Sean and Brad from A-Spec, and couldn't be more pissed off as a customer. It was an absolute joke. I dropped my car off there on a Saturday to have my oil cooler installed, and was told it would be ready for pickup within two days- them knowing full well that this was my DD that I was counting on having back on time. That Monday and Tuesday passed with zero communication from them. I tried reaching them multiple times, and when they finally picked up all I got was excuse after excuse on how they couldn't get to it/Brad was away/we'll get to it tomorrow. Pissed off I finally picked it up the following Saturday exactly the same as it was when I dropped it off. The level of disrespect that I felt as a customer was unbelievable and I vowed to never go back. Since then, I've begun bringing my BMW's to LukeG's Werkshop (who is now 2 miles away from A-Spec/Performance Solutions/wtf they call themselves). If you want a proper shop, run by a mechanic who is extremely communicative, knowledgable/skilled, reasonably priced and passionate about BMW's (all he services are BMW's) go to LukeG's Werkshop.

And if I need a dyno, I'll happily go to one of the many other dyno shops thruout the Chicagoland area. I had previously brought my car to A-Spec to be dyno'd as well, and they half assed that too- but that's a completely different story. #stayaway #endrant
And that's sucks. Well brad and Sean have walked away and Ryan who now owns Performance Solutions is a top notch guy and a big car guy. I just hope that many of you give him that chance and not let the bad blood be part of why you don't give him that chances
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And that's sucks. Well brad and Sean have walked away and Ryan who now owns Performance Solutions is a top notch guy and a big car guy. I just hope that many of you give him that chance and not let the bad blood be part of why you don't give him that chances
From what I heard. The BMW tech, Brad, is still on board with the new shop. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive Coupe

Brad is still there. Ryan takes care of the business side of things. Just had my car there. Dropped off Thursday night. Ryan kept me updated via fb messenger. Car was ready this morning. Picked it up. Simple, and Easy. Not bashing any other shops or anything. Just giving my opinion.
      10-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Most of everything that has been said about the place was true. I have not had work done there just because of all the bad reviews from fellow bmw friends I know. I could get another 5 people at least in here to tell there bad stories about the place. Same with VS. They go out of business for a reason. I am not saying performance solutions is anything like aspec was. I hope they aren't honestly. But I always remember you recommending aspec to everyone which as funny to me since the place was terrible and a run down shop. Most the issues I heard of were regarding Sean and you praised his work. I thought for sure you worked there or something by how much you recommended the place.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sean was the source of most problems from my and my friend's experience; the guy basically gave up on running a decent shop in the year leading to their closing. Lets just hope the new management is doing things right this time.

I think the people who are affiliated with employees of A-spec or whatever new name they are under need to stop advertising on their behalf on this subforum. Sure, they might be your friends in your personal life and you might think you are doing them a favor. But as it is clear in the case here, it is actually counterproductive. If the shop is good, the work and feedback from the actual customers will speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Ryan @ PS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X5 4.8is

Hey guys (and ladies). My name is Ryan and I just want to introduce my self on behalf of the Performance Solutions team. I am well aware of the "issues" some have had over the years with A-spec Tuning. There are a few things I'd like to clarify:

1. Performance Solutions is under entirely different management and ownership than A-spec.

2. Though we are new as a company, rest assured we have all been in the automotive industry for many many years, and many within the Bimmer community can vouch for my (or our) character and honesty.

3. The building has been completely remodeled. If anyone saw it in the past, it was absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.

I completely understand the reservations some have regarding the the name change and issues with Sean/A-spec. I would like to do my best to make right on each and every one of you that have had a "bad" experience with A-spec in the past. Our reputation moving forward is dependent on you guys as a whole.

To anyone that had a bad experience in the past - please stop by or drop us a message/e-mail. We'd love the opportunity to show this community that we are NOT what A-spec was.

To those that we met at the dyno day today - it was great meeting all of you! Overall we have a great group of local enthusiasts and we look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Last edited by Ryan @ PS; 10-25-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #20
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan @ PS View Post
Hey guys (and ladies). My name is Ryan and I just want to introduce my self on behalf of the Performance Solutions team. I am well aware of the "issues" some have had over the years with A-spec Tuning. There are a few things I'd like to clarify:

1. Performance Solutions is under entirely different management and ownership than A-spec.

2. Though we are new as a company, rest assured we have all been in the automotive industry for many many years, and many within the Bimmer community can vouch for my (or our) character and honesty.

3. The building has been completely remodeled. If anyone saw it in the past, it was absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.

I completely understand the reservations some have regarding the the name change and issues with Sean/A-spec. I would like to do my best to make right on each and every one of you that have had a "bad" experience with A-spec in the past. Our reputation moving forward is dependent on you guys as a whole.

To anyone that had a bad experience in the past - please stop by or drop us a message/e-mail. We'd love the opportunity to show this community that we are NOT what A-spec was.

To those that we met at the dyno day today - it was great meeting all of you! Overall we have a great group of local enthusiasts and we look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Ryan you have a PM from me.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0