E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Sonus SwirlBuster

08-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Sonus SwirlBuster

The light swirls in my Black Sapphire 330i are driving me up the wall.

Has anyone used the Sonus SwirlBuster polishing bad with the Sonus SwirlBuster Polish?

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonsbfpp.html

I've been using Zaino and it looks great for a while after I do it, but all it is doing is filling in the swirls and it eventually all returns. I usually do z-5 a few times, then z-2 then the z-6 spray, which looks great, but once the z-6 washes off the swirls pop up to say hi again. z-6 has been my in between wash fix, but not much of a solution.

These are all mostly from a careless washer at the BMW Store. Not swapping sponges or towels enough, so now my car is nice and marred by these light scratches. I've also ahd to run it through a car-wash here and there b/c it was so dirty, which added a bit to the light swirls. It's still ridiculously shiny, but in direct light, the pop out and drive me nuts.

I'm thinking a porter 7424 + pad and a good light polish is all I need, and the sonus swirlbuster sounds like a good option. Just wondered if anyone here has done it. I was thinking of taking it to a detailer, but based on stories, it sounds like detailers aren't much of a solution, and can make the situation worse.

I live in an apartment, so cleaning my car religiously like some of you isn't an easy option. I wish it was!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Have you tried using the ZPC?? ZPC is a mild abrasive and will remove minor swirl marks.

I used it to get rid of some cat scratches on my car and the looks better then new now.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Ok here is what you have to do. if you are buying the porter cable then do this. Get a cutting pad. This is crucial. Then use meguirs Dual Action Cleaner Polisher.

Here is a link for that product. http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-cleaner...Cleaner-Polish You want to apply it to the pad in a "X" pattern. Best coverage. With little mess.

Next the pad. Get one of these. http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-pad/SOFTBUFF-Cutting-Pad

The reason for the cutting pad is because the swirl marks are actually scratched in the clear coat. So what you want to do in theory is cut a layer of your clear coat off. I recommend doing one section at a time. And make sure the car surface is cool to touch. You will need to go over the section with a couple of passes until most of the cleaner is gone. Then wipe off with a clean mirco-fiber or 100% cotten towel. Repeat for the rest of the car. I recommend starting on the hood so you can see the results and know how many time it will take to remove the swirls.

Also so you know, I usually after doing all this apply zaino on top. Z5, Z6, Z2. Zaino is great for the shine. But not good for removing swirls.
Appreciate 0