E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing the battery for an e90

03-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I did batteries myself on my E36 (when it hit 150,000 miles at 10 years old) and my E46 (when it was about 9 years old and 80,000 miles and I even changed the alternators/voltage regulators on both cars myself).

I am fairly new with my E90 and it is barely 7 years old and has 50,000 miles so excuse my surprise that the E90 battery didn't last as long as my older BMWs. Also I'm NOT familiar with registering batteries and don't know why the dealership charges close to $500 for this. Hence why I came to E90post and hence why I searched and hence why I am here. Not sure why that is strange for you to grasp!

I don't touch oil and I don't do oil changes. I've said it for 14 years on all the BMW forums. It's always been that way! That is my personal choice and not a flaw of my character or demonstration of DIY inexperience. I don't live in your cookie cutter world and I should have the freedom of choice to DIY what I want regardless of your opinions on what a young car owner should be doing!

...when using a portable air kit it the kit fills up a 'partially' deflated tire quicker with the tire off the ground that with the weight of the car on the tire. That is from EXPERIENCE and not the need of having a degree.
(BTW I have a undergrad college B.Arts degree with 3 years of science and a Masters of Science in Environmental Engineering.)

There is no misinformation in my BMW videos since they are mainly experience based and if there is a mistake then usually I will make a follow up video for it HENCE why my Ashtray Delete E90 video has a first video and a second follow up video where I correct myself.

I been doing DIYs and Projects successfully for 14 years with three BMW cars and with the tremendous support of many members and people who follow me!

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/gar...York/delmarco/

So I don't need you to like me, I don't need you to watch my videos, I don't need you to read my comments. More importantly I don't need you to do anything for me. You seem to be a self appointed genius and self proclaimed expert on all thing BMWs and Automotive so I will leave you be to do that.

I also refuse to argue with you since you may just be Russian Troll Bot and not a real person.

Enjoy your weekend comrade!
A post a few weeks ago you said... "Apparently you don't know who I am." I'm sticking with that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-24-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #46
@rt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Hey everyone,

Need help. Bought 900 cold cranking amps and 1000 cranking amps battery from Autozone. Followed the procedures in this DIY and installed the new battery. Car is completly dead. No lights no signs of any power. Double checked and battery is fully charged, connections are tight. Am I having these issues to not registering this new battery with a car? If that would be the case, can someone please explain to me how this registering works? Do I need to purchase this Carly software and OBDII? Do they provide this service at AutoZone/Oreilys etc ?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #47
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rt View Post
Hey everyone,

Need help. Bought 900 cold cranking amps and 1000 cranking amps battery from Autozone. Followed the procedures in this DIY and installed the new battery. Car is completly dead. No lights no signs of any power. Double checked and battery is fully charged, connections are tight. Am I having these issues to not registering this new battery with a car? If that would be the case, can someone please explain to me how this registering works? Do I need to purchase this Carly software and OBDII? Do they provide this service at AutoZone/Oreilys etc ?
Something else is wrong, not registering the battery wouldn't cause it to be completely dead. Recheck everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #48
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Double check for loose wires or maybe your forgot to connect something?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #49
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Hey everyone,

First place I would check is unplugging one of the main blue connectors on the battery distribution block and checking for power there if you have already confirmed you have solid (over 12 volts) at the battery terminals. If you have no power at the distribution block terminals then you have probably somehow shorted something in the installation process and blown the fuse in the distribution block. In this case, you would need a new distribution block. If you have power at the distribution block, you may have a FRM module that is toast. Your car should still start up and run, but most power accessories will not be functional including lights and windows.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #50
@rt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
Something else is wrong, not registering the battery wouldn't cause it to be completely dead. Recheck everything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Double check for loose wires or maybe your forgot to connect something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
First place I would check is unplugging one of the main blue connectors on the battery distribution block and checking for power there if you have already confirmed you have solid (over 12 volts) at the battery terminals. If you have no power at the distribution block terminals then you have probably somehow shorted something in the installation process and blown the fuse in the distribution block. In this case, you would need a new distribution block. If you have power at the distribution block, you may have a FRM module that is toast. Your car should still start up and run, but most power accessories will not be functional including lights and windows.
I might have pulled some wire when removing old battery. Also I will double check the fuse box. Thank you for responses and suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #51
Asymp49
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Does anyone know the part code for the read cap that goes over the jump contact at the front of the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #52
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymp49 View Post
Does anyone know the part code for the read cap that goes over the jump contact at the front of the car?
pn 61138387581

no 5 here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1859
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #53
Bmwneedsworkagain
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

FYI there is a coupon that is available at all BMW dealers that will do the battery parts and labor for $310, plus shops and tax.
https://bmwusaservice.com/batteries

Yes the battery is only $170 online but for those of you that don't want to DIY this is a much cheaper price than what BMW dealers quote.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #54
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver1921 View Post
FYI there is a coupon that is available at all BMW dealers that will do the battery parts and labor for $310, plus shops and tax.

Yes the battery is only $170 online but for those of you that don't want to DIY this is a much cheaper price than what BMW dealers quote.
Oh wow! you just saved me close to $200!

Any coupons for the $1400 water pump?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #55
Bmwneedsworkagain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Oh wow! you just saved me close to $200!

Any coupons for the $1400 water pump?
$1400 is a huge ripoff. Go on https://www.bimmershops.com/ and look for local BMW shops in your area, call around and get price quotes. Don't be afraid to negotiate and offer them less than asking.

Also, look at all the dealership websites in your area. The water pump they won't have a coupon for but usually they will run coupons and specials such as match or beat competitor prices, 79.95 oil change, etc. Sometimes they will run $100 off any repair. It's under service specials at the dealers website.

BMW also has a website called BMW value service where they have offers for each model of older BMW cars, some of these are actually higher priced than regular so you have to be careful, but it can be useful.
https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #56
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Note... put the fitting on the vent tube before you put the new battery in the car.

Cause it is a PITA if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #57
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Note... put the fitting on the vent tube before you put the new battery in the car.

Cause it is a PITA if you don't.
Wish I saw this before I installed the new battery. Keeping all the cables and the vent hose out of the way while lugging the huge and heavy EverStart Maxx H8 into the battery compartment was a challenge. Of course, the vent hose got stuck under the battery. I bent a coat hanger wire with a hook on the end to fish it out with one hand while lifting up the battery with the other. Was able to free up the vent hose and connect it properly.

The EverStart Maxx H8 was $120 from Walmart. It has 900 CCA, 140 RC, and 90AH for the coding. This battery also fits my E39 and E46, so having the exact same battery in all cares is nice. This was the largest and cheapest battery I could find for my 2011 335is. Used Carly app to register it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #58
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Wish I saw this before I installed the new battery. Keeping all the cables and the vent hose out of the way while lugging the huge and heavy EverStart Maxx H8 into the battery compartment was a challenge. Of course, the vent hose got stuck under the battery. I bent a coat hanger wire with a hook on the end to fish it out with one hand while lifting up the battery with the other. Was able to free up the vent hose and connect it properly.

The EverStart Maxx H8 was $120 from Walmart. It has 900 CCA, 140 RC, and 90AH for the coding. This battery also fits my E39 and E46, so having the exact same battery in all cares is nice. This was the largest and cheapest battery I could find for my 2011 335is. Used Carly app to register it.
How do you know it is 90ah lol?
      03-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #59
Bmwneedsworkagain
Private
Rep

Carly doesn’t register properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Used Carly app to register it.
The Carly app told me successfully registered. Then I went in ISTA and checked and there is no record of battery registration. If you’re registering with Carly there’s a good chance it isn’t doing anything. Make sure you check with ISTA under battery registration history to see if it actually registered.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #60
gsl521628
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 335i

Missed out on battery coupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver1921 View Post

Wished I had seen this sooner. Just checked and didn't find a coupon so the BMW price was $430 plus tax.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #61
alex13
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

hi,

Recently i bought my BMW E90 320d and found out (while playing with BMW Inpa ) that previous owner didn't register the battery replacement. Looks like it was changed in 2017.
Should i do it now (i'm suspecting that my comfort access on the front doors is not working because of that)? Or it does't make any sense already?
Thanks in advance for helping
Appreciate 0