E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Warranty question

02-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
kaichuan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI

Warranty question

Hello all,

On 2/14 my service light is on. I made an appointment with my local BMW dealer from their "Web Scheduler" and the first available one is on 2/18 (today). My car had 49,916 miles on 2/14 and I made a note in my web schedule that I was wondering if my car will be covered if I went over 50,000 miles. Today, when I drop the car for services, the car has 50,048 miles, and my service advisor told me I am due for Break fluid ($160), oil change ($155), intake silencer ($125), spark plugs ($354), and micro filter ($215). Total cost is $1,100. I point out that when I made my service request, the car is still under warranty, but due to none appointment available, it is now 48 miles over. My service advisor refused to honor the warranty said the warranty only valid when the car is under 50,000 miles. There is nothign he can do and I should have called and they can try to squeeze me in. I told him, if that's the case, why bother use "Web scheduler"?

Is anyone have similar experiences? Now I feel like been sqeezed for $$$ since the the differences is just 48 miles!!

Any opinion is apprechated. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Go to the Manager and tell them (and show them) the web scheduler. If that doesn't work then politely ask for his name because you want to write a letter to BMWNA. If that doesn't work. Call BMWNA and tell them about what happened. Keep us posted.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

It's service like this that annoys me. Personally, if I was that close to my warranty expiration mileage, I wouldn't trust a web scheduler, but rather speak to someone in person. Regardless, to me it looks like they are sleazily trying to take advantage of you. I'm not sure what an intake silencer is, but spark plugs shouldn't be due for quite awhile. What does your CBS say about all the services they are recommending?

I would escalate this to the service manager. True, 50,048 miles is still >50K, but there should be some wiggle room due to the circumstances.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
kaichuan
Registered
Rep

A quick update. Talked to service manager, and the current call is they will talked to BMW NA to see what can they do. So far no charge for what's been done today, which were break fluid and oil change. I also wrote to BMW NA and try to convince them I am such a loyal customer (owned a E39 540 and wife currently drives a mini Cooper S). Hopefully there will be some good news for me on Monday. Definitely a lesson learned for me........

Thanks all for your suggestions. Will update you on Monday. Cross my fingers!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

its gunna be tough. when they put your milleage on the service report and its over 50k BMW wont reimburse them for the work, unless they pull some strings. so you want them to pay out of pocket for your work? I would have not driven car. Since the dealership already denied you id call BMWNA and see if they have a grace period and maybe make a note of your service request so the dealership gets paid.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Another point you might raise is that since the 335i plugs are supposed to be changed at 45,000 miles, your car should have given you a service due message at that point - at least for that particular item.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

While I hope that this is resolved in your favor there is a lesson here.

The warranty isn't "about 4 years or 50k miles," it iis "4 years or 50k miles."

It really is the owner's responsibility to keep checking. Your light didn't just pop out of nowhere, but it counted down and you knew the service was approaching.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

While I understand that 50k is 50k, I think it's too bad that BMW dealerships are constantly refusing this and refusing that. They understand little about customer service.

To illustrate a real world example that is the complete opposite, I switched homeowner's insurance just to save $160 per year. Some people on this forum constantly say things like if you care about $100 you shouldn't drive a BMW.

Anyhow, with the insurance that went into effect 2/1/11, $900k is at stake. I was very clear with the agent saying I want to pay the premium before 2/1/11 so I don't have a problem, as I always thought insurance is paid in advance. He said no worries, you wont even get a bill until 2/9/11, and it wont be due until 3/1/11. If the insurance co. will cover 30 days without payment for nearly a million dollars, a stupid little weasely BMW dealership can honor a $1100 service when they couldn't accommodate a customer who made an appt. while the car was under warranty.

p.s. $125 to change the air filter tell them to kiss your a**
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
kaichuan
Registered
Rep

Well, thank you for your support everyone. A couple more things I would like to mention. Personally, I have now learned my lesson. I will never trust those "Web Scheduler" on BMW web site anymore. Call the dealer is the way to go.

Also, I do not intend to make BMW paid for my mistake. If Monday they get back to me and say "screw you, you need to pay". What can I do? I have to pay anyway.

THe reason I try to fight for this one is because when I made my appointment and I made it as soon as the light is on. I did not wait. I did mentioned my car is very close to 50K, at 49910 miles in the web form. And I ask exactly please let me know what should I do, but no one contacted me. And my Sales Advisor told me he can not see those notes I put in. However, when I received my service report back, it is very clear that my "Note" is on the service report. And my "Note" is also on the reminder email I got.

And, I have always been a good citizen with this AD. Took my old E39 to them, give them all 10 when survey come in. If for 48 miles, I will be punished with a $1100 bill, then I feel very sorry for both me and BMW.

Anyway, like I said, cross my fingers!! Thank you all for your support and have a nice weekend!!

PS. I did a little research on Friday, and realized what "Intake Silencer" and "Micro Filter" are. And for the price they charge me, I would just pick up my DIY book and save me $300 bucks right there.
Appreciate 0