E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Dash Mounted Ipad mini for non navi e9x!

01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Dash Mounted Ipad mini for non navi e9x!

UPDATED PAGE 2

Not really sure how people will take to this so FLAMESUIT in advance. but I've always hated not having a navi or idrive , and the Dynavin even tho it looks great I wasn't really impressed to pay that kind of money for it. The ipad always seemed to big but the Ipad mini I feel is just right. it is attached using velcrow to the mount I made so I can take it out of the car to sync it or just for security reasons.I was thinking of using Aux to bluetooth adapter but am afraid to lose sound quality and bass. so Im about to run a flat 3.5mm wire to it under all the trim so it is real clean and only will be exposed right near the jack. still playing with the mount to get it exactly how I like it. Let me know what u guys think ,I know im not the first to mount a tablet but here it is. Also just installed a new Intake and Im loving the sound!

Last edited by Anderw; 01-25-2013 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
jonnylin1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 335i | 2012 m3

I think it looks great, my only approved use of the ipad mini lmao.

So what's the integration to the car like? Navigation? Any apps to work with the car? Perhaps monitoring a/f or oil temp or etc?

The trim on the e92 is so flat that i end up holding my phone discreetly to use nav...used to be able to set it somewhere on my last car. Your velcrow idea is pretty awesome.

Never low enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Ivan@PYSpeed.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90

it looks good!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
SDe92nIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Creative idea for a ipad mini
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

I like it, very nice

If you now had this installed on it >> http://iobd2.co.uk

It would look the nuts
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think it looks good too still working on making the mount abit to make it better. as far as integration it has 3G service which allows navi and safari use anywhere along with siri which is nice to have. and as far as monitoring that is a great idea kinda did this without thinking of all the potential Im deff gonna get those sort of features added asap. it would be cool to have a GTR style information screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylin1 View Post
I think it looks great, my only approved use of the ipad mini lmao.

So what's the integration to the car like? Navigation? Any apps to work with the car? Perhaps monitoring a/f or oil temp or etc?

The trim on the e92 is so flat that i end up holding my phone discreetly to use nav...used to be able to set it somewhere on my last car. Your velcrow idea is pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklemac View Post
I like it, very nice

If you now had this installed on it >> http://iobd2.co.uk

It would look the nuts
going to add something like this , gonna see whats out there
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan@PYSpeed.com View Post
it looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDe92nIT View Post
Creative idea for a ipad mini
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexx786 View Post
rick ross! lol
Looks good.
LOL was thinking of taking a new picture just so people didn't make fun of me
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Pretty cool I like it. But I bet it's a nuisance having to take it off whenever you leave your car in a parking lot, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
KFJ512a
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

do you mind doing a how to vid on how you did this exactly? i know other people have done it with different tablets on here but i rememebr when i first heard an ipad mini was coming out i was like this is perfect to mount some how in the e9x's if you dont have idrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Pretty cool I like it. But I bet it's a nuisance having to take it off whenever you leave your car in a parking lot, right?
Thanks & literally completed it like 5 hours ago not really sure the long term yet, It only takes pulling it off of the mount and putting it in the glove box or ill just carry it , its a Mini so its not that Hefty to have to carry around. what ever inconvenience I think its worth it at least to me it is
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ512a View Post
do you mind doing a how to vid on how you did this exactly? i know other people have done it with different tablets on here but i rememebr when i first heard an ipad mini was coming out i was like this is perfect to mount some how in the e9x's if you dont have idrive.
yeah ill take a video or take some detailed pictures, I wanna adjust it a bit before showing it but ill post something tomorrow which is later today now I guess. my first try at making a mount is solid and works great but I wanna make it look somewhat oem or atleast less conspicuous . I'll have something for you later
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Not a fan of how it looks personally.
      01-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Not a fan of how it looks personally.
its all good to each is own there really is no solution besides a full idrive retrofit , the dynavin may look nicer then this but this is deff more user friendly. at the end of the day its fully removable if I don't like it ill just have a ipad mini to use lol even if its only a big iphone 5 without the phone
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
KFJ512a
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
yeah ill take a video or take some detailed pictures, I wanna adjust it a bit before showing it but ill post something tomorrow which is later today now I guess. my first try at making a mount is solid and works great but I wanna make it look somewhat oem or atleast less conspicuous . I'll have something for you later
thanks alot man. Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
WhiteonWheat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (AW e90 LCI)

Subscribed for the write up vid and pictures!

I have DASHCOMMAND - which is the "GT-R Like" read out on my iPhone and iPad, but I'll def think about snagging an iPad Mini if this mount works out.

Here's the deal for me - the mount will need to be sturdy enough to hold that bastard in while going bonkers nut balls fast around some curves, etc, or to me it would be pointless - b/c again I would utilize it for a larger display of my dashcommand. Also - like another member stated, everyone would like it to be easily detachable so no one is tempted to break out the window to snag the iPad.

Great work man! Looking forward to the write up.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
that looks great! interested in the diy
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Still working on putting a DIY of some sort together for you guys , was busy all day but have some free time today
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #21
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat View Post
Subscribed for the write up vid and pictures!

I have DASHCOMMAND - which is the "GT-R Like" read out on my iPhone and iPad, but I'll def think about snagging an iPad Mini if this mount works out.

Here's the deal for me - the mount will need to be sturdy enough to hold that bastard in while going bonkers nut balls fast around some curves, etc, or to me it would be pointless - b/c again I would utilize it for a larger display of my dashcommand. Also - like another member stated, everyone would like it to be easily detachable so no one is tempted to break out the window to snag the iPad.

Great work man! Looking forward to the write up.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
so far seems to be very sturdy, i've done some aggressive street driving and it hasn't even budged, its deff mounted well enough for daily use. As for track use i don't see why it couldn't handle it, With Velcrow even though it may be easily detachable ,the ipad extremely well attached. I even velcrowed the homemade brackets to the dash so the whole setup can be taken out at anytime leaving only 2 strips of the fuzzy velcrow strips on the dash which even they can be removed without much trouble
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Alright here is a bit of what i used to make the mount
Im still not done but I don't wanna keep you waiting

All you need is
(2) packs of velcro industrial grade which can be bought at Lowes or Home depot for about $3 each
(1) Metal ruler bought from staples, make sure its doesnt have the cork back
which is about $3 also

If I had to make a step by step it would be

1. Brake/Cut ruler in half, I bent it back and forth till I got it to snap because I didn't have anything that could cut it here

2. Bend the 2 half rulers at the same appropriate angle to make 90 degree angle or close to 90 really up to you how you
like it mounted

3. Put fuzzy part of velcro on dash space them apart or do horizontally across your choice

4. cover rulers in prickly part inside especially since thats what sticks to the dash, I did outside just for ascetics

5. Put fuzzy strip on Ipad or what ever tablet you have make sure when you space the rulers that the space inbetween
works with the length of fuzzy on the ipad

Thats basics, another thing I did was pull the handbrake cover off and take the tray inside the middle console out , plug the aux in the run it to the left and down the side driver leg on the center console, taking the handbrake cover off makes you able to do it easy you can just tuck it in then find your way up to the upper dash trim to hide it clean.

what I would recommend is going to joanns fabric and getting just a small bit of faux leather fabric and wrapping the top of the Ruler that is exposed, I used the extra unused velcro to make it black for now so it doesn't stick out as bad. I Am also going to run a black flat 3.5mm aux cord right out of the trim where the jack is. The look of the mount when no ipad is in doesn't bug me but i think once I cover it in leather It should look good.

This is my first attempt, my next move is looking into putting in a dash from and idrive car and trying to make it work that way, if the ipad is able to fit, and running power and aux into there. then using iCloud WIFI to sync my music from my itunes.

Next option would be to get a non idrive dash and cut into it and make some sort of integration that way. A friend of mine does custom interior work and offered to do it for me along with pulling my door pockets out to adding 2 or 3 maybe 4 speakers to each door in a custom enclosure which Ive been wanting to do for a long time.

I have allot of ideas just maybe not enough skills to get them done perfectly clean! lol

well any way here are some pics and If you have any questions Ill anwser them on here as soon as I see them. Let me know what you think ---------------------------- -----------

Again this was the first attempt, I'm still trying to perfect the angle, also wanna see about removing the excess velcro that
is unneeded on the dash just to make it cleaner. It functions perfectly and the Ipad is mounted safely and securely now I am trying to make it pleasing to the eye lol

Last edited by Anderw; 01-18-2013 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 0