E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO

01-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #177
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
No, volume is correct... volumetric efficiency curve will change. How much air can flow. basically follows the torque curve and we'll see if this increases or just moves right as others have mentioned. pressure and temperature is mass.
I'm no expert, but I don't think you are correct. Without modifying cam timing, porting the head, using bigger valves, or increasing incoming air pressure, volumetric efficiency will not change...I could be wrong but this is how I understand it.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles

Last edited by ExpensiveTaste; 01-16-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #178
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveTaste View Post
I'm no expert, but I don't think you are correct. Without modifying cam timing, porting the head, using bigger valves, or increasing incoming air pressure, volumetric efficiency will not change...I could be wrong but this is how I understand it.
When viewed as a working system (engine+turbo+induction+exhaust), VE will change. The lower exhaust back pressure (afforded mainly by the big turbine housing) will improve the pumping efficiency of the engine. If the VE of the engine alone will not change of course but that isn't really worth discussing since the engine is just one part of the system.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #179
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
With all this talk about spool up and lost torque down low I think that is just what this car needs. I'd sacrifice some lag for some brute power on the top end. It may also give us the chance to actually hook the tires.

The torque down low is necessary for 4 wheeling and your grandpas Ford taurus

Best thing we could have is a shift in the power-band. I'm not saying 10 second turbo lag like your Evo 9's on gt35 but somewhere in the middle.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #180
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

So the question remains... is it possible to safely run 18 psi on a larger turbo on pump gas (without blowing anything) and make more power when compared to 18 psi on the stockers with meth? I am not sure myself unless this power was made at a lower rpm or boost level... someone please explain this in laymans terms and how the curves would/should look on a larger turbo.
      01-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #181
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
When viewed as a working system (engine+turbo+induction+exhaust), VE will change. The lower exhaust back pressure (afforded mainly by the big turbine housing) will improve the pumping efficiency of the engine. If the VE of the engine alone will not change of course but that isn't really worth discussing since the engine is just one part of the system.

Shiv
Ah, gotcha. I didn't think about the fact that it will take less exhaust pressure to push the same turbine at a lower speed that will produce the same amount of boost. I'm not sure how much this would increase VE, though. Does this engine have any overlap while in boost? I would think not...

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #182
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

All I have to say is that My car sounds brutal and revs SOO Fast its a little shocking. The engine response on what is still a basic tune is astounding. The Engine revs and comes back down to idle so quickly, I can't help but think that we won't loose any low end TQ at all. You will see what i mean shortly.

As stated by chris, we just need to fabricate a new V brace due to the motor mount being relocated. the OE V Brace will not be strong enough due to the relocation.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #183
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
All I have to say is that My car sounds brutal and revs SOO Fast its a little shocking. The engine response on what is still a basic tune is astounding. The Engine revs and comes back down to idle so quickly, I can't help but think that we won't loose any low end TQ at all. You will see what i mean shortly.

As stated by chris, we just need to fabricate a new V brace due to the motor mount being relocated. the OE V Brace will not be strong enough due to the relocation.
I would like to know if HPF is continuing to keep the wastegate closed at idle to help improve low end (factory only closes 1 of the 2 wastegates at idle). That alone, would most likely make it rev happy.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #184
AYF80
Major
Rep

I didn't ask, I can though. But it must be.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #185
bmwe82
Banned
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

What is considered a basic tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #186
AYF80
Major
Rep

Shivs Base Single Turbo tune, so far its only been plugged in. Still needs to be tuned this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #187
bmwe82
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Shivs Base Single Turbo tune, so far its only been plugged in. Still needs to be tuned this week.
Have you street driven on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #188
AYF80
Major
Rep

No i was just in the shop, Chris didn't want to TQ the engine without the Brace. Im driving it on the 25th.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #189
AYF80
Major
Rep

Whats also cool is that it fired right up with no CELs, or anything bad. Its just ready to Rock... Its Nasty, you can tell its going to be a Beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #190
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Whats also cool is that it fired right up with no CELs, or anything bad. Its just ready to Rock... Its Nasty, you can tell its going to be a Beast.
Congratulations man. Long time in the making but it seems like you'll have the most awesome N54 for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #191
bmwe82
Banned
Rep

Quote:
well it was born on friday the 13th, so no surprise there
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #192
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
PV=nRT

Pressure * Volume = a constant * a constant * Temperature

So if the Pressure remains the same and the volume remains the same (stock cylinder head intake ports don't change in size), then it only leaves temperature. Just saying...
That formula is correct, your logic isn't. What I've been saying in multiple posts, and what you're not grasping, is that the volume (or air mass) increases with a larger turbo at the same boost pressure
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #193
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Regarding the motor mount relocation, does it require welding the new mounts on the frame?

Quote:
No i was just in the shop, Chris didn't want to TQ the engine without the Brace. Im driving it on the 25th.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #194
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
That formula is correct, your logic isn't. What I've been saying in multiple posts, and what you're not grasping, is that the volume (or air mass) increases with a larger turbo at the same boost pressure
Lol, disregard the size of the turbocharger. The volume in the intake manifold/cylinder head ports remains the same. So the only way to get more mass is to increase pressure or decrease temperature (very likely the main piece that adds power if pressure remains the same). You may get more flow from the compressor but you are still forcing the air into the same amount of space (volume).

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #195
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Regarding the motor mount relocation, does it require welding the new mounts on the frame?
No
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #196
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I didn't think about the fact that it will take less exhaust pressure to push the same turbine at a lower speed that will produce the same amount of boost. I'm not sure how much this would increase VE, though. Does this engine have any overlap while in boost? I would think not...
The more exhaust back pressure there is between the exhaust port and the turbine inlet, the lower the engines effective VE. When this pressure gets excessive, you will get exhaust gas reversion (where the exhaust creeps back into the combustion chamber during even the smallest amount of overlap). On top of that, this pressure will have the same effect as a shoving a tennis ball into one of the tailpipes. Boost and IAT is only half the equation. Better way to look at the boost is the amount of air NOT getting into an engine. Instead it's just cramming up in the manifold because the engine isn't gulping it down quickly enough. What you want is the engine to gulp it down at a high rate (high HP!) and NOT have it accumulate/back-up in the manifold. The needle position on the boost gauges doesn't make the car go fast. Airflow rate through the engine does.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #197
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol, disregard the size of the turbocharger. The volume in the intake manifold/cylinder head ports remains the same. So the only way to get more mass is to increase pressure or decrease temperature (very likely the main piece that adds power if pressure remains the same). You may get more flow from the compressor but you are still forcing the air into the same amount of space (volume).

The volume of the intake mani, fly head, etc isn't changing. The volume of air being introduced by the larger turbo has increased. IDK why you're still arguing, a few different people (Inc. Shiv) have told you otherwise. If you're still not convinced, call hpf, full-race, Cobb tuning, or any shop that fits larger turbo's. They'll explain it to you.

One last piece of proof:

Acura rsx type S
greddy turbo kit @ 15PSI will make 300whp
full-race turbo (gt35 turbo) @ 15psi will make 500+ whp

Only variable is the turbo, manifold
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #198
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
One other way to look at it, then I'm done. Piccture a small balloon filled with 15psi or air. Then consider a gigantic balloon filled with 15psi of air. The large balloon has the same pressure, but a much larger mass or volume of air. Same is true for a small vs. Large turbo. If you still don't get it with that metaphor, fuck off and do more research on your own.
Appreciate 0