E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cool Carbon Vibration after bed in an CRC brake quiet

06-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Cool Carbon Vibration after bed in an CRC brake quiet

So yesterday i replaced all four rotors with factory BMW pieces, lubricated the slides and applicable parts, and even put CRC brake quite on not only the back of the pad, but the circumference of the ears AND on the springs which contact metal/the piston. Basically anywhere and everywhere i thought there was metal to metal contact.

I followed the bed in procedure, drove 15 minutes at highway speeds with little braking, and the bed in procedure a second time. After the first bed in everything was fine. But during the last 4 or so stops of the second bed in i notice brake squeal during slow speed, very light braking conditions. I cant see it being due to the usual reasons because i went out of my way to apply CRC wherever there was contact. Is this something that may go away after a full cool down and a third bed in procedure? Or do you think i may have to disassemble my brakes and try again?

as far as i can see the bed in on the rotors looked like it went great. All of the corrosion protective material was removed from where the pads contact, and everything looks nice and smooth.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
BcuzAWD
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: with E85 on 22psi at 475tq

I've had bad luck with cool carbons as well. They squeek at low speeds regardless of bed in. I had mine done by a professional driver and they still squeek at low speed. Next time I go for pad replacements I wont be getting cc's.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
firechicken99
Major
Rep

I'm disappointed to hear that. Some of the main reasons i bought them were for their claimed better than OEM performance, lower dust, and no squak (except for people who didnt use CRC or proper bed in). Im about to take the car out for a bit so I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Hope these werent a $320 mistake!!!

If i still notice squal i am going to try "flushing" them as the website advises. It would make sense that the removal of the anti-corrosive coating and excessive dust from initial bed in could reason why the squeal started during the end of the second bed in. The instructions said 90% braking during last few of the bed in stops, so I did as advised!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Still no luck, ill have to pull the house out tonight and see how that goes....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

There should be no brake quiet applied to the ears, only the areas shown on the included instructions and also on Cool Carbon web site: http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/index.html. Only High temperature caliper grease should be applied to the ears.

Rotor surfaces including new rotors should be cleaned with a green scotch-brite pad and brake Kleen until all residue has been removed as mentioned in instructions. Noise is generally caused by metal to metal contact/sliding. Excess brake dust generated during bedding can as well create noise. You may need to allow time for the pads and rotors to fully seat over the next several hundred miles.

It is possible that excess CRC quiet could be causing the pads not to sit square with the piston face; this could create noise with light pedal pressure as only one end of the pad may be initially in contact with the rotor. Flushing calipers with water from a hose should remove excess dust; be sure that rotors are cold when this is done so as not to warp rotors.

Please PM if any issues remain after trying these recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Cool. I appreciate the input. I realize there are a lot of factors that go into this so I am not judging, just looking for useful advice like you have provided.

I am going to try flushing them when cold first as well as give them a little time. I do a lot of driving for work lately so these will get a great workout on the highway/commute this week. I will be in a much better to judge taking the calipers apart again by then. I've never used brake quiet on the ears/outer areas, but with all the talk about squeal and metal to metal contact points it seemed like a good idea, guess not.

btw, PM
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
firechicken99
Major
Rep

I am pleased to say that all brake noise has subsided. It definitely takes a little getting used to the different braking characteristics. Especially if you have gotten very used to using and managing the stock brake type. There is noticeably less initial "Bite"
compared to stock, however as more brake is applied the stopping force is strong yet smooth, consistent, and definitely easy to modulate. Makes you realize how true it is what others have said and how much of an "on/off" switch the stock pads are. I've only had them on the car for a few hundred miles but am loving them so far!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
EAS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I am pleased to say that all brake noise has subsided. It definitely takes a little getting used to the different braking characteristics. Especially if you have gotten very used to using and managing the stock brake type. There is noticeably less initial "Bite"
compared to stock, however as more brake is applied the stopping force is strong yet smooth, consistent, and definitely easy to modulate. Makes you realize how true it is what others have said and how much of an "on/off" switch the stock pads are. I've only had them on the car for a few hundred miles but am loving them so far!
Glad to hear your brake noise issue has now been resolved! It's definitely a different feel compared to the stock "on/off" brakes, but it's much more consistent now, especially when you take your car out to the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Yes! Im looking into what track dates i might be able to make this summer, never have but have always wanted to.. I have to see though, with the Ambient temps lately and what ive been reading Hot days will not be friendly to my A6 and no OC :/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
firechicken99
Major
Rep

I'm now past that point of not being used to applying more brake initially and these things are awesome. VERY consistent and strong braking force. I am very interested to see how they hold up with my aluminum hat front rotors when I track the car this summer!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
EAS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I'm now past that point of not being used to applying more brake initially and these things are awesome. VERY consistent and strong braking force. I am very interested to see how they hold up with my aluminum hat front rotors when I track the car this summer!
Great to hear that the feedback!
Appreciate 0