E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil level issue!!

07-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
chief_67
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

Oil level issue!!

Hi guys just bought my 2009 320i Msport earlier on today, and I had a slight issue which I think is fine now but want to make sure. Anyways I picked the car up from Kent from a car dealer, the car just had an oil change when I got there. When I starting making my way home (West Yorkshire) the electronic oil level on the dashboard showed max, so started driving was doing 80-90mph and was checking the oil level whilst driving, I noticed it started creeping down until 100 miles later it got to halfway so pulled Into a service station and as soon as I stopped the oil light came on for a few seconds. I starting panicking so left car switched off then decided to put a bit of 5w30 oil in and then set off checked the oil level 5 min into driving and it was back up to max I was like that for the rest of the 140 mile journey home doing 70mph all the way. That was weird any ideas what it could be I was thinking maybe it was fresh oil and was not giving a proper reading because it hasn't got around the engine yet. Is it anything to with worry about. The car has been running spot on all the way home and that was a 245 mile journey.Any help will be good. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

You only add oil to BMW's when the car status says to add 1 quart of oil. The measurement system will fluctuate a bit after doing an oil change.

You may now have too much oil in the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
chief_67
Rep

Hi guys, well bit a odd one yesterday, been driving the car fine since the incident I mentioned at the beginning of this post. The oil level has been on max since.

Yesterday when I was parking up the oil light came on again. So switched it off and on again and drove it around and up until today the oil level is on max. I really cant figure whats going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Could be a duff oil sensor. It sits in the sump and is quite a complex bit of kit:

BMW-OZS sensor.pdf

As you can see, if it has failed, there will be an error code in the main computer. Suggest if you're worried, you go to a good indy and ask for your fault codes to be read.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
chief_67
Rep

Hi, guys but of a update on this and I really need your help. The oil light I mentioned at this beginning of this thread, was not the oil level light but the oil pressure light (red light), this only would come at the end of a long journey, I would need to switch car off then back on and then it would be fine. But it needed sorting so I got BMW to change the oil pressure switch, still the light is coming on. Everything seems fine the oil level is fine heaters are giving warm air no funny noises from engine. So really need some help on the next step, what should I do, and do you think it something serious. I haven't got it on the computer since I change the sensor and the oil light came up again but I guess it will tell me the same. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You have a low oil pressure problem. To avoid confusion I would start a new thread. I don't think this one will ever recover to your actual problem since everyone will assume you have an oil level sensor issue.