E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hello! And advice please from BMW-knowledgable peoples :)

03-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Rizlam
Registered
Rep
Drives: hopefully 325d

Hello! And advice please from BMW-knowledgable peoples :)

Hi there

My name's Stephen, I'm a bit of a car nut, own a supercharged 350Z for track, a drift-converted 1975 Toyota Celica and a BMW 120d for day-to-day chugging.

On the verge of buying a nearly-new (Aug2009) BMW 325d M-Sport Coupe, just sorting the best price with the stealer

Thing is... the car is fitted with the 19" 225M's that Watchdog, and this very forum, ripped into - with the dreaded run flats. What should I be asking the dealer to do? Swap them for current 19's (moving the rubber across), swap to 18's, change off run flats... what? I'm looking for the cheapest solution, but clearly keeping the wheels it has, is not a good idea at all.

This thread btw was very helpful - thank you in advance : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313184

Your suggestions please!

Stephen ((Prospective) 325D buyer)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I will stick my neck out and say that I think the problem is over hyped. The main issue for me was in the way BMW were dealing with issues, before the watchdog report, it left their customers out in a bad way.

Wheels shouldn't be cracking at all, but look at the state of our roads! Also having seen a friend drive, I am not surprised that they crack! I suspect most people think its ok to drive the way they go (this includes people who think they're careful drivers and BMW employees)

At least now you have the assurance that should any of your wheels crack and they're in reasonable shape (i.e. not kerbed to death or have buckled due to hard impact) then the dealer can put your case forward and BMW will cover the replacements. Its only fair to deal with them on a case to case basis, besides its more of a formality.

You could change the wheels, but if the car still has run flats then its not really going to be solving the problem to a good degree. Any 'asking' you do will probably have a cost attached, they won't do it FOC because there will be someone else who will come along and buy the car as is (saving the dealer cost!).

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much. The best solution is to get an assurance from the dealer should the wheels randomly crack, they will work with you to have them replaced under warranty. Once your tyres wear down, replace them with non run flats (or request the dealer to work with you to replaced the tyres for non flats now).

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new car and be sure to post when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Over hyped maybe, but members on here are still having problems with 225's, in fact only today a member had his car fail the MOT because of a cracked wheel.

Some like myself have fitted non run flats in an attempt to help reduce the problem, only time will tell, I can't see a dealer fitting non run flats for you though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
by all means...before u pay...try to get as much sorted as possible...most importantly, a dealership with good after sales is very important...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Rizlam
Registered
Rep
Drives: hopefully 325d

Only problem is that dealer I will buy from is in London and NOT the dealer I will regularly use (I live in Brighton). I'm trying to work out what I should be asking for pre-purchase. Personally, happy to live with 18's - I know the stance isn't as pretty but tyres are loads cheaper and the ride is slightly nicer.

Can't see the dealer giving 'written assurances' and right now I'm wondering what I should suggest even if there is a cost attached - because this car is shod in exactly the same wheels/tyres everyone has been complaining about. Clearly better to sort now, and before agreeing to a price!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Hi and welcome to the forum. Lots of strong oppinions on here regarding the use of runflats/non-runflats. Comes down to what you want. I see you are in Brighton, roads are prettty crap at the mo' if you are concerned see if they will change the wheels. I always say 'if you don't ask you wont get!'
Appreciate 0