E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Robbing the e92 M3 for suspension parts

12-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #199
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
You big tease!!!!!

Can't wait to see what you've come up with.....

I'll have something up in the next 48 hours.

The guide rod and upper link(still working on releasing this one) kits will not ship until Jan 5th or the 6th as they are on a back order, but will be here in the next few days. However, we are out of the office from 12-24 to 1-4, thus no freight will be coming in or going out. We can still be reached via PM and email during those times.

Harold
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #200
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I saw that on HPA's site too. lol. But I didn't say anything, not sure if that was actually new or not.
      12-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #201
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Any thoughts on doing all of these M swap-outs with the B16 PSS10's (the ones with EDC?) After the wife's slight unhappiness with the AE exhaust, I'm not sure I can sell the "full meal deal" with TCK D/A's and camber plates, but was thinking that an easily adjusted EDC setup may pass the "spouse test."

Either that or go full out and just not let her drive or ride in it! Probably not going to get far with that option however......
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #202
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

thank god i didnt touch the suspension yet. with all these improved OEM parts for the 335i, i cant wait till someone completes a total package/complete package after all the R&D is done
      12-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #203
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
thank god i didnt touch the suspension yet. with all these improved OEM parts for the 335i, i cant wait till someone completes a total package/complete package after all the R&D is done
Front end package has been around for while now.

The rear can be ordered seperately for now, more complete kits will be available soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #204
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Front end package has been around for while now.

The rear can be ordered seperately for now, more complete kits will be available soon!
An xi kit too I hope!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #205
e93burner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I'll have something up in the next 48 hours.

Harold
Harold,
Thanks for getting the additional info posted on the rear guide rod kit so fast!!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195441

The M3 rods look SO much higher quality than the 335 pieces. It looks like this will go a long way in keeping the rear suspension geometry optimal under load and in transitions. This might be especially useful in my case due to the excess rear weight (cabrio).

I'm looking forward to hearing more about install process on this as I likely will do this upgrade in conjunction with a Quaife and rear subframe bushings in January.
      12-23-2008, 12:40 AM   #206
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93burner View Post
Harold,
Thanks for getting the additional info posted on the rear guide rod kit so fast!!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195441

The M3 rods look SO much higher quality than the 335 pieces. It looks like this will go a long way in keeping the rear suspension geometry optimal under load and in transitions. This might be especially useful in my case due to the excess rear weight (cabrio).

I'm looking forward to hearing more about install process on this as I likely will do this upgrade in conjunction with a Quaife and rear subframe bushings in January.
The Guide Rod Kit is even easier to install than the Tension Rod kit. One 18mm head bolt and one 18mm nut and bolt, out comes the guide rod, installation is reverse of the removal, move on to the other side and repeat!

I wold say after the wheels are removed...no more than 10-15 minutes per side, maybe less if you are quick! No need to align the vehicle after replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #207
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

So what's preventing us, other than $, from replacing the steering arm/track strut and the camber link/roll over strut while we are at it?

So about $400+ in parts for the front, and $800+ for the rear to get all the nice aluminum bits & proper bushings from the M3. Add in Shocks+springs, rear sway, front and rear braces ($1600). A LSD. The M3 starts to look like a bargain!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #208
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
So what's preventing us, other than $, from replacing the steering arm/track strut and the camber link/roll over strut while we are at it?

So about $400+ in parts for the front, and $800+ for the rear to get all the nice aluminum bits & proper bushings from the M3. Add in Shocks+springs, rear sway, front and rear braces ($1600). A LSD. The M3 starts to look like a bargain!
The only link that doesn’t fit is the track strut. You have already seen a picture the M replica steering link in this thread which is slight longer but the same form and no compromise design. I’m only making a few sets at moment. Ask Harold if you really want a set as I will not sell them.

You can use M3 front and rear roll bars as well and probably the way to go with a Quaife. I would wait until Harold confirms before jumping on any of this as he will do proper assessment and stand behind it.

The rear shock and spring are not such a good idea but it will fit. Alterative damper are KW 335i/M3 as special order per piece, TC Kline and JRZ. The rear shock is identical to e46 configuration. The KW is possible but I have more details later.

There will be a few us with a few full M3 conversion plus a few special items as well to put the M3 behind one step.

The Hotchiks rear brace is a must if you’re planning to go with stiffer rear spring rates and damper.

Is it possible to create a complete all inclusive full suspension packages that work perfect as a complete system when you get it….yes it is.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #209
scollins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Is it possible to create a complete all inclusive full suspension packages that work perfect as a complete system when you get it….yes it is.

Orb
So, can you give me a quick rundown on the mods to your car (PM or a link is fine, more curious about the coils you are running)? And then, any chance I could meet up with you sometime (when it thaws out) for a ride in your car? I'm down in the Seattle area and willing to drive up to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #210
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So, can you give me a quick rundown on the mods to your car (PM or a link is fine, more curious about the coils you are running)? And then, any chance I could meet up with you sometime (when it thaws out) for a ride in your car? I'm down in the Seattle area and willing to drive up to make it happen.
KW is looking into seeing what they can do for me with dampers but I am not expecting anything. I am ordering JRZ dampers next week with Hypercoil spring and perches. The car will not be completed until mid to late January with all the upgrade. It’s hard to do testing in winter as well other than skid pad.

Best thing is to meet up with me at Mission raceways and you can do a track day at the same time and go for a couple rides. You can remind me at later date or PM me.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #211
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The only link that doesn’t fit is the track strut. You have already seen a picture the M replica steering link in this thread which is slight longer but the same form and no compromise design. I’m only making a few sets at moment. Ask Harold if you really want a set as I will not sell them.

You can use M3 front and rear roll bars as well and probably the way to go with a Quaife. I would wait until Harold confirms before jumping on any of this as he will do proper assessment and stand behind it.

The rear shock and spring are not such a good idea but it will fit. Alterative damper are KW 335i/M3 as special order per piece, TC Kline and JRZ. The rear shock is identical to e46 configuration. The KW is possible but I have more details later.

There will be a few us with a few full M3 conversion plus a few special items as well to put the M3 behind one step.

The Hotchiks rear brace is a must if you’re planning to go with stiffer rear spring rates and damper.

Orb

I am working on it!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #212
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I am getting the BMW Perf springs, dampers, & M-sport rear sway rather than M3 stuff there. So I think I have to stick with the camber link/roll over strut from the 335 because of the shock fitting.

The front end pieces from the M3 look great to me. I also like the idea of the M3 rear subframe bushings. I'm a little concerned about replacing the guide rods if the other links are going to be out of synch with them -- if you stiffen some links but not the others then the loose link will have even more motion. I'm hoping that the BMW Perf dampers come with a stiffer shock mount at the base.

This is all much more important when you are installing a Quaife as well because of the added stresses and the potential for some nasty harmonics. And it gets even more critical for those with the added power of a tune / engine mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #213
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I am getting the BMW Perf springs, dampers, & M-sport rear sway rather than M3 stuff there. So I think I have to stick with the camber link/roll over strut from the 335 because of the shock fitting.

The front end pieces from the M3 look great to me. I also like the idea of the M3 rear subframe bushings. I'm a little concerned about replacing the guide rods if the other links are going to be out of synch with them -- if you stiffen some links but not the others then the loose link will have even more motion. I'm hoping that the BMW Perf dampers come with a stiffer shock mount at the base.

This is all much more important when you are installing a Quaife as well because of the added stresses and the potential for some nasty harmonics. And it gets even more critical for those with the added power of a tune / engine mods.

What do you mean by that?
I don't remember anything but maybe I don't fully understand what you're talking about.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #214
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

The rubber mount at the bottom of the shock that fits into the camber link/roll over strut. part #33526768544 -- #5 in the fig.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #215
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Another thought, given the number of broken half-shafts that we have seen so far, is to see if the donuts and 1/2 shafts from the M3 would fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #216
scollins
Rep

Quote:
Another thought, given the number of broken half-shafts that we have seen so far, is to see if the donuts and 1/2 shafts from the M3 would fit.
WHAT?!? I haven't heard about any broken half shafts yet. Have I just been under a rock and missing those threads?

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #217
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Other than the strut tower and rear sub frame bushings, is there anything else that is usable from the M3 that will fit and help the XI?

Is the XI destined to be the red headed step child from BMW for performance?
      12-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #218
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Other than the strut tower and rear sub frame bushings, is there anything else that is usable from the M3 that will fit and help the XI?

Is the XI destined to be the red headed step child from BMW for performance?
The rear guide rod and upper link kits can be used on the xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #219
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
WHAT?!? I haven't heard about any broken half shafts yet. Have I just been under a rock and missing those threads?

More than 3 have been reported on E90 post if my memory serves me. A couple seemed to have failed under 'abusive' conditions, but at least one case did not have any apparent direct trauma. Given the thousands of 335 owners that are members, I guess that is rare, maybe 1 in 1,000. But still cause for concern if you are planning to rallye.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #220
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
More than 3 have been reported on E90 post if my memory serves me. A couple seemed to have failed under 'abusive' conditions, but at least one case did not have any apparent direct trauma. Given the thousands of 335 owners that are members, I guess that is rare, maybe 1 in 1,000. But still cause for concern if you are planning to rallye.
A bit off topic isn't this ^^^? Also, you comments on harmonics and compliance in the suspension are a bit left field. I spent a lot time recently looking into this so I willing to answer question of what I know today and how this works as a system.
Appreciate 0