E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KV V3 Problem

03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
KW V3 Problem

Every now and then when i hit a small bump on the passenger side front tire i hear a chirping sound almost like a quick tire chirp but its not... only happened after i got my kw v3's installed ... i have a e92 xi .... anyone know what this sound could be or how to fix it ?

Last edited by MrWhite1015; 05-18-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
goldtl
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

i hear the exact same sound...e92 xi also...and now, my rear is squeaky! I still have no idea what is causing it
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtl View Post
i hear the exact same sound...e92 xi also...and now, my rear is squeaky! I still have no idea what is causing it
i would not call it a squeak its more of a chirp and only happens sometime over some bumps ... i think i caught it in the video where im following an R8 ill check it out and post it up if i can hear it
      03-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
you can hear it right at 1:31... its just a lil chirp right when i got over a bump ... you might need to play it in high quality to hear it

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGKa4FmByJ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGKa4FmByJ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      03-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

why are you following the R8 around? Do you know the driver?
oh, the chirp/squeek is common. you may want to contact KW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
why are you following the R8 around? Do you know the driver?
oh, the chirp/squeek is common. you may want to contact KW.
i did ... they said that i could send it in and they would "dyno" it and try and get it to chirp ... not really looking to reinstall my stock suspension just to have them send it back saying they could not find anything wrong with it ... and yes i was following him since we were on the pocono run together there were about 30 other care lol
      03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
I'll get the chip/squeak from my V3's when I go over bumps as well. I figured it's just some pieces rubbing together and I'll get under there and lube some stuff up whenever I get around to it.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I'll get the chip/squeak from my V3's when I go over bumps as well. I figured it's just some pieces rubbing together and I'll get under there and lube some stuff up whenever I get around to it.
let me know what you end up doing and the outcome so i can do the same or try something else
      03-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Getting the same chirp/squeak on my V3's as well. It started out to happen only once in a while and progressively got worse. It almost sounds metallic to me. Its as if it is a metal painted part where the paint has been rubbing away thus the sound has been getting worse and worse.

It is really bad on my car right now as it happens over almost any bump. And I just got the struts replaced on mine. My dealer said it is definitely coming from my suspension. My tuning shop doesn't think so. My car is currently in the shop now to get this problem taken care of along with a couple of upgrades. I'll let u guys know what the fix ends up being.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhite1015 View Post
i did ... they said that i could send it in and they would "dyno" it and try and get it to chirp ... not really looking to reinstall my stock suspension just to have them send it back saying they could not find anything wrong with it ... and yes i was following him since we were on the pocono run together there were about 30 other care lol
That is about the 10th KW kit I seen do this. I also had this problem with the KW2011 front springs from day one. This noise is the coil clashing and it only happens at certain speed on small expansion joint type bumps. It seems to happen more when it is cold for what ever reason as well. I got rid of those front springs and the noise was gone.

Not much you can do other than clean the coil with the car jacked up and wheel off and lube the coils will dry type silicon or Teflon spray. The coils on the top are what you wat to lube as these are the ones that touch each other when you lower the car. It helps for a month or so but it will come back.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 03-20-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation Orb. When you replaced the springs which ones did you go for? It might be something I'd consider doing if this problem actually starts to bug me.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation Orb. When you replaced the springs which ones did you go for? It might be something I'd consider doing if this problem actually starts to bug me.
There a few options that I been keeping to myself...The problem will never go away and just gets worse but if you try what i said as it does work.

KW 2023 spring is the same linear rate as the stock KW 2011 spring. It doesn't bind up so it doesn't make noise. You can only drop the car 25 mm max. I would match that to the rear spring KW 2017. These come of several M3 and 335i kit already. Expect a superior handling and smoother riding car over what you have now with these close to linear springs.

Honestly, I would take advantage of the KW e92 M3 front spring at the same rate as the KW 2023 spring. This will only work with the e92 M3 top mounts which is good thing because the stock mounts belong in the dumpster so now you got chance to use a much better top mount. The spring number for the front is KW 2025 which is matched to the KW 2017 spring as pre the M3 KW specification.

If you want to run stiffer spring than this in the rear then you can start at 670 lb/in linear spring and KW has all the parts to do this. The 670 lb/in spring is actually not that stiff at the wheel because of the high motion ratio.

If you have KW v3 you can change to what ever spring you want. These dampers have no less range the any higher end damper.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
just sent a message to KW complaining about this problem with a link to this thread ... ill keep you guys posted with what they say
      03-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep

Garage List
i suggest that everyone with this problem contact them and complain ... hopefully they will do something about it.

here is a link to contact them

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/70_C...t_us/index.php
      03-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

uhaulball has been having this same issue. It sounds moreso that its coming from his rear camber bolt on the lower control arm. I had the car up on jackstands, checked all the mounting points, and the squeak was definetly coming from that bushing. Im wondering if the bushings are going south from the added abuse of the coilovers.

On a high note, FKs have not exhibited such noises
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
That is about the 10th KW kit I seen do this. I also had this problem with the KW2011 front springs from day one. This noise is the coil clashing and it only happens at certain speed on small expansion joint type bumps. It seems to happen more when it is cold for what ever reason as well. I got rid of those front springs and the noise was gone.

Not much you can do other than clean the coil with the car jacked up and wheel off and lube the coils will dry type silicon or Teflon spray. The coils on the top are what you wat to lube as these are the ones that touch each other when you lower the car. It helps for a month or so but it will come back.

Orb
Thanks for the info. Owning KW suspensions has been very fustrating for me.

On my last car, E46 330i, I had purchased a brand new set of V3's. After having the car corner balanced and aligned I found out that the rebound setting kept returning to the zero position. Turned out that KW had a bad run of struts. They offered abosolutely no compensation for me having to remove the suspension and send it in for repair. They could not even cover shipping. They returned it to me with the adjustments seized and I had to send it in again.

After getting that issue resolved I began to have issues with the swaybar endlinks wearing out very quickly(every 8-10k miles). After much back and foward I got that resolved.

Now with my 335i I had an issue with the tab on the strut that the endlink attaches to breaking off and bending. It has now happened to me 2 times. See the pics below.

Though they say they have had no issues using this suspension with the H&R sways they blamed it on that. I sent pics of the install that my shop did and they said all was fine though and I don't see how if the front bar I believe is only 1-2mm thicker than stock. Again, I had to pull the suspension twice to get it repaired. Owning KW's has been very expensive for me. Now it looks like there might be another inherent design flaw.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's

Last edited by roller84; 05-19-2009 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post
Thanks for the info. Owning KW suspensions has been very fustrating for me.

On my last car, E46 330i, I had purchased a brand new set of V3's. After having the car corner balanced and aligned I found out that the rebound setting kept returning to the zero position. Turned out that KW had a bad run of struts. They offered abosolutely no compensation for me having to remove the suspension and send it in for repair. They could not even cover shipping. They returned it to me with the adjustments seized and I had to send it in again.

After getting that issue resolved I began to have issues with the swaybar endlinks wearing out very quickly(every 8-10k miles). After much back and foward I got that resolved.

Now with my 335i I had an issue with the tab on the strut that the endlink attaches to breaking off and bending. It has now happened to me 2 times. See the pics below.

Though they say they have had no issues using this suspension with the H&R sways they blamed it on that. I sent pics of the install that my shop did and they said all was fine though and I don't see how if the front bar I believe is only 1-2mm thicker than stock. Again, I had to pull the suspension twice to get it repaired. Owning KW's has been very expensive for me. Now it looks like there might be another inherent design flaw.

I hate to tell you this but I know your front roll bar is in the wrong way..no question about this!!!!!! I seen that few times now and the end results are the same just like your problem which are bent and broken tabs. If you do search on this you find so other people with the same problem as you have. Do post some pictures of the front bar installed then we can be sure.

FWIW, there is new director at KW NA who shaking things up….expect better service. PM for a contact that help you get this fixed up.

The broken dust shield are from to high of a ride hieght (mostly likely in range but crappy spings are to blame). There are better springs for this application for tracking and street use from KW that fit.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The FKs so far are great....Are the V2s also having this problem or is it just the V3?
Damn for the price KW charges for these coilovers, there should be no issues whatsover...I hope you guys get it resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

omg i can't believe people are finally seeing this problem. I ran into this last year when i installed the V3's on my xi, you will find that i made a thread and bumping it almost daily to try and figure out the solution. For some reason, the squeeking has subsided tremendously in the past month or two on its own. I will be writing to KW as well.

Thanks OP!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

message to KW sent:

Hello,
I have had my KW's installed on my 2008 bmw for about a year now. I have always had a horrible squeeking noise coming from the front passenger side when going over some bumps. I have complained to everyone about this issue (the dealer, the install shop, the vendor through which I bought the set from); no one knows what is causing the issue and the vendor has said they haven't heard any reports of problems. Months later I have found a thread on my forum with many people writing about the same issue. From reading other's findings it sounds like it has to do with the spring coil rubbing on itself (perhaps) when the car is going over bumps, and causing a harsh metalic chirping sound.
Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243156

What is KW planning on doing about these defective units?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I hate to tell you this but I know your front roll bar is in the wrong way..no question about this!!!!!! I seen that few times now and the end results are the same just like your problem which are bent and broken tabs. If you do search on this you find so other people with the same problem as you have. Do post some pictures of the front bar installed then we can be sure.

FWIW, there is new director at KW NA who shaking things up….expect better service. PM for a contact that help you get this fixed up.

The broken dust shield are from to high of a ride hieght (mostly likely in range but crappy spings are to blame). There are better springs for this application for tracking and street use from KW that fit.

Orb
Yes, I have heard that some people have had the bar installed backwards, that was the first thought but my shop looked at it and we also sent a bunch of pics to KW and they said that the install was fine.

Below are the pics that I sent to them:

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
JBSPEED
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Rep
Drives: None

kw v3

Quote:

Orb
damn, i've just ordered a v3 for my car. hope those problems won't happen on my car, lol

gotta pray every night now
Appreciate 0