E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > front vs. rear brake wear

01-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
335inTO
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 BMW 335i Sport Pkg.

Question front vs. rear brake wear

I have been monitoring the service indicator in my E90 and have been noticing that the service countdown for my rear brakes has been decreasing fairly rapidly whereas the front brakes countdown has actually been increasing. When I first picked up the car (new) they both indicated about 45,000 km until the next service. Now, 2 months and 4,200 later, the front brake indicator is showing 47,000 km until next service and the rear indicator is showing 40,000 km.

Any ideas as to why the rears would wear out faster? Also, does the indicator monitor actual brake life or only an estimate based on driving style, conditions, etc?

I use the parking brake every time I put the car in park. I figured that it would be easier on the transmission this way. Should I only do it when the car is on an incline?
Any thoughts, advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inTO View Post
I have been monitoring the service indicator in my E90 and have been noticing that the service countdown for my rear brakes has been decreasing fairly rapidly whereas the front brakes countdown has actually been increasing. When I first picked up the car (new) they both indicated about 45,000 km until the next service. Now, 2 months and 4,200 later, the front brake indicator is showing 47,000 km until next service and the rear indicator is showing 40,000 km.

Any ideas as to why the rears would wear out faster? Also, does the indicator monitor actual brake life or only an estimate based on driving style, conditions, etc?

I use the parking brake every time I put the car in park. I figured that it would be easier on the transmission this way. Should I only do it when the car is on an incline?
Any thoughts, advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

The rear brake pads have double duty as an LSD and rear brake. That is why the rear pads wear quicker.