E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Waterpump just went on my e92 335i

06-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Arrow Waterpump just went on my e92 335i

It's a well documented issue but my waterpump finally decided to give out on my 2007 335i (114k kms).

I took this opportunity to get all the necessary maintenance done to my car (Brake Fluid Flush/Full brake job + Waterpump/TStat) and just wanted to post about my experience to help others.

A well deserved shout-out to Ivo @ Columbus Automotive in Mississauga for accommodating me on a Saturday and going above and beyond!

I didn't end up needing a tow as my car decided to stay in the yellow (drive Moderately: engine Hot warning in the navigation). If this goes red, STOP + GET IT TOWED.

I ended up receiving the wrong rotors for the brake job from a local BMW dealer. I was quite annoyed with this since it would mean another run-around + booking another appointment with Ivo another week to get it done.

Thankfully Ivo noticed immediately and offered to drive me to the parts department in his personal car to get the right stuff since I was stranded with the water-pump issue.

Customer service like that deserves recognition so I sincerely hope some of you will consider Ivo for service if you haven't been yet.

Everything was done/cleaned up a few hours later for a fair price and I was on my way with the n54 running like a champ. It's shops like this that make owning a 'higher maintenance car' worth my time.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
kstylez
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, Volvo s80 4.4 v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage_coupe
It's a well documented issue but my waterpump finally decided to give out on my 2007 335i (114k kms).

I took this opportunity to get all the necessary maintenance done to my car (Brake Fluid Flush/Full brake job + Waterpump/TStat) and just wanted to post about my experience to help others.

A well deserved shout-out to Ivo @ Columbus Automotive in Mississauga for accommodating me on a Saturday and going above and beyond!

I didn't end up needing a tow as my car decided to stay in the yellow (drive Moderately: engine Hot warning in the navigation). If this goes red, STOP + GET IT TOWED.

I ended up receiving the wrong rotors for the brake job from a local BMW dealer. I was quite annoyed with this since it would mean another run-around + booking another appointment with Ivo another week to get it done.

Thankfully Ivo noticed immediately and offered to drive me to the parts department in his personal car to get the right stuff since I was stranded with the water-pump issue.

Customer service like that deserves recognition so I sincerely hope some of you will consider Ivo for service if you haven't been yet.

Everything was done/cleaned up a few hours later for a fair price and I was on my way with the n54 running like a champ. It's shops like this that make owning a 'higher maintenance car' worth my time.

Cheers
how much did the waterpump and theemostat job cost you?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ivo is a champ.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstylez View Post
how much did the waterpump and theemostat job cost you?
I just got mine done and I got plugs, air/cabin filter, pump/thermostat and new titanium bolts with parts and labor, $1800.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
bomiheko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Yeah I understand your pain. Just had mine go out too and it's not a cheap repair. Hopefully this is my last major repair for a few more kilometers. Already replaced plugs, injectors and filters. I'm thinking coils are next. I already turned off JB4 too and run on stock to maybe help them last longer. I don't drive as fast as I do before anyways haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
e92dropped
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage_coupe View Post

Cheers

had mine replaced also, I called from the sidewalk and ivo worked his magic and said no worries some asap ill replace it, not only that, my brother who drives a e46 m had his power steering pump go the same day I recalled ivo, once again helped me out right away.

great shop, great service
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
kstylez
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, Volvo s80 4.4 v8

water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92dropped
Quote:

Cheers

had mine replaced also, I called from the sidewalk and ivo worked his magic and said no worries some asap ill replace it, not only that, my brother who drives a e46 m had his power steering pump go the same day I recalled ivo, once again helped me out right away.

great shop, great service
how much did it cost you?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
e92dropped
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstylez View Post
how much did it cost you?
it was 900$ all in if you buy your own I believe they run at about $500, add in the coolant, thermostat bolts and what not I've seen kits go for $650 ish

so really same amount with ivo his prices are not bad, ALSO RMP MOTORS great people they also price match, pick a shop that suits you best

ivo also gave me warranty for 1 year which I believe is standard everywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think ~1100-1200 is the going "all-in" rate depending on pricing on the parts+fluids+bolts (it changes @ the dealer).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
e92dropped
Private
Rep

^^ you might be right as I ended up paying for both jobs at once, so ivo gave me a bit off
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Yup, Ivo did mine last year, water pump and t stat, great job, great shop,
I had the red lamp so car was towed to Ivo, but he did drive me home, lol!

I.m rolling up to almost 180,000 km on my ride since new, and taking it to him for a full tune-up, then am gonna hit the dyno again!,lol
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #12
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Yup, Ivo did mine last year, water pump and t stat, great job, great shop,
I had the red lamp so car was towed to Ivo, but he did drive me home, lol!

I.m rolling up to almost 180,000 km on my ride since new, and taking it to him for a full tune-up, then am gonna hit the dyno again!,lol

Nice mileage. I hope my car keeps ticking along worry free at that point!

Any big jobs from 100 to 180 beyond the pump/tstat?
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Nice mileage. I hope my car keeps ticking along worry free at that point!

Any big jobs from 100 to 180 beyond the pump/tstat?
Shocks, but again thats a wear n tear item, gasket between oil filter housing, turbos i replaced not that they were dead just could not handle the rattle anymore, charge pipe was making a boost leak so changed that and boost solenoids and all vacuum hoses just in case , also upper rad line as it is prone to break. Car runs solid, going in for a spark plugs, oil, rad oil, dv lube and air filter change. Then to PTF for a custom tune and dyne again. I know I,m nuts !
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

any know where I can get (3) titanium bolts for when I replace the water pump on my 2007 335xi ?
I'm assuming the ones that come with a new water pump purchased from BMW aren't titanium.
Actually, I just checked - the remanufactured water pump I purchased from the BMW dealership doesn't come with any bolts at all.
Thanks.

Last edited by mabman; 07-12-2015 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #15
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabman
any know where I can get (3) titanium bolts for when I replace the water pump on my 2007 335xi ?
I'm assuming the ones that come with a new water pump purchased from BMW aren't titanium.
Actually, I just checked - the remanufactured water pump I purchased from the BMW dealership doesn't come with any bolts at all.
Thanks.
Hands down, Ivo is very professional and a great person!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Is this well documented water pump failure only applicable to 335s, or it applies to 328s too?

I am at 117k and I think I've read somewhere that this is around the time that it could go. Do you usually try to change it in advance, or just drive it until it dies?

Sorry a bit of a noob question, just not very familiar with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #17
RJ87
Xdrive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Xdrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG07 View Post
Is this well documented water pump failure only applicable to 335s, or it applies to 328s too?

I am at 117k and I think I've read somewhere that this is around the time that it could go. Do you usually try to change it in advance, or just drive it until it dies?

Sorry a bit of a noob question, just not very familiar with this.
I've read that you can do both. Do the preventative maintenance and change it in advance or just test your luck and wait to see how long you can last before it dies on you.

To me I think it really depends on your finances. If you got extra cash lying around and you're at the mark where the water pump could go then change it. If you're short on cash then wait for it go on you then change!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:06 AM   #18
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

My waterpump is throwing communication codes at 60,000km, and sounding nasty after I turn off the car.

Ivo is a great guy, he will be demodding her next week so I can take her in for the warranty work to BMW!
Appreciate 0