E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > DAMAGED CARS ON "The Courage"

01-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #45
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

that'll buff right out
      01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #46
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Anyone has any updates to the whole incident?
      01-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #47
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkb335i View Post
What really concerns me is that I cannot find any news about that. Somebody saw the damaged cars, took photos, and posted them. But how do we know it's only 300 or 400 cars? How can we be sure the rest of the cars that are going to SC are not all damaged? Who gave that number? Is it 300-400 cars in NY only, or is that the total number? Too bad they keep us uninformed. It's not that hard to walk around and scan the VINs on a few hundred cars that were damaged and update the BMWNA customer service or open a hot line.
Everything under the sun can be googled. If something doesn't turn up any news, I absolutely would not take the forum as the gospel. Something like that should make the evening news locally in NYC/NJ.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #48
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Everything under the sun can be googled. If something doesn't turn up any news, I absolutely would not take the forum as the gospel. Something like that should make the evening news locally in NYC/NJ.
Unfortunately this sh1t happened...
      01-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #49
Uberdude328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 97 328i, 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
that'll buff right out
Obligitory...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #50
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Guys all you have to do is contact the shipping company with your Booking number. Give them your #, then will tell you right away if you vehicle was damaged. And if you dont have that # then contact your CA and demand that he give it to you. The document that has all this information is called track by auto cargo status history. Or you can give them your cargo ID which is your vin #. The shipping company is called Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics. Good luck and I hope that none of your cars were damamged. When I picked up my car yesterday from Life Quality in Brooklyn my CA told me about what happened to the courage. I told him the forum already knew about it on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #51
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Guys all you have to do is contact the shipping company with your Booking number. Give them your #, then will tell you right away if you vehicle was damaged. And if you dont have that # then contact your CA and demand that he give it to you. The document that has all this information is called track by auto cargo status history. Or you can give them your cargo ID which is your vin #. The shipping company is called Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics. Good luck and I hope that none of your cars were damamged. When I picked up my car yesterday from Life Quality in Brooklyn my CA told me about what happened to the courage. I told him the forum already knew about it on Friday.
Are you sure they will tell you over the phone? I would think there would be some confidentiality rules, since BMWNA is the shipper, not me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #52
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper1 View Post
Are you sure they will tell you over the phone? I would think there would be some confidentiality rules, since BMWNA is the shipper, not me.
Dude you have nothing to loose. So give them a call and ask them "where the f*&k is my damn car".
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #53
cycler
Major General
Rep

actually i dont think they will appreciate if you ask them in that manner. Therefore kind of omit the word F*&k and damn. All kidding aside Im sure they will give you the information you are looking for. The damage is done and its out of the bottle so there is nothing more to hide.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #54
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
actually i dont think they will appreciate if you ask them in that manner. Therefore kind of omit the word F*&k and damn. All kidding aside Im sure they will give you the information you are looking for. The damage is done and its out of the bottle so there is nothing more to hide.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=111

Others have checked, and W&W is not giving out any info. Never hurts to ask though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #55
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

BMW will be making an "official statement " shortly ( I assume after they have investigated everything throughly ).I wouldn't worry about anything,they're an awesome company when there are issues to address.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #56
DoubleL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Update: BMW North America Confirms 470 Cars, Including M3s and 1-Series, Damaged in Shipping

Cargo ships claim an amazing number of automotive victims. First it was the Andrea Doria and the Chrysler Norseman concept car. Then there was the Tricolor, a Wallenius Lines vessel that sank in the English Channel, taking down over 2,000 Volvos, BMWs and Saabs. Later there was the infamous Cougar Ace, which heeled over on its side and took 4,700 Mazdas with it.

Now, another Wallenius cargo ship carrying new BMWs, Mercedes, and Volkswagens arrived in the Port of New Jersey on Friday with more than 470 damaged cars in one of its cargo holds. The cargo ship Courage, operated by Wallenius Lines, encountered rough seas in the Atlantic before arriving at port. Vehicles in one of the ship’s cargo holds were ripped from their lashings during the storm.

BMW North America spokesman Tom Plucinsky confirmed the incident, which was first reported on the eve of the start of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Plucinsky indicated that while there were BMWs in several holds of the ship, the damage appears to be limited to just the one. Unfortunately, that compartment held the M3s and 1-series coupes that were being brought out as demonstrators to be used at media events prior to the cars' US launch. Of the 470 cars damaged, 120 will need to be destroyed, while the remaining 350 will be repaired at port and sent to dealers with a disclosure document. In addition, BMW will be checking out the alignments of all cars on the vessel to ensure that the turbulent seas didn't affect them while lashed down.

A cargo ship carrying new BMWs, Mercedes, and Volkswagens arrived in the Port of New Jersey on Friday with more than 470 damaged cars in one of its cargo holds. The cargo ship Courage, operated by Wallenius Lines, encountered rough seas in the Atlantic before arriving at port. Vehicles in one of the ship’s cargo holds were ripped from their lashings during the storm, hurtling cars into one another. In total, about 470 BMWs were damaged, roughly 120 of which are a total loss.

BMW North America spokesman Tom Plucinsky confirmed the incident, which was first reported on the eve of the start of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Plucinsky indicated that while there were BMWs in several holds of the ship, the damage appears to be limited to just the one. Nevertheless, BMW plans to inspect every one of their vehicles that was on the Courage, looking for damage at chassis tie-down locations and conducting a four-wheel alignment check on each one before releasing them to dealers.

The exact breakdown of the damaged vehicles is still being sorted out, but a significant number of the cars in the affected cargo hold were M3s intended for use as dealer demonstrator vehicles ahead of the full launch of the M3. A fair number of new 1 Series coupes, also intended for dealer use, were damaged as well. The remaining cars consist of customer orders and European delivery vehicles.

BMW says customers concerned about ending up with a damaged car can rest assured that any and all damage will fully disclosed before being sold to dealers. Following its long-standing policy, the damaged vehicles will be handled appropriately based on the degree of damage incurred. For instance, any vehicle whose repair costs approach or exceed its inventory value will be crushed in whole at the port.

Vehicles with damage greater than three percent of their value will be repaired and used as employee vehicles for a period of time before being sold at dealer auctions with full disclosure of the damage and repairs. After being sold at auction, the cars will carry the balance of the original factory warranty.

Cars with less than three percent damage will be repaired, after which the dealer, or the customer in the case of a special order vehicle, will be notified of the damage and repair and then given the option of accepting or refusing the car. Any repaired car that is rejected by either a dealer or a customer will be sent to a dealer auction and the vehicle will be replaced with an identical one at the earliest possible time. All repaired vehicles will carry the full factory warranty.

Those customers who were waiting for their European Delivery vehicle to arrive will have the same options and everyone else. Essentially, they can take a similar vehicle from dealer stock, or they can order an identical replacement new from the factory.

The damaged inventory is an unfortunate setback given the timing. New M3s, 128i and 135i coupes are scheduled to go on sale in just a few weeks, and the loss of at least 120 cars will certainly cause problems with their launch. The remaining 350 or so damaged cars will take weeks to repair, further hampering the introduction of these popular models. Even the process of inspecting and aligning the remainder of the shipment will hold up the delivery of several hundred cars at a time when supply is already low.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #57
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

How did the story change from tipping in port to damage at sea?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #58
jr'sxi
jr'sxi
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, sparkling graphite

Question of Damage

I contracted to purchase a 335xi and was told i may be delayed as it was on the ship BEHIND the Courage. I had delivery scheduled for Tuesday and insurance cards sent to me. On Monday I received a call from the dealer who said it would not be delivered Tuesday but probably Saturday. At that time I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and was told 'yes'. I changed the insurance effective date to Saturday.

Friday I received a call from the dealer telling me to change the effective date on the insurance as it would not be delivered Saturday and they couldn't promise exactly when it would be delivered. Again I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and again I was told 'yes'.

Something didn't smell right so I went to the WWL shipping site and entered the VIN and found out the car WAS on the Courage. I called the dealer and was furious. They said their system doesn't tell exactly which ship the car is on but they would call the port again and find out the status. They called back and told me the car had a one inch scratch on the bumper and according to BMW policy the whole bumper had to be replaced.

I explained that, having been lied to in the first instance, I was not sure how to believe them about the extent of the damage. They reiterated that it was a one inch scratch.

So, here is the question. It is hard to find the exactly equipped car anywhere near me in another dealer's inventory. One other dealer has it minus the iPod integration (which I really did want). The first dealer asked me to give them to monday to see if they could get me a delivery date. So, should I believe them about the extent of the damage? Is there any documentation? Is there a way to verify what the dealer is telling me? Would you accept this vehicle? What to do, what to do , what to do?

Thanks for input!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #59
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'sxi View Post
I contracted to purchase a 335xi and was told i may be delayed as it was on the ship BEHIND the Courage. I had delivery scheduled for Tuesday and insurance cards sent to me. On Monday I received a call from the dealer who said it would not be delivered Tuesday but probably Saturday. At that time I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and was told 'yes'. I changed the insurance effective date to Saturday.

Friday I received a call from the dealer telling me to change the effective date on the insurance as it would not be delivered Saturday and they couldn't promise exactly when it would be delivered. Again I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and again I was told 'yes'.

Something didn't smell right so I went to the WWL shipping site and entered the VIN and found out the car WAS on the Courage. I called the dealer and was furious. They said their system doesn't tell exactly which ship the car is on but they would call the port again and find out the status. They called back and told me the car had a one inch scratch on the bumper and according to BMW policy the whole bumper had to be replaced.

I explained that, having been lied to in the first instance, I was not sure how to believe them about the extent of the damage. They reiterated that it was a one inch scratch.

So, here is the question. It is hard to find the exactly equipped car anywhere near me in another dealer's inventory. One other dealer has it minus the iPod integration (which I really did want). The first dealer asked me to give them to monday to see if they could get me a delivery date. So, should I believe them about the extent of the damage? Is there any documentation? Is there a way to verify what the dealer is telling me? Would you accept this vehicle? What to do, what to do , what to do?

Thanks for input!
I would take the car and not worry about it.They're replacing the bumper,it will be good as new.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #60
jr'sxi
jr'sxi
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, sparkling graphite

Would you believe that is all they are doing and that they are being honest in their disclosure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
I would take the car and not worry about it.They're replacing the bumper,it will be good as new.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #61
328Vert_Jim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Take the car.
It's not the dealer who is responsible for disclosing the damage, it's BMW. They got their ti^'s in a wringer a few years back about not disclosing repaired damage to cars. After a serious legal battle, all appearnaces are that they are very forthcoming about any repairs. I "think" the policy is that they disclose anything over $500 worth of repairs. Since a bumper replacement will be in excess of that you should get a written disclosure statement about what was done.

Relax. The car should be perfect when you get it, BMW is going to stand behind it. Life WILL be good!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #62
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328Vert_Jim View Post
Take the car.
It's not the dealer who is responsible for disclosing the damage, it's BMW.
True words.

BTW: It can be a pain in the butt to figure out what happend to cars, since all I can do is call the port and hope that someone will help me out and give me info.

And: I would rather have a fresh painted bumper than one painted 2 month before, but that is just my .02
      02-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #63
shahils12
BALLER
Rep
Drives: 2K8 E93, 2K8 E60. N54s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'sxi View Post

Thanks for input!

or you can call Irv Robinson. He's great at finding similar equipped cars, and he's pretty competitive in his prices too...my 0002
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #64
BlueSteele
Rep
Drives: AW 335xi CP

actually, i knew a young kid, about 22 or 23 i think, had just ordered a brand new M3. He was my good friends ex-bf who was an A$$ to say the least, so i had a good laugh about it. Sorry to anyone on here who's car may have been on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #65
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

This was my worst fear. I was pleased to hear that my car is leaving the VPC today!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0