E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Acura NSX priced in Lambo Huracan/McLaren 570S/Porsche GT3 territory loaded. Mistake?

12-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Acura NSX priced in Lambo Huracan/McLaren 570S/Porsche GT3 territory loaded. Mistake?

Thoughts?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nsx-pen...c-thing-it-is/

I have a feeling this car was doomed from the start. I would have any and all of those cars, and a few more before I went to look at an NSX. At that price, I would almost definitely buy a first gen NSX before buying the new one...
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Because of all that technology the engineers put into R&D, thats why, and also because they want to "compete" with cars of that league. So yea, thats why the price is there. Much less like GM raising the price on the CTS and CTS-V because its "competing" with the 5 series so it has to have the same price of its competitors. I'm sure there will be price hikes at dealers comparable to those at Porsche.

If someone is willing to buy a Huracan or 570S, then they'll think they are getting a bargain for the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375
Because of all that technology the engineers put into R&D, thats why, and also because they want to "compete" with cars of that league. So yea, thats why the price is there. Much less like GM raising the price on the CTS and CTS-V because its "competing" with the 5 series so it has to have the same price of its competitors. I'm sure there will be price hikes at dealers comparable to those at Porsche.

If someone is willing to buy a Huracan or 570S, then they'll think they are getting a bargain for the NSX.
Really? Don't all of those other cars completely outperform the new NSX? Sure the tech is great... But then just buy a Tesla or an i8 for half the price...

I guess we'll just have to see how the car sells.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Oh HELL NO. I'm a Honda/Acura guy, as I've owned 7 Hondas/Acuras in my time, and I have to say that when they stopped producing the 3rd Gen TL Type S in 2008, they officially went full bean counter mode and stopped making cars for enthusiasts. No way I'd pay that kind of $ for that car b/c as you said, there are a plethora of cars that I would rather own; for the price of that one, I could have 2 or 3 on my list!

Rumor has it there will be a new Integra in the next few years. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

That's messed up. I love Honda but this car is weird. I watched the video review of it online and with all the electric torque vectoring and batteries and such (which only work at lower speeds), this thing is not a pure driving car as the original NSX was. This car has more in common with a SH AWD TLX than a sports car.

At $200k, forget it.

12-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
NSX = FAIL

200K no thanks, much better cars out for that price.. R8, 911 xxx, Viper, GT-R, AMG GTS

I am sure it will perform but 207k loaded.. Yeah pass, 150k loaded maybe

But truth be told.. I would take the current I8 over the NSX.. let alone the upcoming LCI improved i8.. I am sure the I8 has as much tech in it as the NSX if not more but 207.. that is cray cray

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 12-18-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
NSX = FAIL

200K no thanks, much better cars out for that price.. R8, 911 xxx, Viper, GT-R ...

I am sure it will perform but 200k loaded.. Yeah pass
Exactly. New R8 V10 plus looks amazing. ... And we can't forget about the bang for buck performance from cars like the corvette!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

They'll sell the first few, then they'll rot on dealer lots like the last of the OG NSX when they were nearly $100k.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
They'll sell the first few, then they'll rot on dealer lots like the last of the OG NSX when they were nearly $100k.
I think there will be a market adjustment and a re-pricing, within a few yrs.. If Honda doesn't, the NSX will be dead again. They took too long, spent too much and the end result isn't impressive.

Why is it that the Japanese are horrible at sports cars? Think about it

NSX
GTR ( Its a success in performance but a failure)
S2000
Z
LFA
Supra
RX-7
RX-8
WRX
EVO

All failures either by emotion and make it and forget about it...

The European/American car companies bang out sports cars and do updates and keep turning tricks...Bring innovation and emotion to the segments...

The Japanese even when looking at the SUVs, Sedans even Pickups are reliable appliances.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 12-18-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Conveniently left out the Miata, a recipe the Germans can't seem to sort out.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Conveniently left out the Miata, a recipe the Germans can't seem to sort out.
The Miata is a bred of its own... The Miata is greatness in its own

Due to its simplicity and no want for massive improvements in performance and price from generation to generation...

I think the Germans have figured it out, and I think they probably could build a better Miata... but that would result in weight, cost, z complexity of it being German.

Its the same reason why GM or Ford haven't and probably won't build a Miata competitor
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

We also can't forget the slew of amazing used cars in the 100-200k price bracket. Its not just going to compete with new cars.

Not sure of the sales goals but maybe they are super modest.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Oh HELL NO. I'm a Honda/Acura guy, as I've owned 7 Hondas/Acuras in my time, and I have to say that when they stopped producing the 3rd Gen TL Type S in 2008, they officially went full bean counter mode and stopped making cars for enthusiasts. No way I'd pay that kind of $ for that car b/c as you said, there are a plethora of cars that I would rather own; for the price of that one, I could have 2 or 3 on my list!

Rumor has it there will be a new Integra in the next few years. We'll see.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Really? Don't all of those other cars completely outperform the new NSX? Sure the tech is great... But then just buy a Tesla or an i8 for half the price...

I guess we'll just have to see how the car sells.
I haven't looked around much for the reviews but I'm sure those cars its priced near do outperform the car. I'd rather have a McLaren at these prices. The car is surely over priced.

I'm for one am not a fan of this electric motor/battery hybrids sports/super/hyper cars. Because its just something else that will fail that will reduce the performance and enjoyment of the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Chris Harris Twitter:

Quote:
I drove the NSX last week. And I'm reading some of the reviews today and wondering if I drove the same car......
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post

NSX
S2000
Z
LFA
Supra
RX-7
RX-8
WRX
EVO

The European/American car companies bang out sports cars and do updates and keep turning tricks...Bring innovation and emotion to the segments...

The Japanese even when looking at the SUVs, Sedans even Pickups are reliable appliances.
Every now and then I see comments like this and am quickly reminded that bimmerpost is a bmw forum and not a car enthusiast forum.
Appreciate 8
supra932480.00
      12-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post

NSX
S2000
Z
LFA
Supra
RX-7
RX-8
WRX
EVO

Every now and then I see comments like this and am quickly reminded that bimmerpost is a bmw forum and not a car enthusiast forum.
How so? Every one of those is either dead, about to be dead (Evo) or comically stagnant (WRX/STI). Some were great cars, like the S2k and RX7, but Honda, Toyota, Mazda and the others just don't care about having a sports car if it isn't helping the bottom line, the Miata being the one exception.

A few mid cycle fixes and the BRZ would still be relevant, but they let it sit idle and get outpaced by the Miata.

The NSX will almost certainly be a sales flop and Honda will falsely claim the sports car market is dead. While Porsche, McLaren and others continue to sell cars.

The new Supra will likely have two or three good years, then go flat and Toyota will blame the sports car market, sadly, BMW will likely do the same.

BMW actually seems more like the Japanese when it comes to sports cars, letting them get larger, more expensive, heavier and less sporty all while blaming a shrinking sports car market.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Haha no , I mean a fail as in they make good cars, but then stop. Or mess up the development along the way then kill it.

Its like they have something great, with awesome potential then just leave it.

The S2000 was a Miata killer.. great chassis, motor, was cheap.. then they stop development and let it age, sales start dropping then killed it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

I think the NSX will probably put down solid numbers and will drive well. However, it took Honda lots of time to make this. An the benchmark has changed many times since its development has started. Look at its competition, every year its updated, refined, new this or faster that to keep the current generation competitive.

The Japanese don't have a history of doing that. The only car I can say gets updates to stay competitive yearly is the GTR, but the R35 is 9yrs old and the replacement is still a few years away.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 12-18-2015 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #19
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

NSX has always been a joke. That car was so overrated back in the 90s. Supra TT was the king back then, hell I would have rather had an FD back then. Loved seeing the looks on the faces on NSX owners after I put BUS lengths on them in my BPU Supra (even before I went single, lol).

NSX is a joke. $200k for that? Hah
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I would rather have literally just about every sports/super car 100K-up over the NSX. Viper, Z06, GT3, Vantage, R8, Macca, Huracan, you name it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #21
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thats one damn expensive honda
      12-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I honestly also think the old NSX looks better than this new one. The new one doesn't strike me as a Supercar... And it definitely doesn't look as expensive as it is...
Appreciate 0