E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tech Info: E90 330i N52 Three-Stage Intake Manifold



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #573
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
44
Rep
1,738
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willstophe View Post
They also ordered the wires that connect the actuator's to the ECU.
Will... any progress on this yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #574
Not Ur Avg 3
Lieutenant Colonel
Not Ur Avg 3's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,867
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Not Ur Avg 3
lol this thread brought back from the dead? haha..
hmm did will say that hes using a stock 330 ecu? so it isnt the remapped 330 ecu? this mod would basically be getting him the same power as a stock 330? still not bad for 325's...
i wonder how much this all was...
__________________
Perfection In The Making...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #575
ianbiz
4th E90
ianbiz's Avatar
United_States
91
Rep
5,155
Posts

Drives: German
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne/Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willstophe View Post
I'm almost finished with it. I'll post images as I go along. My manifold is down at Sterling BMW Parts Department in Newport Beach and they ordered every possible bolt plus the other actuator that I'm missing. I also ordered a brand new 330i ECU direct from Tischer parts and I'm going to get a refund on my software by DTE. The parts should be in by this Thursday. Active Autowerks in Huntington Beach is doing my install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willstophe View Post
They also ordered the wires that connect the actuator's to the ECU.
Update us.
__________________
Ian
06 325 06 330 06 330 07 335 11 335 Msport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #576
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
69
Rep
2,912
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

Almost 2 F***ing years on this thread....
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #577
croat
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 01 330i - Looking into 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kanata

iTrader: (0)

Just spent hours reading all of this....there better be an update posted soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #578
2006330iFTW
Private First Class
3
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i don't think its worth it because of the little hp and tq gains. 3 hp and 3 tq for such a high price. But it does look cool when its in.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #579
happye90owner
New Member
happye90owner's Avatar
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi jet black w/terra
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Such a let down!

Wow - I just read the 27 pages and 2 years of work on this thread waiting for the epiphany every 325 owners is waiting for and a dream come true....and....nothing.

Any other thoughts regarding squeezing 25-40 extra horses out of a 2006 325xi?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #580
iAerodynamic
Colonel
iAerodynamic's Avatar
Taiwan
57
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by happye90owner View Post
Wow - I just read the 27 pages and 2 years of work on this thread waiting for the epiphany every 325 owners is waiting for and a dream come true....and....nothing.

Any other thoughts regarding squeezing 25-40 extra horses out of a 2006 325xi?

THANKS!
i know how you can squeeze out ~100 hp!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #581
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: e46 m3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fairfax, va

iTrader: (3)

I cant give anyone a definitive answer but we'll be doing a 330 intake manifold on our 328 next week and throwing it on the dyno to see what we can do.


Instead of going the tough and more expensive route by putting a 330 DME in the car we will be doing some testing with different positions of the flaps to see where the most power can be gained in what positions.

Doing this will pretty much lock everything in place not involving any kind of actuators of communication with the DME.

We are also going to go from stock airbox to the bmw performance airbox once we get max power from the airbox. Not sure if we are going to keep the performance airbox on the car but we will see what kind of real world gains that provides as well
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #582
tharptroy
Private First Class
2
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
I cant give anyone a definitive answer but we'll be doing a 330 intake manifold on our 328 next week and throwing it on the dyno to see what we can do.


Instead of going the tough and more expensive route by putting a 330 DME in the car we will be doing some testing with different positions of the flaps to see where the most power can be gained in what positions.

Doing this will pretty much lock everything in place not involving any kind of actuators of communication with the DME.

We are also going to go from stock airbox to the bmw performance airbox once we get max power from the airbox. Not sure if we are going to keep the performance airbox on the car but we will see what kind of real world gains that provides as well
This was an idea that I had as well...leave it adjusted at one level and forget it. did you ever get the chance to do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #583
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,129
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Ok guys, I might have some really good news within a week. I've been in talks with some manufacturers and suppliers and I might be able to convert 325s to 330s for less the $2000. I'm serious about this and have already scheduled time to install all the equipment. When I'm done and if it works I might be able to get group buy prices. I can't reveal the companies I'm working with but I'll be posting again once I have their blessing.

I know what you're all thinking. "I'll believe it when I see it." But I will definiately post dyno runs for you when I'm done. Christmas might come a little early this year!
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #584
Second325
Enjoying the drive...
United_States
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2010 Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cleveland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Ok guys, I might have some really good news within a week. I've been in talks with some manufacturers and suppliers and I might be able to convert 325s to 330s for less the $2000. I'm serious about this and have already scheduled time to install all the equipment. When I'm done and if it works I might be able to get group buy prices. I can't reveal the companies I'm working with but I'll be posting again once I have their blessing.

I know what you're all thinking. "I'll believe it when I see it." But I will definiately post dyno runs for you when I'm done. Christmas might come a little early this year!

Please do let us know. I just picked up a 06 325 and started wondering about this swap. After finding this post I still can't believe after two years there is no definitive answer on the performance gain? The only thing holding me back is if the 325 ECU can be reprogrammed and used? Anyone know I missed the answer in the pages and pages of this thread?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #585
iAerodynamic
Colonel
iAerodynamic's Avatar
Taiwan
57
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Ok guys, I might have some really good news within a week. I've been in talks with some manufacturers and suppliers and I might be able to convert 325s to 330s for less the $2000. I'm serious about this and have already scheduled time to install all the equipment. When I'm done and if it works I might be able to get group buy prices. I can't reveal the companies I'm working with but I'll be posting again once I have their blessing.

I know what you're all thinking. "I'll believe it when I see it." But I will definiately post dyno runs for you when I'm done. Christmas might come a little early this year!
hope all goes well!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #586
iAerodynamic
Colonel
iAerodynamic's Avatar
Taiwan
57
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
wait i thought the tranny on 325 and 330 are different so the 325 tranny can't handle that much power?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #587
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,129
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post
wait i thought the tranny on 325 and 330 are different so the 325 tranny can't handle that much power?
If my tranny can't take an extra 40hp that would be a really crappy tranny.

Anyway, how many people would actually be interested in having this done to their car assuming it works? The tuning company has to do some custom work which costs more but they would discount the price if there was a possibility of installing it on several cars. You don't have to be local, you can ship your ecu to them and they will ship it back. I'm also going to check on group pricing for the intake as well.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #588
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
118
Rep
4,039
Posts

Drives: Red thing
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post
wait i thought the tranny on 325 and 330 are different so the 325 tranny can't handle that much power?
for real that would be the worst tranny ever made if it couldnt handle day to day abuse
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #589
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,129
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second325 View Post
Please do let us know. I just picked up a 06 325 and started wondering about this swap. After finding this post I still can't believe after two years there is no definitive answer on the performance gain? The only thing holding me back is if the 325 ECU can be reprogrammed and used? Anyone know I missed the answer in the pages and pages of this thread?

Thanks
The tuning company I'm working with says it is definitely possible. However, it's not a simple matter of cut and paste. The have to make a custom
maping that will make use of the new intake manifold. The ecu of the 325 shares the same part number as the 330 as well as the engine block, pistons injectors, exhaust etc. The only differences are in the ecu programming, intake maifold and the ehaust tip.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #590
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
121
Rep
3,662
Posts

Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

The only way this will work, is if they can crack the valvetronic code on the DME. Or at least figure out a way to patch in the 330i's valvtronic profile into the 325/328 maps. If they figure that out, you wouldn't even need the 3 stage manifold to recognize significant gains, though the manifold would let them maximize the gains.

I already have a 330 intake manifold, but haven't purchased the DISA valves yet until I knew for sure that someone could figure out how to make this work.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #591
iAerodynamic
Colonel
iAerodynamic's Avatar
Taiwan
57
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
...and that still leads back to the tranny problem..? we can have the power but tranny can't handle it..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #592
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,129
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post
...and that still leads back to the tranny problem..? we can have the power but tranny can't handle it..
40hp is not a lot of horsepower. BMW is known for making stout trannies. If it can't handle 40 extra hp then it probably can't even hadle daily driving.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #593
iAerodynamic
Colonel
iAerodynamic's Avatar
Taiwan
57
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
40hp is not a lot of horsepower. BMW is known for making stout trannies. If it can't handle 40 extra hp then it probably can't even hadle daily driving.
in that case time to save up!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #594
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,129
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Update: The tuning company is Powerchip located in Newport Beach. I just paid them a visit this morning and they loaded the 330i software. However, thier dyno was not available. Also they are in the process of moving their shop so the intake was not intalled yet. The car runs fine with the 330i mapping but it hesitates on low revs and high load (probably due the lack of intake). I'm intalling the intake this afternoon and will let you guys know. Also, after a few weeks I'm going to do some tuning on the dyno.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST