E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tech Info: E90 330i N52 Three-Stage Intake Manifold



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #837
sameNEWstory
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2009 Jet Black E90 328i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, I've got a used 3 stage manifold I'm planning on installing on my 328i, and I took it apart to inspect the DISA valves before installing... The large valve is broken, and the small valve appears fine (flap won't move when I wiggle it. I'm wondering if it's worth fixing the large valve with a repair kit, or if I should just replace the entire valve. What is making me consider replacing the entire unit is that the green seals are peeling off... What would you guys recommend. I'm also including a picture of the smaller valve, as that has some wear on the green seal as well...
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #838
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
889
Rep
3,886
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

IIRC the repair kit comes with a metal shaft that won't break again - that's what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #839
minaret
Private
9
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hi Desert, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Don't flame me. I searched and couldn't find a post in this thread about using the 3-Stage conversion/ecu flash and passing California emissions.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #840
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
889
Rep
3,886
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

it should pass. the 3-stage is indistinguishable on the outside from the single stage. the only real difference is the manifold has mounting holes for the DISA valves - they are identical otherwise.

the 3 stage also came on cars that meet California emissions like the 330i and 328i with N51.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #841
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
121
Rep
3,662
Posts

Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Don't flame me. I searched and couldn't find a post in this thread about using the 3-Stage conversion/ecu flash and passing California emissions.

I can confirm that the 3IM does indeed pass california emissions with the AA tune. Actually, I need to go get another smog here in the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #842
anjuna
Private First Class
United_States
34
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

so i did this today.

some comments, maybe covered here before.

1. long DISA connector goes UNDER the intake runners. i had to search more than i feel like i should have for this.

2. short DISA connector goes to outside connector.

you can't plug these in wrong, due to cable length, but i am confirming this as above.

3. intake manifold 11mm bolts and nuts torque to 11ft-lb
3b. i torqued the throttle body to 7ft/lb when installing. not sure if right. but definitely not too little.

4. I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold before pulling the electrical hub underneath. i couldn't get the tabs loose so i unbolted the bracket from the intake.

5. i swapped all sensors from the old manifold to the new one.

6. even if the PCV is different on your donor manifold, your existing tubing WILL bolt up.

7. with enough patience, NOTHING will break, including the breather hose everyone seems to break.

8. there are differences between the pelican DIY and different cars. you do you and don't expect every step to be documented or the same as any DIY.

9. i did this job in 2 hours, taking my time. be patient. BMW engineers did a good job. have the right tools.

10. you'll need to remove the upper cowl, and pelican doesn't list this as a step. FYI.

11. i don't feel anything different, but have plans with a tune.

good luck to anyone else out there!
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #843
AWSB328iM
Second Lieutenant
AWSB328iM's Avatar
United_States
93
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Memphis, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
so i did this today.

some comments, maybe covered here before.

1. long DISA connector goes UNDER the intake runners. i had to search more than i feel like i should have for this.

2. short DISA connector goes to outside connector.

you can't plug these in wrong, due to cable length, but i am confirming this as above.

3. intake manifold 11mm bolts and nuts torque to 11ft-lb
3b. i torqued the throttle body to 7ft/lb when installing. not sure if right. but definitely not too little.

4. I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold before pulling the electrical hub underneath. i couldn't get the tabs loose so i unbolted the bracket from the intake.

5. i swapped all sensors from the old manifold to the new one.

6. even if the PCV is different on your donor manifold, your existing tubing WILL bolt up.

7. with enough patience, NOTHING will break, including the breather hose everyone seems to break.

8. there are differences between the pelican DIY and different cars. you do you and don't expect every step to be documented or the same as any DIY.

9. i did this job in 2 hours, taking my time. be patient. BMW engineers did a good job. have the right tools.

10. you'll need to remove the upper cowl, and pelican doesn't list this as a step. FYI.

11. i don't feel anything different, but have plans with a tune.

good luck to anyone else out there!
Does the 2 hour labor quote include removing the original single stage manifold? Thanks so much for the detailed update. I have experience removing and installing several S52/M52 manifolds on the E36 chassis so I'm sure this isn't much different.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #844
anjuna
Private First Class
United_States
34
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
Does the 2 hour labor quote include removing the original single stage manifold? Thanks so much for the detailed update. I have experience removing and installing several S52/M52 manifolds on the E36 chassis so I'm sure this isn't much different.
Yes. the two hour time frame was from hood up to first rev. it sounds like you have mechanical aptitude, so with that comfort level i'd say 2 hours will be plenty.

i will honestly say i spent 30 minutes trying to get the electrical harness thing off the intake before realizing i could just unbolt it. i also spent about 30 minutes taking the old manifold apart for the hoses, throttle body, and map, while spending some time cleaning a few areas i would never be able to get to otherwise. i also had to deal with a broken map on the new manifold that required fun removal.

it's all very basic tools required. i cheat and use a small electric impact for everything except tightening of torque critical fasteners.

i promise you will not break the pipe everyone breaks of you just give it some tender love.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #845
adonnan
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 09 E91
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

The 530 manifold fits on a 328 right? They're both N52 so I don't see why it would be any different.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #846
BimmerGeeks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BimmerGeeks's Avatar
721
Rep
1,362
Posts


Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
The 530 manifold fits on a 328 right? They're both N52 so I don't see why it would be any different.
Yes
__________________

Pro K+DCAN Cables | ENET Cables | Remote Coding | Software Setup | DME Cloning | Key Replacement | Map Updates | Diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #847
Biginboca
Private
21
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
The 530 manifold fits on a 328 right? They're both N52 so I don't see why it would be any different.
Just to add something here because I haven't seen it posted yet....

You can also use a 528i intake manifold but it has a large heatsink on it. (The heatsink is not removable because it forms the outer wall of 2 of the intake runners.)

I was able to Bolt it up but I had to trim the large engine cover to fit around the heatsink and you can no longer use the long plastic cosmetic manifold cover that fits on the driver side of the manifold. So yes a 528i manifold also works but cosmetically it's not attractive.



https://flic.kr/p/VjChL5

Last edited by Biginboca; 07-10-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #848
tom.gnade
3IM, AA tune, Euro/Rev intake
United_States
15
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Forest Hill, MD

iTrader: (1)

3IM club

I am now the newest member of the 3IM club. I finished everything up about 30 minutes ago and just took her for an early morning joy ride.

I don't work on cars much, so it was a difficult job for me, probably the most challenging thing I've attempted on my car to date. It took me about 5 hours to finish. I had no problem at all getting the vacuum hose off, but I did have to remove the entire cabin air filter, cowl, and engine cover. The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips. The other goof I made was dropping one of the silver sleeves out of the power steering fluid reservoir rubber mounts. I'll have to order another one and put it back in.

I'm not going to lie, I said a little prayer before I started it. I was just a bit worried I had missed something. To my relief, it started right up and idled nice and smoothly. I let it warm up, and then took it up to redline a few times and ran it kindof hard on some curvy back roads I drive all the time.

The car feels more aggressive, for sure. I don't know if it will continue to adapt, or if the AA tune shows the full benefit immediately. Either way, it was worth it, even though it was tough. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't want to do it again!
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #849
AWSB328iM
Second Lieutenant
AWSB328iM's Avatar
United_States
93
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Memphis, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
I am now the newest member of the 3IM club. I finished everything up about 30 minutes ago and just took her for an early morning joy ride.

I don't work on cars much, so it was a difficult job for me, probably the most challenging thing I've attempted on my car to date. It took me about 5 hours to finish. I had no problem at all getting the vacuum hose off, but I did have to remove the entire cabin air filter, cowl, and engine cover. The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips. The other goof I made was dropping one of the silver sleeves out of the power steering fluid reservoir rubber mounts. I'll have to order another one and put it back in.

I'm not going to lie, I said a little prayer before I started it. I was just a bit worried I had missed something. To my relief, it started right up and idled nice and smoothly. I let it warm up, and then took it up to redline a few times and ran it kindof hard on some curvy back roads I drive all the time.

The car feels more aggressive, for sure. I don't know if it will continue to adapt, or if the AA tune shows the full benefit immediately. Either way, it was worth it, even though it was tough. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't want to do it again!
There are several videos on YouTube about starter replacements that show you everything to do. I'm certain I could complete the job in under two hours. It's actually very simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #850
tom.gnade
3IM, AA tune, Euro/Rev intake
United_States
15
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Forest Hill, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
There are several videos on YouTube about starter replacements that show you everything to do. I'm certain I could complete the job in under two hours. It's actually very simple.
I used the Pelican guide and this forum, they were very helpful. Now that I've done it once I would feel a bit more comfortable doing it again, but I wouldn't call that a simple job for most people.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #851
PhaseP
Major
188
Rep
1,191
Posts

Drives: 325XI
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness to release from the metal bracket, what a pain in the butt. I broke one of the clips.
For others sake, the wiring harness box is not made to be removed from the metal bracket. Metal bracket has barbs that is meant to be one time fit.

The correct way is to remove the metal bracket together with the wiring harness box from the manifold. The bracket has two torx screws on each end of it, undo those it is free from the manifold. The screws are not easy to see, but easy to find by hand.

They are number 4 in second picture at this link:

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...nifold_(n52k)/
Appreciate 2
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST