E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The romance is fading

07-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
1POINT9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z3/JCW Mini/328i NO AUTOMATICS

Holding door open and tapping fingers............ :iono:

Nawww just kidding.. In all seriousness.. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. For me its more than just brute power or noteriety for what I am driving..
Its a combination of the experience as a whole.. I think BMW offers many levels of enjoyment all in "1" package..

Either way.. both cars will bring years of joy I am sure..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You are obviously torn about buying a foreign car, Deutsch. IIRC you started the why not buy American thread and now you're looking to do just that. Go for the Camaro if it makes you happy. It's a cool looking concept, and it probably will be a decent car, but I highly doubt it can hold a candle to the 135i on the twisties (or likely in a straight line), but as long as it makes you happy...
Ok, so you're saying a 300 hp 6 cylinder will run with a 430 hp V8 when the cars will probably only have about a 400 lb difference.

I HIGHLY doubt that.
      07-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #25
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Fellas I can see where your coming from. But the Camaro?? Oh nooo. I mean you know Chevy is going to water that down so it looks like a rental car mustang. I would take the Dodge Challenger. That thing is going to be ROCKIN. I stray away sometime from my 1 series but I keep on coming back.
Actually it has been said by insiders at GM, including Bob Lutz himself that they only way they could tell the difference between the Concept and the Production version of the Camaro was the door handles and the wheels, and maybe the side mirrors.

Otherwise, it is supposed to remain unchanged on the outside and also mostly unchanged on the inside as well.
      07-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #26
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
Ok, so you're saying a 300 hp 6 cylinder will run with a 430 hp V8 when the cars will probably only have about a 400 lb difference.

I HIGHLY doubt that.
Have you ever seen a stock Ford Mustang Cobra on the autocross course? It's a tail happy fun thing to watch, but it gets eaten alive by a LOT lesser cars than even my e90 330i.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #27
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Have you ever seen a stock Ford Mustang Cobra on the autocross course? It's a tail happy fun thing to watch, but it gets eaten alive by a LOT lesser cars than even my e90 330i.
Why that's like watching a weimaraner chasing a poodle around in a mobile home. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I've come to the conclusion that i'M going to keep my options completely open and set aside the slightly retarded nationalist pride. I've heard that there will be an A5 2.0T, so I'm going to include that on my list as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #29
brfbmw128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Corvette's? Camaro's?
Two of the smartest guys on this site having second thoughts?
Look, I know that keeping an open mind is a sign of intelligence but it's way too early
for a fog to set in.
Me- I'm more sure than I've ever been. The 1-er might be the coolest best looking car BMW
makes.
My second thoughts might appear when we finally see some $#'s...:biggrin::biggrin:
im on the same boat as brookside, i looked at every car possible, and when i thought i was done; i looked again...the 1-Series has got me sprung. unless price says other wise, im a 1-er all day.:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #30
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think Deutsch just watched Transformers recently. :wink:

The new Camaros don't come with Megan Fox unfortunately.
      08-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #31
brfbmw128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post

:eyebulge:so that means they do transform though.........right man i think i want a camaro now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #32
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I have a 10 year old BMW. As long as you properly maintain it.. you're good to go. I even track and autocross the car a LOT. It's still extremely dependable.

I think the recent BMW offerings are of even higher quality. Plus, you don't have to pay anything for quite a few years (including brake pads and even windshield wipers)... GM won't do that, and there's a reason they won't.
Well said and very true. Looking at more information(in particular on Bimmerfest, BMW's don't cost that much more to maintain than any other car. For some reason people like to make a much to do about nothing(myself included) - a common mis-perception then? Fact is you get what you pay for, and for this level of quality and engineering, there is a price. But it's not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post

Very true. I love the Camaro, a great looking car, the more I think about it though there are a lot of questions I have, especially in regards to long term ownership. I just don't see this car being as solid as one from a German/Japanese make.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #33
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

I wouldnt blame you if you got the new SS. It's fast, looks nice, and is probably easily modable (LS motors ftw).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #34
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

did u just watch transformers

that movie made me consider the car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #35
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Just pick up the 6yr/100K extended maintenance for 800-1000. That's not bad at all... Then you don't have to pay for anything but tires and gas for that period. After 100K miles, get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #36
9600baud
Private
Rep
Drives: Feet

Camaro? You want a mullet and a wifebeater to go with it? I hear WalMart is hiring.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
I've come to the conclusion that i'M going to keep my options completely open and set aside the slightly retarded nationalist pride. I've heard that there will be an A5 2.0T, so I'm going to include that on my list as well.
I have only ever owned "american" cars (american in quotes since my gto was not built in the US) but never because they were american. I pick the car that best suites my wants at my budget and go from there. Luckily now my budget allows me a very wide array of choices and this is the first time I'm seriously considering a BMW. The camaro is also on my short list and so is the challenger (so long as it comes with the rumored 6.4 liter "hemi" and handles as well the srt8 charger)

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm all over the place from day to day and can't even think about making a choice until each and every car on the list is test driven (a couple of times)

Appreciate 0