E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help! LED Halo is Flickering

09-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
dkay1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Question Help! LED Halo is Flickering

Today on my way to the car, I used the remote to unlock the doors. I noticed that the left set of Angel Halo lights came on just fine; however, the right side was flickering (like in the Matrix!).

I know that the bulbs are good as I replaced the OEM bulbs with LEDs from Burger Motorsport: http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_LED_angel_eyes.html

Specific bulbs were 'option 2'. The bulbs have worked great, just I don't understand the flicker. I've already verified the fuse is good and the contacts are not degraded. I haven't yet moved the LED bulb from one side to the other, nor have I checked the voltage on the lines with a multimeter... I know I have to get inside the wheel well to check these things.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? I'm suprised as the car is not throwing any codes, nor is there any damage to the chassis. Vehicle information is: 2007 BMW 335i, mfg. 06/07.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

could you post a video? it's odd that they're both not doing it. when you start your car, does it do it then?

i'm not sure why they both are/aren't doing it but it's probably the cold bulb check. since LED's turn on/off much faster than halogens, the pulsating voltage to check that there are bulbs, will actually be displayed by the LED's. whereas halogens take a little time and you won't see the same pulsating or flickering.
      09-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkay1 View Post
Today on my way to the car, I used the remote to unlock the doors. I noticed that the left set of Angel Halo lights came on just fine; however, the right side was flickering (like in the Matrix!).

I know that the bulbs are good as I replaced the OEM bulbs with LEDs from Burger Motorsport: http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_LED_angel_eyes.html

Specific bulbs were 'option 2'. The bulbs have worked great, just I don't understand the flicker. I've already verified the fuse is good and the contacts are not degraded. I haven't yet moved the LED bulb from one side to the other, nor have I checked the voltage on the lines with a multimeter... I know I have to get inside the wheel well to check these things.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? I'm suprised as the car is not throwing any codes, nor is there any damage to the chassis. Vehicle information is: 2007 BMW 335i, mfg. 06/07.

TIA
- Check Battery
- switch the led to the other side
- how old are the LED kit
- if battery is good, flickering follows and LED are less than a year old ; contact Burger Tuning the LED might be defected.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
david.c.kay1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BW 335i (Crimson Red)

Battery is only a few days old (just had it replaced after 7 years). I did swap the LED bulbs and the problem followed the bulb. Also, just this morning the on board computer indicated a problem with the front right LED (moved the LEDs back to their original spot). It appears that the LED is defective. Sad as I only installed them about two months ago. I'll be contacting Burger Motorsport to see if I can get it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
More oft than not, the LED power supply that is incorporated with each LED AE unit individually, is going bad.

Soon after the flickering comes the totally out situation

Had same problem with my Lux V3 AE's after about 2-1/2 yr, of course, out of the warranty replacement plan, but they DID offer to fix for a reduced price - I decided to just go with different mfg. instead as a change.

Kinda surprised that you are getting a dash warning

Even on my 09' I had to code out both the Cold/Warm bulb checks & Error Reporting to eliminate the flickering during initial startup during the OEM bulb check process - so I would never get an error on dash about them.

So you must have just not cared that they flickered during initial startup, or not noticed?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
dkay1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The bulbs never flickered during initial startup, warm or cold. What makes matters more interesting is that the right LED works off and on. One minute I'll be sitting at a stop light, turn off the lights (0) and then back on (II) and then the right LED doesn't work. Two minutes later it will start working again.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a contact problem between the LED and the connector...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
david.c.kay1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BW 335i (Crimson Red)

Took the bulb out today, and tested the LED. It is definitely defective. I've contact Burger MotorSport to see about getting a replacement.
Appreciate 0