E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade Review?

01-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #111
Halston@bsw
Rep
Drives: 99 M3 - 89 325i - 86 535i

On the coupe front, the car has required complete retooling to create coupe specific drivers. The coupe, and also convertible, require very specific mounting depth speakers. It is going to be a couple of months on the final release. Not the best of news for those that are excited for them but I can assure you we are working on them and will release ASAP. The forum will definitely know as well
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #112
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

i'm quite curious how you are going to handle the optical/digital trans code to analog for the stage 2 amplifier - is the DSP also in the factory logic 7 amplifier?

i noticed that you mention there will be a RCA out for adding additional amplifiers/subwoofers. will the output be a sum of all channels? will a "remote" switching output also be provided to further simplify the installation of additional amplifiers/subwoofers? these features would add SIGNIFICANT value to a stage 2 upgrade.

stage 1 + stage 2 + separate amp and subwoofer would really put a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #113
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@bsw View Post
On the coupe front, the car has required complete retooling to create coupe specific drivers. The coupe, and also convertible, require very specific mounting depth speakers. It is going to be a couple of months on the final release. Not the best of news for those that are excited for them but I can assure you we are working on them and will release ASAP. The forum will definitely know as well
Do you have a definitive answer on how deep the front midrange speakers can be, maximum, on the coupe/convertible ??!! Many thanks....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #114
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
The P/N of both the Individual Audio 4" mids in the front doors are the same regardless of the 3 Series body (Coupe, Sedan, Convertible).

So, what is this "specific" mounting depth speakers for just the Coupe and Convertible? As long as the 4" mids are less than 50mm in depth they will fit...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #115
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

I wonder if most of the speakers would fit now and they are only holding up the package for the 4" on the doors. I would rather replace everything now and then then just throw in the door when it is available in who knows how long rather than wait a few months for the complete package to be ready.

Halston - Can you confirm this? Can we buy majority of the speakers now?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #116
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftconstruct View Post
I wonder if most of the speakers would fit now and they are only holding up the package for the 4" on the doors. I would rather replace everything now and then then just throw in the door when it is available in who knows how long rather than wait a few months for the complete package to be ready.

Halston - Can you confirm this? Can we buy majority of the speakers now?
I don't think that the issue is the mounting depth (less than 50mm) of any of the 4" mids, the issue should be the rear mounting points and configuration difference between the Sedan and the Coupe/Convertible 4" mids.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #117
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i 2009

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, 100% Plug and Play.

I just got an email back from my engineer and the graphs and detailed specs are coming!

Pricing is on our site
Even a kid will know the basics about a speaker. I want to know the RMS watts of this speakers. For $600 I could buy great speakers like Focal, Hertz or Diamond Audio which fit at the front doors and sound great. The problem about the non-logic speakers is the lack of an equalizer and a good amplifier.

Last edited by manuelpolaco; 03-28-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #118
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpolaco View Post
Even a kid will know the basics about a speaker. I want to know the RMS watts of this speakers. For $600 I could buy great speakers like Focal, Hertz or Diamond Audio which fit at the front doors and sound great. The problem about the non-logic speakers is the lack of an equalizer and a good amplifier.
I've seen people constantly ask for those details (myself included) what gives???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #119
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Speakers don't have RMS watts. If these speakers are intended to be run off of the OEM BMW amp, all they have to do is handle that power. Any additional power handling is irrelevant. If the speaker does have more power handling, it has ZERO to do with sound quality - doesn't make it sound better.

Manual, you may want to learn more about how to evaluate speakers.

There are areas, like off-axis response, resonant frequency and "Q" characteristics, and distortion components, which can make clear differences in how a speaker sounds.

BSW doesn't usually share these details either, but they COULD...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #120
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
What the hell ever happened to BSW's audio upgrade. Everytime they said a few weeks and its been sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. WTF
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #121
renpar61
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i coupe

yeah! WTF
my lease will be over before the system is available...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #122
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
yeah! WTF
my lease will be over before the system is available...
lol me 2, or just so close to the end of it that it wouldnt be worth it.

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #123
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't think that the issue is the mounting depth (less than 50mm) of any of the 4" mids, the issue should be the rear mounting points and configuration difference between the Sedan and the Coupe/Convertible 4" mids.
Believe it or not, the depth of the mid on the coupe needs to be about an inch or so. Any more and the window hits the magnet as it rolls down.

Sedan, depth not an issue. I used to own an E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #124
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Believe it or not, the depth of the mid on the coupe needs to be about an inch or so. Any more and the window hits the magnet as it rolls down.

Sedan, depth not an issue. I used to own an E90.
I do have an E90 as well.

Regardless of the E9x chassis (Sedan, Coupe, Convertible) all share the exact same 4" mid depths, as their respective (as in front door mids in the Sedan to front door mids in the Coupe and so on) 4" mids P/N are exactly the same.

That's what I don't understand; if the mids depths are the same across the models and the only thing different is the mounting points then what is this "specific mounting depth"?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #125
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Speakers don't have RMS watts. If these speakers are intended to be run off of the OEM BMW amp, all they have to do is handle that power. Any additional power handling is irrelevant. If the speaker does have more power handling, it has ZERO to do with sound quality - doesn't make it sound better.

Manual, you may want to learn more about how to evaluate speakers.

There are areas, like off-axis response, resonant frequency and "Q" characteristics, and distortion components, which can make clear differences in how a speaker sounds.

BSW doesn't usually share these details either, but they COULD...
I will like to know the rms of the speakers if I want to use them with a aftermarket amp. Like I say before, I'm not a speaker expert, but IMO knowing the rms and the frequency response it enough information for me. The other stuff, I leave it to the experts
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #126
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpolaco View Post
I will like to know the rms of the speakers if I want to use them with a aftermarket amp. Like I say before, I'm not a speaker expert, but IMO knowing the rms and the frequency response it enough information for me. The other stuff, I leave it to the experts
Well, the RMS doesn't tell you squat, and the frequency response is made up by the marketing department too, so I guess you're an easy guy to sell speakers to... come on, Manuel, you can do better than that
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #127
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, the RMS doesn't tell you squat, and the frequency response is made up by the marketing department too, so I guess you're an easy guy to sell speakers to... come on, Manuel, you can do better than that
Like we say "el papel aguanta todo", the paper handle everything. Any information in the speaker manual or box is made by the marketing department. The final judge when choosing a speaker is your ear.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #128
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, Piramid speakers are the best!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #129
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
I do have an E90 as well.

Regardless of the E9x chassis (Sedan, Coupe, Convertible) all share the exact same 4" mid depths, as their respective (as in front door mids in the Sedan to front door mids in the Coupe and so on) 4" mids P/N are exactly the same.

That's what I don't understand; if the mids depths are the same across the models and the only thing different is the mounting points then what is this "specific mounting depth"?
On the E90, it's possible to install a much deeper speaker than stock. On the E92, you can't, the curvature of the door panel places the speakers magnet much closer to the window mechanism.

The Morel Hybrid Ovations that I tried to install in my E92 were only 2" deep and there's no way in hell I could make them work without major door panel/grille modifications.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #130
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
On the E90, it's possible to install a much deeper speaker than stock. On the E92, you can't, the curvature of the door panel places the speakers magnet much closer to the window mechanism.

The Morel Hybrid Ovations that I tried to install in my E92 were only 2" deep and there's no way in hell I could make them work without major door panel/grille modifications.
That's not my point, my point is with BSW trying to separate a Coupe from the Sedan Stage 1 application when the OEM speakers are the same.

They can setup a Coupe Stage 1 with their Sedan drivers with minor changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #131
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
That's not my point, my point is with BSW trying to separate a Coupe from the Sedan Stage 1 application when the OEM speakers are the same.

They can setup a Coupe Stage 1 with their Sedan drivers with minor changes.
From the pictures I've seen, they'd need to shave off 3/4" from the magnet to make a sedan speaker fit into a coupe.

I don't build speakers but that doesn't seem minor to me.

Or am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #132
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
From the pictures I've seen, they'd need to shave off 3/4" from the magnet to make a sedan speaker fit into a coupe.

I don't build speakers but that doesn't seem minor to me.

Or am i missing something?
No, they don't...

E90 Individual Audio Mid (front doors): P/N 65137838905
E92 Individual Audio Mid (front doors and rear side panels): P/N 65137838905

The mid speakers can be the exact same size between the Sedan and the Coupe if BSW really wanted them to be...
Appreciate 0