E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil cooler/oil filter housing leak. No warranty.

12-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Oil cooler/oil filter housing leak. No warranty.

Took my car (08 e92 59k) for an oil change today and the tech discovered there are oil leak around the oil filter and to replace it would cost around 785, 650 is labor alone.
He said it's not a major problem, but recommend gettin it done soon. I bought the extended warranty through this company called A LA CAR, and have all option checked (including engine, seal and gasket). Apparently, oil cooler and oil filter and housing is not written under engine & coin component, so it won't be covered. Also, gasket and seals are only covered if it's from a covered component listed under engine component. Since it's not it won't be covered under seals and gasket either. Talked to the manager on the warranty, and there is nothing they can do since it's written black and white.

Is there anything worth upgrading if I was to do this job?
Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Must be pretty common. Dealer quoted me $871 although since my turbos are being replaced under warranty he said labor overlaps so it will be $550.

This is exactly what I didn't buy an extended warranty. The two main things that fail (turbos and HPFP) are covered under extended warranty and unless you get an extended warranty with good faith practices they'll look for loop holes not to cover shit. How in the world is the oil filter housing not covered as part of an engine component (technically besides the long block you could consider anything attached not part of the engine).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
jmb85
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I just replaced mine today, took me about 4 hours but I took my time to clean all the leaked oil. I followed this DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791674
Appreciate 1