E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Progman Update

09-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
ShadeZeRO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Progman Update

Hey,

What's the best way to convince a SA to perform a Progman update?

I had a hard enough time just for him to admit that I needed an iDrive update (for MP3 support).

I have the Progman Versions, and a few SIBs written down but not sure howto proceed.

Last edited by ShadeZeRO; 09-24-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
The latest list of PROGMAN (CIP) is located here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...38&postcount=9

As far as getting an upgrade it is the usual way: have a documented issue that is fixed by more current software. They even now include a statement in such SIBs that when the software is updated to fix the particular issue that ALL modules are updated if not up to the current level.
      09-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
ShadeZeRO
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post
The latest list of PROGMAN (CIP) is located here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...38&postcount=9

As far as getting an upgrade it is the usual way: have a documented issue that is fixed by more current software. They even now include a statement in such SIBs that when the software is updated to fix the particular issue that ALL modules are updated if not up to the current level.
Are you referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIB PDF
Programming/Coding Explainations 09 07 07 September-08 ALL Progman Version vs. Vehicle Data Status (update to 7/08) 30.00.02 latest shown
? I gave my SA that SIB #, he said they wont update it unless there is a specific issue.
All the details on my Progman Version Table just says "Coding & programming" or "UNK"
Doesn't give me much to work with
      09-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO View Post
Are you referring to:

? I gave my SA that SIB #, he said they wont update it unless there is a specific issue.
All the details on my Progman Version Table just says "Coding & programming" or "UNK"
Doesn't give me much to work with
No, by specific issue I mean for example you might have the jolt/delay issue on an auto tranny (SIB 24 03 08) which is fixed by coding with new software. That would get you the upgrade. You have to have a PROBLEM and that problem has to be fixed by a software upgrade.

Since BMW no longer publishes a SIB on PROGMAN that simply lists what it fixes there is no quick and easy list to work with. If you don't have a real complaint, do not expect to get a software update.

IF you have issues post them up and maybe there is an SIB that covers it.
      09-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
ShadeZeRO
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post
No, by specific issue I mean for example you might have the jolt/delay issue on an auto tranny (SIB 24 03 08) which is fixed by coding with new software. That would get you the upgrade. You have to have a PROBLEM and that problem has to be fixed by a software upgrade.

Since BMW no longer publishes a SIB on PROGMAN that simply lists what it fixes there is no quick and easy list to work with. If you don't have a real complaint, do not expect to get a software update.

IF you have issues post them up and maybe there is an SIB that covers it.
Funny thing is, I've had jolts before, and delays from Stop.
I figured it was the gas I was using.
I guess i'll bring it in.
      10-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Could you expand on the Jolt or delay?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
See

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240308g.htm

If you want details of a specific SIB then replace the 6 numbers in the link above with the number of the SIB you require. The above link provides details of SIB 24 03 08

Tony
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
ShadeZeRO
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Could you expand on the Jolt or delay?
They were random, and seem to have gone away. Im assuming i just had bad gas in the car.

Worst part with my idrive update is that I can't get back into the diagnostic menu. So I can't tell which CIP i have.
      10-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

The reasons we would update the software are: You have a problem that is solved with programming, we replace a control module, or we retrofit something such as sirius.
Or you could pay to have it updated.
Appreciate 0