E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Wheel/Tire Purchase Denver/Online for Spring/Summer?

03-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
zirc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Wheel/Tire Purchase Denver/Online for Spring/Summer?

Hey all, looking for some guidance. This is the first season I've used Snow Tires, bought some Blizzak's and I've been very impressed, this is for my 328xi, my original tires are just about shot - so what I'm looking to do for spring/summer is purchase some nice new performance tires/wheels (I want to get some cool black rims possibly) - any recommendations? Online stores, or local retail in Denver would be preferable if prices are decent.

That way I'll have a nice set of winter tires, and performance for the other seasons, and from what I understand, can take them on/off myself. Any thoughts/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

When do folks change their tires usually, end of this month? Depends?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

If you don't track your car, tires don't make that much difference. I wouldn't waste too much money on expensive tires (plus high performance tires don't last long).

I had the nitto nt05 and falken 452 for the summer and could t complain other than they didn't last long.

I am still trying to get rid of my iforged daytona black wheels with polished lips if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, you can buy tires/wheels from discount tire. Just shop online and let them know what you want. They'll price match
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Are you on 17s or 18s? Congratulations on getting a new set of wheels and tires. It's really, really nice to have the best set of tires on your car for the season you are driving in. You will never go back to A/S.

For tires and in my personal experience for what I ~think~ you want, something like these two:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW

As Alfred said, normal driving not much difference. For wear you will want to probably get a tire with a higher UTQG rating (in general, higher UTQG means longer wear but less grip). If you really like spirited driving consider the Michelin PSS - a very popular tire with a higher UTQG but even has good enough grip - probably the best grip in its UTQG class - for an occasional track day. In my stinky opinion I think tires that aren't great in rain ~are~ great in Colorado, it doesn't rain much here and tires good in rain generally have more medium to larger sized water channels that don't help when it is dry. That property alone inherently reduces amount of total tire contact and causes more tread 'block' movement. Again, things you don't want when it's dry. (Just about every performance factor to tires has a trade off.)

I am partial to "Extreme Performance Summer Tires". These type of tires get me only through 2 summers typically. However, they are all low on the UTQG scale and have great grip. Since late last summer, I am currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and I am not that impressed. (I think Bridgestone did a great marketing job and I got sucked into the hype.) My all time favorite street summer tires are Yokohama AD-08s (on my 3rd or 4th set now).

Last edited by IN54NITY; 03-16-2015 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
zirc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN54NITY View Post
Are you on 17s or 18s? Congratulations on getting a new set of wheels and tires. It's really, really nice to have the best set of tires on your car for the season you are driving in. You will never go back to A/S.

For tires and in my personal experience for what I ~think~ you want, something like these two:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW

As Alfred said, normal driving not much difference. For wear you will want to probably get a tire with a higher UTQG rating (in general, higher UTQG means longer wear but less grip). If you really like spirited driving consider the Michelin PSS - a very popular tire with a higher UTQG but even has good enough grip - probably the best grip in its UTQG class - for an occasional track day. In my stinky opinion I think tires that aren't great in rain ~are~ great in Colorado, it doesn't rain much here and tires good in rain generally have more medium to larger sized water channels that don't help when it is dry. That property alone inherently reduces amount of total tire contact and causes more tread 'block' movement. Again, things you don't want when it's dry. (Just about every performance factor to tires has a trade off.)

I am partial to "Extreme Performance Summer Tires". These type of tires get me only through 2 summers typically. However, they are all low on the UTQG scale and have great grip. Since late last summer, I am currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and I am not that impressed. (I think Bridgestone did a great marketing job and I got sucked into the hype.) My all time street summer tires are Yokohama AD-08s (on my 3rd or 4th set now).
Thank you for the reply! Agreed, this is exciting, after owning my car 4 years now I'm looking to switch things up! I have the basic 225/45 R 17's.

Those Michelin Pilot Super Sport look great and seem actually very well priced, probably a stupid question, but I assume these are not run flats? Do I need to buy an extra for a 'spare'?

It seems they will function in 'wet' conditions if it does rain, or do you think the continentals are better for that? I'd like to have something safe for the other seasons (minus winter of course), but still fun to drive and won't wear too fast.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you're afraid running a non flat without having a spare, then buy a spare. I never had a spare in my trunk and never had an issue. Your luck may not be the same as mine/others, but AAA/your family/friend is just a call away if something does happen. If I were you, I wouldn't sacrifice the "performance" you'd get from a non flat
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
zirc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
If you're afraid running a non flat without having a spare, then buy a spare. I never had a spare in my trunk and never had an issue. Your luck may not be the same as mine/others, but AAA/your family/friend is just a call away if something does happen. If I were you, I wouldn't sacrifice the "performance" you'd get from a non flat
Makes sense, I've read it's way worth it to get away from the run flats. Good call on Discount Tire, didn't realize they have a pretty good selection of wheels, which seem decently priced, what size would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
^ Yep. AAA works for me too, and no, Michelin PSS are ~not~ RFTs.

To answer your inquiry it depends on the width of the tire you want. I would recommend 8.5" wide at like ET32 or so (FYI: BMW Style 189 wheels, which is what you get with sport package at least with the 335i, are 18"D wheels and come in 8" wide in front with an ET of 34 and 8.5" wide in back with an ET of 37, but I always thought the wheels were a little "inside" for my liking with these offsets.) You can put 8.5" wheels in front for your car, this affords you tire widths from 215 up to 255, and certainly 8.5" in back. (FYI, I run 9" wide all around.) This is where you will have to do your homework.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 03-16-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
zirc
Private
Rep

Quote:
^ Yep. AAA works for me too, and no, Michelin PSS are ~not~ RFTs.

To answer your inquiry it depends on the width of the tire you want. I would recommend 8.5" wide at like ET32 or so (FYI: BMW Style 189 wheels, which is what you get with sport package at least with the 335i, are 18"D wheels and come in 8" wide in front with an ET of 34 and 8.5" wide in back with an ET of 37, but I always thought the wheels were a little "inside" for my liking with these offsets.) You can put 8.5" wheels in front for your car, this affords you tire widths from 215 up to 255, and certainly 8.5" in back. (FYI, I run 9" wide all around.) This is where you will have to do your homework.
Ah it gets more complicated! Lol. I need to read up - this is an example of something I'd like to get:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...rw=&vid=018319

Looks to be 8.5"

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirc View Post
Looks to be 8.5"
Thoughts?
That looks about right. Yes, based on "18 X8 5-120.00 35 BKMTXX" it's 8.5" wide and I assume it's a 35mm ET offset. That's a conservative offset - a conservative offset ~may be~ what you want. However, if you want wheels that are more flush with your fenders, you will have to get spacers. If you don't want to use spacers (I don't like them) then get wheels with the right offset right off the bat. There's no question that our cars look better with less offset (more flush). Do they put more stress on your hub? Yes, but IMO I don't think it's much based on the small amount I like (just 5 to 10mm) and I believe it's worth it. http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/rim-offset
      03-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
zirc
Private
Rep

Quote:
That looks about right. Yes, based on "18 X8 5-120.00 35 BKMTXX" it's 8.5" wide and I assume it's a 35mm ET offset. That's a conservative offset - a conservative offset ~may be~ what you want. However, if you want wheels that are more flush with your fenders, you will have to get spacers. If you don't want to use spacers (I don't like them) then get wheels with the right offset right off the bat. There's no question that our cars look better with less offset (more flush). Do they put more stress on your hub? Yes, but IMO I don't think it's much based on the small amount I like (just 5 to 10mm) and I believe it's worth it. http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/rim-offset
Interesting, how do I find out what the right offset is for what I have? I may have to go into the store and have them explain this..pretty confusing!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp smb

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
I have a set of oem 193 msports for sale. They will bolt right on- easy peezy
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Oh and then for tires, I have a buddy that works at Discount Tire that will hook you up

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1420518225
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
zirc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3 View Post
I have a set of oem 193 msports for sale. They will bolt right on- easy peezy
Those are pretty sweet! I'm really set on getting something in black though, I love the matte black look, I feel like it would go good with my color (Mojave metallic) although those are tempting!! Will let you know what I end up doing for sure..and would love the hook up!! Which store is he at?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Matte black would definitely look nice with that color! You could go get them powder coated black or you can plasti dip them.

Lemme know soon though bc I'm leaving the state at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirc View Post
Those are pretty sweet! I'm really set on getting something in black though, I love the matte black look, I feel like it would go good with my color (Mojave metallic) although those are tempting!! Will let you know what I end up doing for sure..and would love the hook up!! Which store is he at?
Discount can get them powder coated for you

Appreciate 0