E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > How to get BMW USA's attention - I don't want to deal with their Customer Relations

02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Sushiland
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0i

Exclamation How to get BMW USA's attention - I don't want to deal with their Customer Relations

Hello BMW Gurus,
I have been having problems with my X3. I have posted the details in a post in the X3 forum.
My fundamental question, is that all BMW has is the customer relations department. They are not being helpful in my case. When I asked them to give me a written statement they are not up for it. They say everything is done over the phone. So I ask them to record the conversation and they say it is done at random (meaning you will never be able to find the recording of this conversation). I ask them permission to record the conversation over at me end and they do not give me the permission. Also if I send in a written statement/complaint the supervisor says it will come to the same person who is dealing with my case.
Has anyone else been able to get in touch with someone other than their representatives?
Thanks.
Cheers,
Sushil
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Try telling your story to http://www.regretsy.com/ and hope that it gains some traction. Good luck.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
If you need a written statement for something, perhaps you could just record the phone call yourself? Afaik there are apps available that can do that for you if you have an Android or iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiland View Post
Hello BMW Gurus,
I have been having problems with my X3. I have posted the details in a post in the X3 forum.
My fundamental question, is that all BMW has is the customer relations department. They are not being helpful in my case. When I asked them to give me a written statement they are not up for it. They say everything is done over the phone. So I ask them to record the conversation and they say it is done at random (meaning you will never be able to find the recording of this conversation). I ask them permission to record the conversation over at me end and they do not give me the permission. Also if I send in a written statement/complaint the supervisor says it will come to the same person who is dealing with my case.
Has anyone else been able to get in touch with someone other than their representatives?
Thanks.
Cheers,
Sushil
Why are you not working through your dealership? This would be the most efficient way to get a problem resolved, not through a phone call to a customer service desk. Raise it with your dealer or find a dealer that will help, but that would be my suggestion
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

If things get our of hand; there is a crazy website called jalopnik.com ; they usually catch everyones attention but as someone said; try the dealer first.
      02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

go to your dealer first.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 SG

go to the dealer and park it right in front of their customer sales entrance with a couple lemons hanging from the mirror .... that should get their attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbimmer
go to the dealer and park it right in front of their customer sales entrance with a couple lemons hanging from the mirror .... that should get their attention.
LMFAO I like that, if I ever get a crappy vehicle I will 100% do this for the lolz.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Simply awesome!
      02-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Sushiland
Rep

Hello All,
Just more information/update from my end. I did talk to the dealer. I don't think I can park the BMW with lemons in front of a dealership but I can do that in front of my house . One day the dealer was quoting $3300 for a part but the next day the part was quoted at $4500. When I had initially logged into this forum, I was very disappointed with the abysmmal response from the dealership. As much as the BMWs are great as a car their dealerships are at the extreme end of the spectrum.
However, BMW customer relations got back in touch with me. The person (Her name is Liz M, I am leaving out her last name on purpose) was a little disappointed at first with me but then she heard my story out and was sympathetic of the situation. It is the first time that someone from BMW was willing to help me out. She has promised to check with their Senior Marketing team again to reconsider their decision of not helping me with my vehicle. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Now it is upto BMW to decide if I can fix the vehicle and continue to use BMW all through my life or just sell the vehicle to somone who can buy it from Craigslist.
But the main point of my post is that BMW customer relations indeed read this forum. Liz confirmed that to me. My intention was not to use this forum as a scare tactic but to reach out to millions of fellow BMW enthusiasts. I am glad such a strong community exists and it can help out consumers like us. I informed the BMW representative that I will definitely post my experience online - be it good or bad. In this case, my phone call with Liz was fruitful. She will update me next week.
I will update this forum again on how things transpire next week with BMW. I really hope that I can get some help from BMW.
Take care.
Cheers

Last edited by Sushiland; 02-12-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Sushiland
Rep

Hello All,
Update to my experience. BMW Customer representative was able to get some goodwill help from BMW of America. However, the clause was that I am not allowed to talk about the help given by BMW on facebook or any other forum. I was okay with that too. The other clause was that the service *has* to be done at BMW of Fremont. BMW of Fremont now raised the cost of repairs by 3K more. Basically whatever help I was getting from BMW of America was then been taken away by the dealer. So I have declined to take up help from BMW of America.
I called back to thank the person for her service. Over the duration of the conversation she got frustrated with me and said the case is now closed and she does not want my feedback anymore as everything has been documented and there is nothing that can be done. She went to the extent of not letting me talk and disconnecting the line even as I was speaking. I do not want to keep calling her and discussing my case as I think it is lost cause. I have nothing personal against the representative which I conveyed across to her. I want BMW to take notice that there is one very very disappointed customer out there who put trust and faith in their brand and is now feeling betrayed. I was not looking for help from BMW of America but wanted to provide my feedback to which the representative felt that she has enough documented already.
Also one of the comments made during the conversation was that I should not rely on the indicators from the gauges but have to properly maintain my vehicle. I have always maintained my vehicle at BMW of Fremont and the last service was 2 weeks before the engine died on me. After my service I had also complained to BMW of Fremont that there was oil everywhere on the Engine.
All in all, I am very disappointed in the whole transaction. BMW of America, offered me help that was not helpful to me.
BMW of Fremont was never of any help.
Fellow BMW enthusiasts, my experience has thought me that I will never ever go back to BMW of Fremont. Will I get a BMW in my life...??? that depends. I have lost trust in them right now. I hope none of us have to go through what I have gone through over the past month. Right now my X3 is sitting in my driveway waiting for its lemons. I am attached to the car and do not want to let it go but I have no choice.
Has anyone ever had to deal with BMW and got more help? I know my friends got help from Honda when their car had problems out of warranty. I am just curious to know if anyone has got some help from BMW. If so, how did they approach the situation. I will post pics of my X3 soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Sushiland
Rep

Regarding the comment about recording using an app... I don't think you are allowed to do that. As soon as I had asked about recording or even quoting them the representatives give a disclaimer that they are just customer reps and not mechanics. But then we only hear from customer reps. We cannot get in touch with BMWs Senior marketing team who make the decision on what to do with your case. It is a catch 22. The customer rep give you the details from mechanics but we can't talk technical details with them as they will say that we will have to talk to mechanics who never call us.
Also dealers point us to BMW and BMW tells us to go take it up with the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

That sucks. Whats was wrong with your car and was it out of warranty?
      03-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

Quote:
Hahahaha this is one of the best posts I've seen great idea
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

What was the original problem on your X3?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Sushiland
Rep

Hello All,
It's been close to a year since I had issues with my X3. I wanted to update everyone on what I have found. As I stated earlier, I was informed by BMW of Fremont that I need a new engine and BMW of America stood by their diagnosis. I brought the vehicle back and it has been sitting on my drive way for a year now. This weekend I got the vehicle inspected by another BMW dealership. Guess what, they came back and said I don't need a new engine but since I have let the vehicle sit for a year there are things that are corroded and have to be replaced.
This is the list I was given
1) Alternator
2) Water Pump
3) Valve Cover gasket
4) Oil filter housing gaskets
5) Control arm bushings
in addition to oil change, coolant change, front brakes.
Nevertheless, now the charge is down to $5700 instead of $15000.
How do I proceed further? I am disappointed that one dealership told me to change the entire engine and now I don't have to. How can we believe what is being told to us then?
Thanks.
Regards,
Sushil
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

At this point, since both BMWNA and BMW of Fremont have failed to accurately diagnose the problem and have blown you off, I'd consider threatening legal action. This may be difficult if you do not have any evidence whatsoever of the original problem and BMW's response. Do you have any old emails that you can use?

Essentially use the evidence from the new dealership, contact the original one, and tell them either they pay for the repairs, or you'll sue them for intentionally lying to you about the condition of your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiland View Post
Hello All,
It's been close to a year since I had issues with my X3. I wanted to update everyone on what I have found. As I stated earlier, I was informed by BMW of Fremont that I need a new engine and BMW of America stood by their diagnosis. I brought the vehicle back and it has been sitting on my drive way for a year now. This weekend I got the vehicle inspected by another BMW dealership. Guess what, they came back and said I don't need a new engine but since I have let the vehicle sit for a year there are things that are corroded and have to be replaced.
This is the list I was given
1) Alternator
2) Water Pump
3) Valve Cover gasket
4) Oil filter housing gaskets
5) Control arm bushings
in addition to oil change, coolant change, front brakes.
Nevertheless, now the charge is down to $5700 instead of $15000.
How do I proceed further? I am disappointed that one dealership told me to change the entire engine and now I don't have to. How can we believe what is being told to us then?
Thanks.
Regards,
Sushil
Pay the repairs and trade the vehicle for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
At this point, since both BMWNA and BMW of Fremont have failed to accurately diagnose the problem and have blown you off, I'd consider threatening legal action. This may be difficult if you do not have any evidence whatsoever of the original problem and BMW's response. Do you have any old emails that you can use?

Essentially use the evidence from the new dealership, contact the original one, and tell them either they pay for the repairs, or you'll sue them for intentionally lying to you about the condition of your car.
Dealership against dealership is not a proper way; plus it would not stand in court.
If the guy wants to take legal action, the vehicle must be "diagnosed" by a court expert.
The expert is going to put down the whole case in a written form and then he should talk through a lawyer. As he already told you, he was not trated seriously by BMW America; the word of the dealer was golden; and the dealer was just trying to steal him ("BMW America gives more? I take more").

Otherwise, repair by second dealer, be quiet and change the car for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

You should have gotten a second opinion (or third) by a dealer a long time ago. Dealers are like doctors, they can all have a different diagnosis (believe it or not, not all techs are good at their job). After that, if you are still unsatisfied, call BMWNA and log an official complaint. Like you found out, they may not do much, but if you're lucky, they can send a regional tech to the dealer to also diagnose the problem and hopefully provide a resolution.

In cases like this, you have to get the dealer on your side so they can go to bat for you when they discuss the issue with BMWNA. Again this may take several visits to different dealers. Unfortunately b/c of BMWs generous warranty, they hear and see it all. I've seen driver neglect get rewarded and victims get left holding the bag. Dealers get reimbursed from BMWNA for all warranty work, and they don't want to eat the costs of something that may not be approved by BMWNA. Knowing your SA and tech (and hopefully a BMW Master tech) is also a good idea.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Fight for it. I dealt with this before. I got a 328i, new. Drove it for 4 months but during that 4 months, it kept breaking down every 2 weeks. 8 times of service during 4 months. I was annoyed. My service advisor told me it's like I was living in BMW already 'cause I kept going back to the service. The problem was a lot. They had to change the alternator and some other stuff. In the end, they gave up and considered it as a lemon car. Changed it to 135i. Got a huge discount from them for giving me a lemon car. Now, I've been happy ever since. 31xxx in less than a year on my 135i and still hasn't given me a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
halojereme
Rep
Drives: bmw

Afaik there are apps available that can do that for you if you have an Android or iPhone.