E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2013 Map updates - USB Stick

12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #155
WhiteShadows
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
im in the same boat at the moment. I copied everything over from my mac, plugged it into the glovebox USB and nothing happened at all.

Going to transfer the files to a pc, reformat the drive on the pc and copy them over again. See how that works out.
I don't think you can use a Mac. I have a Mac but did the transfer on Windows through Parallels. I'm thinking that your problem is that MacOS puts some hidden files on the flash drive, in order to be able to read the drive. Maybe that's the part that iDrive isn't recognising. I know when you transfer music onto a flash drive using MacOS and then try to play it using iDrive, the first couple entires are random folders that are hidden on MacOS... So my advice would be to use Windows through Parallels/VMware, or an actual PC. Format the drive first using Windows, then copy the folder + file using Windows Explorer, NOT Finder. After that's done, eject the drive without letting MacOS find the device (because as soon as it does, it adds all those extras). Also, like everyone else is saying, give it a minute to load in your car. I can't imagine it not working because I think I've counted 3 (myself included) 09/08 build E90s (updating from 2009-1 maps) who've had a smooth update.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #156
Thrash
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwhiterooms6 View Post
I don't think you can use a Mac. I have a Mac but did the transfer on Windows through Parallels. I'm thinking that your problem is that MacOS puts some hidden files on the flash drive, in order to be able to read the drive. Maybe that's the part that iDrive isn't recognising. I know when you transfer music onto a flash drive using MacOS and then try to play it using iDrive, the first couple entires are random folders that are hidden on MacOS... So my advice would be to use Windows through Parallels/VMware, or an actual PC. Format the drive first using Windows, then copy the folder + file using Windows Explorer, NOT Finder. After that's done, eject the drive without letting MacOS find the device (because as soon as it does, it adds all those extras). Also, like everyone else is saying, give it a minute to load in your car. I can't imagine it not working because I think I've counted 3 (myself included) 09/08 build E90s (updating from 2009-1 maps) who've had a smooth update.
Absolutely incorrect, see my previous post on this there are no "hidden files" that would disable the install
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #157
WhiteShadows
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxdog View Post
Absolutely incorrect, see my previous post on this there are no "hidden files" that would disable the install
Sorry, I must have overlooked that post. I decided not to risk it with MacOS, but I'm glad it worked for you. Those MacOS files are really annoying when they pop up annoying on the iDrive though. Maybe your suggestion to try another flash drive might solve the issue. I've seen a lot of posts about not having issues with a SanDisk drive, so that's what I ended up using.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #158
boman993
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 993 C4S, E91 328ix, E36 323ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanepa View Post
Hey, did you copy the two files:
config.nfm
pkgdb (folder)

Directly into the root of the USB?

They have to be copied that way, otherwise it wont ready it. Those two files cannot be inside a folder, just in the root...
Scanepa! Thanks!!! All of my attempts had those two items directly in the root
folder. The only thing that makes sense to me right now is to try a different
USB key.

Hey wdeerfield, did you get yours going?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!! I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #159
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman993 View Post
Scanepa! Thanks!!! All of my attempts had those two items directly in the root
folder. The only thing that makes sense to me right now is to try a different
USB key.

Hey wdeerfield, did you get yours going?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!! I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!
i did not, i even bought a new 32gb usb drive and it flashes a bunch of times and then nothing.. i think im going to see if the dealer can update my CIC software when i bring it in for an inspection this month. see if they will just do that and ill give them the usb drive and my fsc code to install it.
      12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #160
harry$
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

With the cic system can we get the red light cameras or speed traps or can only the older ccc system do this?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #161
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
I'm now thinking it has
everything to do with the fact that I torrented onto a Mac, and transfered
the files from the Mac onto the FAT32 key..
Don't be so sure.

I torrented on a Mac with uTorrent and transferred the files directly from the Mac onto a FAT32 flash drive and it worked fine with no muss, no fuss, no fiddling. I did not reformat the flash drive, I merely bought it from Microcenter (store brand) and plugged it in. I verified that it was FAT32 formatted already but otherwise didn't do anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwhiterooms6 View Post
I don't think you can use a Mac.
I used a Mac with no trouble and no special steps or cautions. Torrented the file. Copied to the flash drive. Updated the car. Done.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #162
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Don't be so sure.

I torrented on a Mac with uTorrent and transferred the files directly from the Mac onto a FAT32 flash drive and it worked fine with no muss, no fuss, no fiddling. I did not reformat the flash drive, I merely bought it from Microcenter (store brand) and plugged it in. I verified that it was FAT32 formatted already but otherwise didn't do anything special.

I used a Mac with no trouble and no special steps or cautions. Torrented the file. Copied to the flash drive. Updated the car. Done.
i wish it was that easy for me. The car doesnt even recognize the flashdrive in the glovebox. if i plug it into the center console, it sees all the files but i cant update using that usb port. Im going to get a flashdrive from sandisk and hope this fixes my issue.

Is it possible the files i have are corrupt? Can anyone open the nfm file and let me know what it says (pm is fine)
      12-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #163
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i wish it was that easy for me. The car doesnt even recognize the flashdrive in the glovebox. if i plug it into the center console, it sees all the files but i cant update using that usb port. Im going to get a flashdrive from sandisk and hope this fixes my issue.
PM'd the config.nfm file to you.

What you describe is exactly what happened when I tried to update to the 2012 maps from the original 2009 maps. USB stick in glovebox was ignored, could see the files if in the slot in the center, but no ability to do the update. I didn't mess around further though and just burned the DVD's - also Sergej said my 9/1/09 build car had the earlier CIC and couldn't be updated by USB.

Since then I'd had the car to the dealer for something else in late September and as part of that work they updated the car's software.

So I don't know if my success was due to the software update at the dealer or due to the 2012 maps. If someone reminds me where to look I'll pull any software version info I can pull up easily in case it helps.

Flash drive I used was a 32GB USB3.0 Microcenter brand stick I bought for $20 earlier this week. Mac is a Macbook Air with Mountain Lion.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #164
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
PM'd the config.nfm file to you.

What you describe is exactly what happened when I tried to update to the 2012 maps from the original 2009 maps. USB stick in glovebox was ignored, could see the files if in the slot in the center, but no ability to do the update. I didn't mess around further though and just burned the DVD's - also Sergej said my 9/1/09 build car had the earlier CIC and couldn't be updated by USB.

Since then I'd had the car to the dealer for something else in late September and as part of that work they updated the car's software.

So I don't know if my success was due to the software update at the dealer or due to the 2012 maps. If someone reminds me where to look I'll pull any software version info I can pull up easily in case it helps.

Flash drive I used was a 32GB USB3.0 Microcenter brand stick I bought for $20 earlier this week. Mac is a Macbook Air with Mountain Lion.
Sounds like you had your car's software updated by the dealer and that is probably why most 2009 cars work with the USB drive. I have a 4/29/2009 build car and was able to update using the USB. I had my car's software updated last year and I updated from my original 2009 map.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #165
babyblue
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Thanks Babyblue.

Well, still no go.. Here is my experience step by step:

1. I reformatted the key to FAT32 and copied over the files from the download. (config.nfm + pkgdb folder)
2. Plugged key into glovebox usb slot. The LED on the usb key flashes for about 5 seconds and then stops ~ I guess it's getting power or trying to read.
3. Turned car to accessory mode. (start, start)
4. Idrive fired up and I got the nav disclaimer, 10 secs later it loaded up.

..And that's it, no FSC code prompt....So the only thing I can think of is:

1. USB drive I bought is crap.
2. Currently the car has the original maps from 2009 and won't take an update jump to 2013?

...Kinda bummed ..haha..If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

Check the link and enter your VIN, it will let you know what firmware you have on your system. My X5 is 2010 which came with 2009 Maps on it. I had no issues in updating it to the latest version.

I used the link to validate I had latest firmware.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #166
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. software update free under maintenance?
      12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #167
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi Guys, I updated the maps with an FSC code form Sergej and and USB drive (data downloaded from a torrent provided by Sergej also), everything went well but now, every time i start the car (iDrive in Navi screen) i get this message:

"Error!
Address not in navigation data"

They i press ok and everything works just fine... But it is very annoying to the this message there every time.

Has anybody experience this? I don't know what must be going on...

Thx
Do you have any addresses saved in your contacts? Maybe one of them doesn't recognize an address in the new map.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #168
babyblue
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Hi Guys, I updated the maps with an FSC code form Sergej and and USB drive (data downloaded from a torrent provided by Sergej also), everything went well but now, every time i start the car (iDrive in Navi screen) i get this message:

"Error!
Address not in navigation data"

They i press ok and everything works just fine... But it is very annoying to the this message there every time.

Has anybody experience this? I don't know what must be going on...

Thx
Not sure, check last address... Do you have any address saved in the system when you start the car??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #169
boman993
Private
Canada
Rep

GPB ~ great info man!!! Cheers!

It quite possible that my June 2009 build '09 could have the old CIC. It's a
Canadian spec car if that makes a difference.... As a matter of fact, I stumbled
on a vague nav update procedure in the manual and it refers to using DVDs.

Amazon is delivering me a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer tomorrow morning. So I'm
going to try that before giving up. The plan is to not format it, put the files
from a PC onto the key and give it a try. Back up plan is to either download
the DVD sets in the other thread (lol), or bite the bullet and do a CIC update
at the dealer. (I wonder how much something like that would cost).

This thread is super helpful! Thanks E90Post!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #170
boman993
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

Check the link and enter your VIN, it will let you know what firmware you have on your system. My X5 is 2010 which came with 2009 Maps on it. I had no issues in updating it to the latest version.

I used the link to validate I had latest firmware.
Thanks Babyblue! Apparently I have the lastest software... Here is what it said:

Quote:
Software update with BMW ConnectedDrive.
You are running the latest software. There is no software update available.

To perform the software update via USB stick, you will require the USB audio interface (included in optional equipment codes 6FL, 6NK or 6NL) as well as the Control Display and iDrive. This offer is only available for selected vehicles manufactured after March 2010. Your vehicle can be updated provided that you have the ‘Software update’ option on your ‘Settings’ menu in the Control Display
I do not have "Software Update" option in the Settings in Idrive....Going to start downloading the 2013 DVDs I guess..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #171
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I stumbled
on a vague nav update procedure in the manual and it refers to using DVDs. [...] Back up plan is to either download
the DVD sets in the other thread (lol), or bite the bullet and do a CIC update
at the dealer. (I wonder how much something like that would cost).
Points of clarification to help you avoid wasting time/effort.

CIC map updates *prior* to the 2013 maps were via DVD. Someone discovered you could put the DVD contents on a flash drive and update via the USB port on more recent CIC systems. It still behaved like doing the DVD update, as you had three different images you copied to the flash drive (either three 8GB drives or using one or two drives and overwriting). I downloaded the three DVD images, tried the USB method, it didn't work, and I fell back to just burning the DVD images.

As far as I know the 2013 map update for CIC systems is NOT available via DVD. The 2013 update DVD thread refers to the older CCC iDrive/nav systems used before the 2009 model year. You can't use those with a CIC system.

What I wonder is: when Tischer says early CIC cars must be updated at the dealer, does this mean the dealer does the update via some other method, or does the dealer update the car software and then do map update via USB?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #172
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
What I wonder is: when Tischer says early CIC cars must be updated at the dealer, does this mean the dealer does the update via some other method, or does the dealer update the car software and then do map update via USB?
I'm guessing they update it, and then do the map install via USB. My 01/09 build 2009 E93 had no trouble updating via USB, *but* now that I think about it, I did my very first map update (from 2009 to 2010 maps) at the dealer (at a cost of $240). At the time I had the infamous 'shopping cart bug' problem with the navigation so they updated the car's firmware before doing the map update. So my firmware isn't the original--it has the version that was out around March 2010.

Boman993, in your iDrive, if you have the main map screen displayed and you press down on the iDrive controller, do the two grey info boxes (time/radio channel, map scale, etc) disappear/reappear? This was one of the changes in the newer firmware and a good way to distinguish cars with newer firmware vs original (pre-2010) firmware.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #173
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 S40i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Do you have any addresses saved in your contacts? Maybe one of them doesn't recognize an address in the new map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
Not sure, check last address... Do you have any address saved in the system when you start the car??

Thank you guys, that's exactly what it was, one of the address in my history was creating this problem. I deleted all the history/recent destinations and voila, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #174
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
I'm guessing they update it, and then do the map install via USB. My 01/09 build 2009 E93 had no trouble updating via USB, *but* now that I think about it, I did my very first map update (from 2009 to 2010 maps) at the dealer (at a cost of $240). At the time I had the infamous 'shopping cart bug' problem with the navigation so they updated the car's firmware before doing the map update. So my firmware isn't the original--it has the version that was out around March 2010.

Boman993, in your iDrive, if you have the main map screen displayed and you press down on the iDrive controller, do the two grey info boxes (time/radio channel, map scale, etc) disappear/reappear? This was one of the changes in the newer firmware and a good way to distinguish cars with newer firmware vs original (pre-2010) firmware.
that stays put for me, so i apparently need the march 2010 firmware upgrade.
      12-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #175
boman993
Private
Canada
Rep

I still haven't checked the firmware, but suspect it's pre2010. Do you guys
know how much I should expect to pay the stealership for an update?
(ballpark, i understand different geographical locations will vary the price)...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #176
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
that stays put for me, so i apparently need the march 2010 firmware upgrade.
Quote:
I still haven't checked the firmware, but suspect it's pre2010. Do you guys
know how much I should expect to pay the stealership for an update?
(ballpark, i understand different geographical locations will vary the price)...
Well how I understand it is this: BMW NA will not do firmware updates for free under warranty just because you want the latest software. HOWEVER, they will do a firmware update ONLY if there is a specific issue that is corrected by said firmware update. Not being able to update your CIC maps because your USB port doesn't work would certainly qualify. So if your vehicle is still under the factory warranty, a firmware update to the latest software *should* be covered under warranty. Remember, this only updates the firmware and not the maps (which are not covered under warranty under any situation).

If the vehicle is out of warranty, I'm not sure what the cost would be, but most of the vehicles in question should still be under warranty.
Appreciate 0