E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DCT slipping with lots of Torque? Nope!

View Poll Results: Does your DCT slip and/or Have Problems with 400tq+ ?
I have a DCT with 400tq+ and my clutch slips (I HAVE abused my transmission) 17 18.09%
I have a DCT with 400tq+ and my clutch slips (I have NOT abused my transmission) 18 19.15%
I have a DCT with 400tq+ and NO problems with my transmission (I HAVE abused my transmission) 29 30.85%
I have a DCT with 400tq+ and NO problems with my transmission (I have NOT abused my transmission) 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcyrusm View Post
BuraQ, I see you broke into the 11's!!!!! Congrats dude!!!!!!
Yes sir......aiming for mid and consistent 11s, stay tuned

33k miles, 200+ launches, and the DCT is still working strong
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #46
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

What a great thread! Having owned my IS a little over two months now, I am noticing that it is a lot happier in either full auto with sport on, or manual mode with or without sport mode. When you refer to dtc off and completely off, what do you mean? One press of a button it is off, I am not aware of any secondary deactivation.. I may be wrong.

Thanks!
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
mdyates
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 335is DCT JB4

Good info!! How are you two launching your DCT? I see the two step technique out there, but would like to know what technique you're using to get great 60 ft's?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #48
busta7777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 f80 m3

Im at 17k
411 with 457 tq pro tuned since 10k
Tuned since 2k on e40
Clutch doesnt spin with pro tune but
When i stacked jb4 +cobb it did

Im about to be installing rb turbos by begging of march let u guys know how it goes

I also only lauchned about 15 times since i had the car only WOT at around 2nd gear through 5th
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
What a great thread! Having owned my IS a little over two months now, I am noticing that it is a lot happier in either full auto with sport on, or manual mode with or without sport mode. When you refer to dtc off and completely off, what do you mean? One press of a button it is off, I am not aware of any secondary deactivation.. I may be wrong.

Thanks!
One press is partially off, and the second option is press and hold for 5 seconds for completely off.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyates View Post
Good info!! How are you two launching your DCT? I see the two step technique out there, but would like to know what technique you're using to get great 60 ft's?
That is an intro for beginers, not the official launching method I use at the track that is obvious on my reaction times and 60's

I have been promissing a another vid of the official method I use at teh track, just been lazy. I will aventually make it public to make it more competitive among the 335is tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta7777 View Post
Im at 17k
411 with 457 tq pro tuned since 10k
Tuned since 2k on e40
Clutch doesnt spin with pro tune but
When i stacked jb4 +cobb it did

Im about to be installing rb turbos by begging of march let u guys know how it goes

I also only lauchned about 15 times since i had the car only WOT at around 2nd gear through 5th
IMO, it seems the slippage is more prone to happen on piggybacks. I think the reason for this is because the DCT is reading values directly from the DME, and not the piggyback, as clutch pressure on the DCT is passive not active

As you noticed,I have more clutch pressure on clutch 1 which is the clutch used for launching. Any newly added power you have to give the DCT time to adapt as far as exclusively flash tunes are concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #51
mdyates
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 335is DCT JB4

Thanks BuraQ! I am going to Bradenton Sunday, Any info would help! Has anyone (JB4) tried limiting boost to say 7-8 psi in 1st and using LC?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
M3coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
Quote:

Thanks!
One press is partially off, and the second option is press and hold for 5 seconds for completely off.
I believe this to be incorrect. My understanding is DTC is partially on by default. One quick press puts it full on and one long several second press turns completely off? Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #53
romanonj
Major
Rep

Sorry to bring this back, but wanted to pose a question here..

There is one annoyance with DCT (at least in my mind), where while accelerating in manual mode, flooring gas pedal automatically downshifts. This is particulary annoying when I already downshifted to engine "sweet" spot (around 3500 - 4000 rpm), and then tranny shifts it into lower gear and puts it in the dead rpm spot 5500 rpms+.. Is there a way to turn this feature off?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #54
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Sorry to bring this back, but wanted to pose a question here..

There is one annoyance with DCT (at least in my mind), where while accelerating in manual mode, flooring gas pedal automatically downshifts. This is particulary annoying when I already downshifted to engine "sweet" spot (around 3500 - 4000 rpm), and then tranny shifts it into lower gear and puts it in the dead rpm spot 5500 rpms+.. Is there a way to turn this feature off?
Don't hit the kick down pedal and use Manual Mode. (I'm assuming the DCT has one just like Auto).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #55
romanonj
Major
Rep

Mine slips in auto mode only (d or s), no slippage in manual mode... Why is that?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #56
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine slips in auto mode only (d or s), no slippage in manual mode... Why is that?
Because that is the more aggressive mode in which the shifting is not dictated by the TCU or DME unless you do something it doesn't like

D Mode - For regular driving. nothing else. Any sudden lead foot action will cause it to slip

S Mode - without Sport button on, it will slip at instant lead foot action. Quicker throttle response, and loves to rev really high before shifting. Technically it shouldn't be used with out "Sport Traction" being enable for too lazy to use or don't know how to use M - Mode

M Mode - will slip at higher revs without "Sport Traction (ST)" being enabled. With ST off its more tolerant with short shifting regardless of lead foot action, just be moderate about it.

M Mode w/ Sport - does not like power short shifting 4k-5k RPMS, throttle plate will close on you . I use this mode for DD, as I never have any reason to shift pass 4k RPMs but love the lead foot action to over take cars

M Mode w/ ST enabled - this simply put is the best all out mode, short shifting, power short shifting, high rev shifting, its just more enthusiast friendly, this is the DCT's home. Whenever I intend to go into higher RPM, its just one button press for me since I am always driving with the Sport button already enabled.

Last edited by BQTuning; 12-19-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
romanonj
Major
Rep

Buraq,

Thanks, valuable input as always.. By ST mode you mean traction control off, stability on... Correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #58
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Buraq,

Thanks, valuable input as always.. By ST mode you mean traction control off, stability on... Correct?
Yes correct, but with sport button ON or you have can have both TC off and stability off also with sport button ON. In any case sport button must be On
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #59
ajlexis
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS

I also have an 2011 335is, when i put the shifter to M and the sport button on, I hit the DTC/DSC button on the center of the dash and all I get is a warning, Sport traction does not come up and only sport remains displayed

Why does yours come up or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

I have had slip occur on my DCT but it is when i go WOT in an instant, the car applies power, hesitates then the power comes back. Its kind of annoying and the only way to fix this is with a back end flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #60
romanonj
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Yes correct, but with sport button ON or you have can have both TC off and stability off also with sport button ON. In any case sport button must be On
I dont get that sport traction.. Only warning sign in the dash..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #61
ajlexis
Rep

if i remember correctly, mid model year of the 2011's electronic systems changed. I know atleast for the ipod connectivity, i needed the BMW cable where other 2011s only needed the regular ipod cable. my car was an early 2010 for 2011 production car. could this be the reason why we are seeing differences.

also my sport symbol shows up where the traction symbol is on buraq's
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #62
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlexis View Post
I also have an 2011 335is, when i put the shifter to M and the sport button on, I hit the DTC/DSC button on the center of the dash and all I get is a warning, Sport traction does not come up and only sport remains displayed

Why does yours come up or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

I have had slip occur on my DCT but it is when i go WOT in an instant, the car applies power, hesitates then the power comes back. Its kind of annoying and the only way to fix this is with a back end flash.
Quote:
I dont get that sport traction.. Only warning sign in the dash..
That's odd, are you guys using piggyback tunes ?

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #63
ajlexis
Rep

your traction control button is different then mine also, mine only says DTC on the button.

When pressed it comes up on the dash and a message appears on the NAV screen saying Dynamic traction Control ON, DSC limited.

on my dash instead of the yellow Traction Control symbol I get the DTC label on my dash in a similar spot and yellow.

I am pretty sure what i see is the same as what you are seeing. I think it really comes down to when the cars were produced. Like i said earlier some things changed mid model 2011 like the ipod connectivity.

Where i live its a nice day out but alot of water on the road, i had it on sport plus Manuel plus the DTC button pressed and it would let me spin the rear tires and not limit the power. the DCT also didn't feel like it slipped at all
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #64
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlexis View Post
your traction control button is different then mine also, mine only says DTC on the button.

When pressed it comes up on the dash and a message appears on the NAV screen saying Dynamic traction Control ON, DSC limited.

on my dash instead of the yellow Traction Control symbol I get the DTC label on my dash in a similar spot and yellow.

I am pretty sure what i see is the same as what you are seeing. I think it....
Yes, dynamic traction also appears on the my Nav screen, it didn't show in the vid cause the park sensor display was up instead

Will follow up with a 2013 and 2012 DCT 335is
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I've got an '11 as well...no "traction" word for me either. Starting to think Buraq is really special.

Never felt any extended slippage but I do drive like a granny half the time.
      12-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #66
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

I have a '13 and have the traction and sport indicators as does BuraQ.

However, I would characterize the affects of D,S, M and the sport button a bit differently based on my experience.

D + Sport Button Off - Default mode when you start. Transmission has lower shift targets as it will attempt to keep revs in the lower range. Shift duration is longer. This is to soften the shift and make the transition between gears as "comfortable" as possible. Shift points will adjust up for short periods when you are more aggressive with the throttle. Throttle mapping is less aggressive. It actually maps to the "Torque Request % (High) table when the Sport Button is off.

S + Sport Button Off - Moving the shifter to the left and putting it in Sport mode but leaving the Sport Button off will adjust the shift points for the transmission. The transmission will rev higher before shifting and will downshift sooner to keep revs higher than in D mode. Shifts duration's are still longer. Since you have more torque available above 2000 RPMs and you are now shifting above this threshold more in this mode, the slower clutch engagement will lead to more likely clutch slippage. Especially if you really get on it between shifts.

D + Sport Button On - Turning on the Sport Button will firm up the shift by reducing shift duration and increasing clutch engagement pressure. It will also cause the DME to use a more aggressive throttle mapping, "Torque Request % (Low)" (I know this seems backwards.) The shift points will still remain low, but the car will feel a bit more aggressive with tighter shifts and more responsive throttle.

S + Sport Button On - S mode will increase shift points so the engine will rev higher and remain in the torque sweet spot. Sport Button On will result in faster and firmer shifts due to reduced shift durations and increased clutch pressure. Throttle mapping uses the more aggressive DME torque map. There does seem to be an additive affect when both these modes are selected where it is more aggressive than just the affect of the individual S and Sport Button modes alone. Maybe some torque nannies are removed in this mode.

M + Sport Button Off - Acts just like S + Sport Button Off, but you get to shift. Slower clutch engagement and lower throttle response mapping.

M + Sport Button On - Acts just like S + Sport Button On, but you get to shift. Faster and firmer clutch engagement and higher throttle response mapping.

Traction Control then seems to sit on top of this. When in the default Full On mode, things occur as above, but get too aggressive and you will get throttle closures and reduced timing to keep traction in line.

Traction Control in the single press mode, allows you to be more aggressive before timing adjustments kick in, then eventually throttle closure adjustments will keep things in line. This mode also seems to remove some torque nannies so the car will be a bit more responsive at the limits.

Traction Control in the long press, fully off mode, removes all intervention and traction nannies.

I have adjusted my High and Low torque request % tables so that D + Sport Button On has a more aggressive throttle, firm shifts, but keeps revs lower. This is my daily driver with Traction Control in single press mode. Relatively good gas mileage but still responsive to throttle input and firm quick shifts. I can then quickly kick into S or M mode by pushing the shifter to the left for higher shift points for more aggressive driving.

Just my $.02.
Appreciate 1