E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > GIAC Stage 1 Review

10-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
GIAC Stage 1 Review

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick review of GIAC Stage 1.

I purchased my car in January of 2010 and instantly fell in love with the turbocharged engine. My previous cars have been a Volvo S60 T5 (which was turbocharged) and an e46 M3. I loved my M, but I definetly missed the turbo punch in the pants. When I started to drive my 335i (stock) regularly, I always felt like there could be more power extracted from the engine. I looked into different tuning options such as the JB, Procede, EvoTech, and GIAC. Thank goodness Harold from HP Autowerks, here in town, got me to try the GIAC stage 1 around March of this year. I had my doubts about tuning my car for warranty issues, but I decided that it would have to be done at some point, and why not now?

After installing my tune, I could instantly tell the difference. I did not have my LSD yet and I was loosing traction pretty readily in first gear (I had an intake and muffler delete at the time). What surprised me the most about the tune itself was that it didn't feel like a tune. The car was very linear in power delivery. The main difference that I could tell was up top. In sixth gear, the car was sort of dead on the freeway (stock), but with the GIAC tune, I would feel more pulling power.

Compared to other tunes, I felt as though the GIAC had more sophistication. I was in a buddy's JB car and there was a lot of raw power, but not so much refinment. I also rode in my friend's fully modified 420whp+ 335i with procede and also felt that the car was underachieving. I know this is all "seat" opinion, but I will just throw it out there anyways. Now, with the Stage 2, there is no question as to the tune that should be used for cars running full bolt on modifications.

The stage 1 tune is a great starting point for any N54 owner. Now, with the handheld switcher, you can eliminate codes but still have the benefits of a custom tune. I know there are probably many GIAC distributors in CA, but if you are looking for friendly service and honest advice, I would hit up HP Autowerks and ask for Harold. They have done so much to my car and I can't thank them enough!

In summary, the GIAC flash is a perfect starting point for anyone who wants to get a little more out of their N54. The price is $800 for a stage 1, which is more expensive than the JB and Procede, but you get what you pay for: R&D, ecu flash smoothness, and a safe way to avoid warranty issues. If you are thinking of a tune, go GIAC!!!

Thanks for reading, just wanted to throw up a quick review to express my pleasure in dealing with GIAC!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Congrats on the newfound power. Enjoy!