E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Warranty on used 335i?

12-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Zero
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Warranty on used 335i?

Hi, on Sunday I'm going to purchase a used 335i. BMW CPO prices are insane, so I am looking at standard used deals. The two cars I have narrowed it down to; one is at a Mercedes dealership and the other at an Acura dealership. Both cars did not have the factory warranty extended so both have expired (both are 07's) ..I refuse to own a turbo car without a warranty so what would be my best option for purchasing a warranty? From my local BMW dealership? A third party? The purchasing dealership? I would think buying a warranty from the local BMW dealership would be the smartest thing since they know the car the best, but this is my first European car purchase so quite frankly I'm not sure; all I know is I want a warranty

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Hi, on Sunday I'm going to purchase a used 335i. BMW CPO prices are insane, so I am looking at standard used deals. The two cars I have narrowed it down to; one is at a Mercedes dealership and the other at an Acura dealership. Both cars did not have the factory warranty extended so both have expired (both are 07's) ..I refuse to own a turbo car without a warranty so what would be my best option for purchasing a warranty? From my local BMW dealership? A third party? The purchasing dealership? I would think buying a warranty from the local BMW dealership would be the smartest thing since they know the car the best, but this is my first European car purchase so quite frankly I'm not sure; all I know is I want a warranty

Thanks for the help
I was in the same boat; I bought my '07 335i and got an extended vehicle service contract through Toyota (it was a Toyota dealership). Unfortunately, it's not comparable to what BMW offers. You can go through BMW, but all you would qualify for is the Powertrain warranty. All the other ones they have must be purchased while the vehicle is still under the original manufacturer's warranty.

My best advice is to get the brochure for their vehicle service contracts (technically they're not considered extended warranties) from each dealership. Then you'll have a breakdown of what's covered and not covered. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have service contract through another manufacturer (e.g. MB, Acura). Just make sure you compare them to what BMW covers to make sure there are no 'gaps' in the coverage that might come back and haunt you. Also make sure that they pay the repair shop directly, not you pay for it and then wait on the company to reimburse you.

Here's the link to vehicle service contracts offered by BMW: http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_3927f5d4...2-dce774027bde

Make sure that the one you purchase covers everything that BMW Gold offers, and you should be fine. Also, it may be good idea to see what reputable shops near you that work on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Zero
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks a lot, yeah power train is what I am most concerned about, however looking at that BMW brochure I see the transmission is not covered and the fuel pump is also not covered (which I really don't get because I thought the N54 had recall on the fuel pump due to a large number of failures?)

Would looking into other service contracts from maybe MB or Audi be a good idea?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 535i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Pretty sure the Powertrain Plus covers both the transmission and fuel pump...not to mention the 07 335i has a BMW extension to 10 years or 120,000 miles on the pump.
Appreciate 0