E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Money well spent?

04-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
C10
Captain slow
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E91 323iA LCI

Garage List
Money well spent?

http://news.sina.com.hk/news/3/1/1/2080116/1.html
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hmm, looks like the car is totaled. Interestingly, I also saw a fully marked police car also totaled and being towed this morning. Why do I have the feeling that they purchased those F11 tourings from the FRT? Just a wild guess of course.

I've also seen umarked police cars suddenly turn on their sirens and use that as a license to ignore traffic rules. They weren't catching any speedsters or racing to investigate some crime scene, they simply want to get home faster so abused their powers. I guess they think normal traffic regulations don't apply to them.

Personally, I think this police obsession with catching speeding makes them ignore the more serious issue of driving behaviour. Speeding alone may not be that dangerous if it is done in a safe time and location away from traffic and pedestrians. The real accident-causing behaviour like tailgating or changing lanes without signalling are far more prevalent, yet I have never seen the police crack down on it. Time and again, I have a taxi riding my ass in tailgating action, yet never ever have I seen the police care. Now that the police have gotten a taste of this tailgating, costing it's own expensive car, maybe they might pay attention to it. Which is sad in a way, only when their OWN car which is paid by TAXPAYERS is totaled, would they actually care. Maybe instead of catching people for going 1 km over the limit to meet their quota, they might now pay real attention to catching the really dangerous drivers out there?

Last edited by JohnMan; 04-20-2011 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
wakuwaku
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Hmm, looks like the car is totaled. Interestingly, I also saw a fully marked police car also totaled and being towed this morning. Why do I have the feeling that they purchased those F11 tourings from the FRT? Just a wild guess of course.

I've also seen umarked police cars suddenly turn on their sirens and use that as a license to ignore traffic rules. They weren't catching any speedsters or racing to investigate some crime scene, they simply want to get home faster so abused their powers. I guess they think normal traffic regulations don't apply to them.

Personally, I think this police obsession with catching speeding makes them ignore the more serious issue of driving behaviour. Speeding alone may not be that dangerous if it is done in a safe time and location away from traffic and pedestrians. The real accident-causing behaviour like tailgating or changing lanes without signalling are far more prevalent, yet I have never seen the police crack down on it. Time and again, I have a taxi riding my ass in tailgating action, yet never ever have I seen the police care. Now that the police have gotten a taste of this tailgating, costing it's own expensive car, maybe they might pay attention to it. Which is sad in a way, only when their OWN car which is paid by TAXPAYERS is totaled, would they actually care. Maybe instead of catching people for going 1 km over the limit to meet their quota, they might now pay real attention to catching the really dangerous drivers out there?
Appreciate 0