E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMW PPK1 with aftermarket down pipes

07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
cdauito
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

BMW PPK1 with aftermarket down pipes

I have a 2011 e90 335i sedan with the PPK1 and was wondering with the addition of an aftermarket down pipe would i see a noticeable difference in tq/hp. I enjoy the way my car performs, I'm just looking for a little more power and also deeper exhaust tone. My car is a lease and don't want waste money on the PE exhaust. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Hi and welcome

You would def. have "some" more power! And your exhaust note will be a bit noisier...

I think it is a good way to tune up a bit but don't forget to keep the stock dps for when you give the car back

Keep us posted! Very interessting to know how it feels with the PPK
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
youngb4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

I am not tuned so I cannot speak from personal experience, but from research I've done in the past, I am under the impression you will only see gains with a catless downpipe if you were running a tune that has a map specifically programmed take advantage of the reduced restriction and increase boost beyond that of stock or the PPK1.

IIRC, the PPK1 will not detect that you have lower restriction due to the catless downpipe, and thus, will not increase boost netting you no performance gains. Once again, this is based on research I have done on the topic; if someone has first hand experience with this please chime in .

I think you would still gain a deeper exhaust tone with the catless downpipe if you were to install it, however I have been told by numerous people not to run one without an aftermarket tune that is using a map specifically created for using a catless downpipe.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4 View Post
I am not tuned so I cannot speak from personal experience, but from research I've done in the past, I am under the impression you will only see gains with a catless downpipe if you were running a tune that has a map specifically programmed take advantage of the reduced restriction and increase boost beyond that of stock or the PPK1.

IIRC, the PPK1 will not detect that you have lower restriction due to the catless downpipe, and thus, will not increase boost netting you no performance gains. Once again, this is based on research I have done on the topic; if someone has first hand experience with this please chime in .

I think you would still gain a deeper exhaust tone with the catless downpipe if you were to install it, however I have been told by numerous people not to run one without an aftermarket tune that is using a map specifically created for using a catless downpipe.

Hope that helps!
You will gain some HP even on a stock car! Ofcourse to really use it, you will need the right software!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
cdauito
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Thanks for all the info. If I make the move and purchase a dp i will post a review and some videos.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0