Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Any ideas for 323i rims?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Any ideas for 323i rims?

Hi everyone!

I have a 323i with Premium Pack and Sport Pack on order.

With the car likely arriving in January, I am thinking that I should have Winter tires on it before I drive it away... being in Canada and all.

I am considering a few things:
1. Could get winter tires put on the 323i sport rims (would the dealer trade me the summer tires for winter ones at no charge?) and buy a second set of rims (17-inch most likely but would consider 18) with sport tires on those. Dealer says he can give me a deal... what should I expect??
2. Could just get BMW steel rims and hub-caps with winter tires and keep SP rims/tires in the garage until summer.
3. Could get a second set of 16 inch BMW alloys with winter rubber.
4. Could get cheap-ass aftermarket alloys with winter rubber (I would rather stay with stock BMW gear, though)

What do you guys say to this??? I would love 17's, but would it be too expensive. Are Y or W rated tires expenisve for 18's... I know that Y-rated are $CDN180 per corner for 17*225 without install. With the 2.5 litre power plant, should I get 225 at all corners or am I stupid for not getting the 255 rears???

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
gpi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

A liitle Off Topic

Forgive me, but you are the first fellow Calgarian that I've seen since joining. I too, am looking at the 323i probably from Calgary BMW, although I've heard both dealerships are owned by the same guy.

Without getting too personal, did you get it for less than list price?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

I'm still waffling between the TSX and 323, with no decision planned until the spring, but one thought I had on this issue was to use the stock 16" for run-flat snows, and buy a second set of light-weight, yet relatively cheap, 16" alloys with 225/50-16 run-flats; I only found a couple of tires in this size, but more are likely to come. Run-flats are heavy, but with the smaller tire and rim, you might be able to create a wheel and tire package for the 323 that would free-up some wheel hp, and bring it closer to the 325's stock torque output. The torque difference is only 15 lb-ft, but the larger engine has more of it at lower engine speeds and keeps on running where the 323 runs out of breath; a lighter wheel/tire combination will effectively give you more torque at the road, at EVERY engine speed. Just something to look into.
Appreciate 0