E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Buying parts for brake job, have a couple of basic questions

10-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Used2335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Too Slow

Buying parts for brake job, have a couple of basic questions

I am buying some pads, and the wear sensors for a brake job. I bought a set of these pads:

http://www.monroebrakes.com/products/prod_dynamics.asp

My first question is, they look like they have some sort of sensor built in; do I still need the BMW wear sensors? I actually already purchased 4, which I think I only need 2; which one is it if I need them at all?

Last question is, do you guys usually do the rotors as well? Any opinions on the brakes I bought would be helpful as well. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

no idea about monroe brakes, i use the bmw oem pads.

that pic in your link is probably just a generic one, yours may not have that same connector. the connector in the pic doesnt look right neither does the pad.

there are 4 pads up front, 2 on left rotor, 2 on right. front left has sensor.

4 pads rear, 2 left, 2 right, right rear has sensor.

maybe someone who has bought this brand will chime in.

most do rotors also. rotors have a minimum thickness stamped on the edge, measure them with a caliper. autozone has that stuff free for loan. if you don't own one most brakes shops will do a free inspection, have them measure.

this part from monroe looks right, shows 4 pads for front. it doesn't have the sensor but the pad should have a place to clip it in, if you click the pic you can see the notch cut out for it.
http://catalog.monroebrakes.com/cata...dStatus=ACTIVE
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcrac View Post
I am buying some pads, and the wear sensors for a brake job. I bought a set of these pads:

http://www.monroebrakes.com/products/prod_dynamics.asp

My first question is, they look like they have some sort of sensor built in; do I still need the BMW wear sensors? I actually already purchased 4, which I think I only need 2; which one is it if I need them at all?

Last question is, do you guys usually do the rotors as well? Any opinions on the brakes I bought would be helpful as well. Thanks!
That photo is an Audi or VW front bake pad set. BMW pads don't have the sensors built in and must be purchased separately.

There is only two sensors on the car - Left front and right rear.

Rotors are recommended at the same time of brake pad replacement by BMW. Although there may enough material on the rotors, you don't have a fresh surface to bed in with new pads and may cause other issues such as noisy brakes and judder.
Appreciate 0