Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PSS and installation in Atlanta

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Michelin PSS and installation in Atlanta

I had the stock RFTs replaced on another car to Michelin PSS and now my e90 rears are almost slicks... Time for a new set of tires.

I am in Atlanta now, I'm going for a set of Michelin PSS.
I ordered several of times from Tire Rack, and in the past I had a truck to help me take the tires to the BMW dealer for mounting/balance/alignment once I got the tires.

Here in Atlanta I can't do the same... So I only have the options of buying from the Dealer ($500 more!!), or from Tire Rack and ship to an installer, but then I'm afraid a non-BMW dealer will not do the balace/alignment right, and scratch my rims.

I also know Discount tire have also a very good price and do the installation too, anyone has experience with them in Georgia?

Anyone installed recently around Atlanta or can suggest something?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I do not understand your problem. Put towels on the seat and transport tires in the cabin. 2 fit in the trunk, 2 on the rear seats, task complete.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

I live in an apartment building I'm not sure I can send tires here we have a central receiving place. I didn't think the four tires fit in the car at once.

My question is, can installers do alignment for BMWs properly after tire installation? I don't want to go somewhere and then have to pay the dealer or another place again to fix the alignment etc.
And, has anyone had experience with Discount tire, or have a place recommended to install tires near Atlanta if I can order from Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
koolit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

I can't speak for DT in your area but from where I live...those young kids at DT are freakin' bad. They are fast but have no regards tossing wheels around. I have to take pictures of my wheels before seeing them and complaint to the manager after the work is complete for a free polishing
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Do not trust a generic place (peep boys NTB, etc) with your alignment. They are clueless on our cars and will set you a perfect but wrong alignment. Most indep do not have the machine, so if you have doubts go to the dealer.

For balancing etc, you can have this done any place. You can drive later to get alignment done at the dealer, even if you have the tires mounted somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
jakuum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Might want to post in the regional forums and see what shops in the Atlanta area are recommended for tire installation.

I agree on not letting a generic chain install/balance your tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Pereze
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i, sport

I am in a similar situation and plan to have my alignment done by Gran Turismo East. I have had other things done there and they are great. They also sell tires so I may end up buying there. I have used Discount Tire in the past and not had any issues. They are right down the street so it is really a convenience thing. If I had aftermarket rims I might have a talk with them before they touch my wheels though.

My First BMW and I am loving it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Check the installers list on Tire Rack. They only list those with very good reviews.
Also read their reviews, and google the installer and read those reviews.

I got my PSS installed by a Tire Rack recommended installer and they were awesome. I had done the above.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Direct link to installer search : http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ller/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Gary - after a thorough search, it looks like tire rack is hard to beat on price!
Does the $70 Michelin discount apply even if I buy today and install a week from now?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
momo786
Premium, Sport, Navi, Comfort, Cold, Step, & More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe

I had a set of 19 inch Michelin PSS installed last Monday. I don't know where you are located but I had it done at Discount Tire in Hiram, GA. If you tell them that you are worried about scratching they will get a manager or the best installer to do your work. They did a great job on my stuff and did not scratch my wheels. They will inspect the wheels before and after the installation is complete. Please don't go to Butler Tire, all they see is Ferraris and Lambos and won't respect you as a customer. It happened to me and they scratched my wheel while completing a patch. I think any discount tire will do a good job, just let them know you are concerned about the wheel getting scratched. Honestly, the Tirerack method is too much work. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
momo786
Premium, Sport, Navi, Comfort, Cold, Step, & More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe

I also got the $70 discount which you can get at discount tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Gary - after a thorough search, it looks like tire rack is hard to beat on price!
Does the $70 Michelin discount apply even if I buy today and install a week from now?
Yes, the purchase date is what Michelin looks at for their rebates, not the installation date.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Yes, the purchase date is what Michelin looks at for their rebates, not the installation date.
Thanks Gary - I got mine with well over half an hour to spare before the cuttoff!

Last edited by BlueBimmer; 04-16-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0