E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > POI Name Searches

01-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Question POI Name Searches

Is it possible to do a POI name search in iDrive without having to go through those very specific and narrow categories? I love the Navi in my wifeys Mazda CX-7 which lets me look up a business with just the phone number which so many other Navis let you do also and is so much easier. I can also look them up just by the business name but in the iDrive it seems that I have to limit the search to a very narrow category and I usually can't find what I'm looking for because it does not fit it's dumb and restrictive category. I usually then have to do a search online using my cell phone which kind of defeats the purpose of having POI capabilities on your Navi! iDrive pretty much sucks in my opinion but maybe there is something I'm missing (hoping) with the POI's? Is there a way to search by using a name throughout ALL CATEGORIES?

BMW better step it up on their nextgen iDrive. It's almost shameful. OK, rant over.

|Simota CF Intake|Blacklines|Matte Black Grilles|Eyelids|iDrive|6SP|Shadow 328i Emblem|Umnitza Angel Eyes|
|Black Overlays|35% tints|DR Presidential Front Plate|330i Exhaust Tips|V2 Plate LED's|Xenon Int. Bulbs|CDVless|

Last edited by Ewing; 01-19-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

The POI's pretty much just suck. Takes forever unless you can somehow find the correct narrow category
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
You pretty much have to select a broad category, but then it's not too bad finding stuff. I am still getting used to it.
      01-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Ewing
SEDATE COOL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

There is no way to search a "broad category" that I know of.

Has anyone searched for a Pep Boys or Discount Auto Parts and found it? You would think maybe in Car & Travel but no. Maybe shopping? Business? Nope. It's the worst POI I have ever seen in any car. I wonder if it could be modified with a Progman update or if it's a hardware issue? Either way it sucks...

|Simota CF Intake|Blacklines|Matte Black Grilles|Eyelids|iDrive|6SP|Shadow 328i Emblem|Umnitza Angel Eyes|
|Black Overlays|35% tints|DR Presidential Front Plate|330i Exhaust Tips|V2 Plate LED's|Xenon Int. Bulbs|CDVless|
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

I hate this about our navi as well but thought I read that this was "fixed" in one of the latest software updates? Can anyone confirm this? Or maybe I'm crazy.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
There is no way to search a "broad category" that I know of.

Has anyone searched for a Pep Boys or Discount Auto Parts and found it? You would think maybe in Car & Travel but no. Maybe shopping? Business? Nope. It's the worst POI I have ever seen in any car. I wonder if it could be modified with a Progman update or if it's a hardware issue? Either way it sucks...
+infinity. I agree. I tried to find Pep Boys without any luck. Why not just search without categories??? Pretty bad GUI.
Appreciate 0