E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Bimmertech Combox installation instructions

02-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
ericinca
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d

Bimmertech Combox installation instructions

Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out here. Earlier this week, I received my Combox retrofit kit from Bimmertech (thanks Patryk!). However, it didn't come with instructions and I've been emailing Patryk without getting a response back. I'm hoping to get cracking on the DIY this weekend.

Does anyone have these instructions that they can share? Feel free to PM with the instructions if it is inappropriate to share them on the forum.

I am doing a BT retrofit as part of the kit on a pre-existing I-Drive/CCC system.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinca View Post
Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out here. Earlier this week, I received my Combox retrofit kit from Bimmertech (thanks Patryk!). However, it didn't come with instructions and I've been emailing Patryk without getting a response back. I'm hoping to get cracking on the DIY this weekend.

Does anyone have these instructions that they can share? Feel free to PM with the instructions if it is inappropriate to share them on the forum.

I am doing a BT retrofit as part of the kit on a pre-existing I-Drive/CIC system.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
Patryk is on vacation.

Searching still works: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks Technic!

I have been reading this forum extensively about the Combox. It looks like the parts that I got from Bimmertech have me putting the box in the trunk and replacing an existing box. The instructions seems a little different than what the PDF described, so are there updated instructions for this process? Let me know if I am mistaken.

And thanks to all the members of this forum who posted valuable information about this install!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Technic!

I have been reading this forum extensively about the Combox. It looks like the parts that I got from Bimmertech have me putting the box in the trunk and replacing an existing box. The instructions seems a little different than what the PDF described, so are there updated instructions for this process? Let me know if I am mistaken.

And thanks to all the members of this forum who posted valuable information about this install!
Post a photo of what you got, please.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
ericinca
Private
Rep

I have a 2010 E90 already pre-installed with the following:

609 Navigation system
620 Voice-command
6FL iPod and USB adapter
6UH Real Time Traffic Information

And here are the parts that I got.

I labeled all the components on the photo and am trying my best to guess what they all are:

A. Combox
B. Not sure - let's call it Patryk's magic harness for now! It has a long orange twisted pair wire coming out and on the other end of the orange wire, it is labeled "Mic" on a piece of tape. I'm guessing this orange wire is the wire to the pre-existing mic.
C. Not sure either - but on one end, it has a four pin connector and on the other, a ten-pin connector
D Wire splice of some sort - not sure what it's for
E. Y cable for iPod/iPhone
F. New Aux/USB port
G. Bluetooth aerial
H. Looks like the Bluetooth aerial connection cable

Any help in deciphering what these cables are would be greatly appreciated. (It's OK to PM me if this information shouldn't be shared.)

One question I already have is where to put the Bluetooth aerial. The original instructions have it attached to the glove box, but given this Combox seems to be want to be installed in the trunk, I'm not sure the supplied cable goes long enough. Any other location for the aerial?
Attached Images

Last edited by ericinca; 02-25-2012 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

609 Navigation system
620 Voice-command
6FL iPod and USB adapter

I labeled all the components on the photo and am trying my best to guess what they all are:

A. Combox
B. Not sure - let's call it Patryk's magic harness for now! It has a long orange twisted pair wire coming out and on the other end of the orange wire, it is labeled "Mic" on a piece of tape. I'm guessing this orange wire is the wire to the pre-existing mic.
C. Not sure either - but on one end, it has a four pin connector and on the other, a ten-pin connector
F. New Aux/USB port
G. Bluetooth aerial

Any help in deciphering what these cables are would be greatly appreciated. (It's OK to PM me if this information shouldn't be shared.)

One question I already have is where to put the Bluetooth aerial. The original instructions have it attached to the glove box, but given this Combox seems to be want to be installed in the trunk, I'm not sure the supplied cable goes long enough. Any other location for the aerial?
1) Your car has a MULF-Hi module, the Combox will replace it.

2) PnP harness (item B above) is the Combox-to-MULF converter harness. Just plug PnP harness to Combox and then plug the other end to the existing MULF-Hi OEM harness in your car.

3) Bluetooth antenna and cable (items G and H) plug into Combox. You can leave the BT antenna in the trunk. No need to mount it under the steering wheel.

4) LVDS cable (USB) from MULF connects to blue LVDS socket in Combox. That will give you BMW Apps once your CIC is coded for it. You can keep your current USB port in place in the mean time. Patryk will explain to you the next steps after coding.

5) The Mic wire (orange wire in item B) goes all the way to the FZD console in the roof. Unplug existing Mic and using a pick remove the two pins from the 2-pin Mic connector. Then insert Mic + in pin 1, and Mic - in pin 2. Pin numbers are molded on the connector.

6) Item C seems to me like a mistake in this particular kit. Patryk should tell you its purpose if in fact it is part of the kit.

7) Item D is not used with a Combox Media -most probably this Combox is it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks Technic!

I was able to make progress with your advice! However, the black LVDS/USB cable connected to the MULF can only go onto the black socket on the Combox. I noticed the blue and black sockets have different shapes so I could not plug the black connector into the blue socket and only the black socket. Hopefully, this is OK.

At this point (pre-coding), I have lost iPod functions. Hope this is expected?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Technic!

I was able to make progress with your advice! However, the black LVDS/USB cable connected to the MULF can only go onto the black socket on the Combox. I noticed the blue and black sockets have different shapes so I could not plug the black connector into the blue socket and only the black socket. Hopefully, this is OK.

At this point (pre-coding), I have lost iPod functions. Hope this is expected?
Correct... my mistake.

Once you removed the MULF-Hi you will not get the USB feature until the CIC is coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
ericinca
Private
Rep

Thanks again Technic. I hope to post some photos once I'm nearing the finish line.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
ericinca
Private
Rep

OK, hit another snag here.

The original black LVDS/USB/HSD cable from the USB hub is not quite long enough and should be extended so that the Combox doesn't have to be installed upside down. Does anyone know where I can find a short (less than 12") extension cable that can extend this connection?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thanks Technic for all your your help!

@Eric:
I am finally back and just sent you an email.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
EQUANT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d

Can someone post the part numbers for the PnP harness (item B) ?
      03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
ericinca
Private
Rep

Sorry EQUANT, as far as I can tell, that's a custom harness created by BimmerTech.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
EQUANT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed, but the connectors must be OEM, no? I want to build my own, but can't find the part number for those connectors.
      03-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQUANT
Agreed, but the connectors must be OEM, no? I want to build my own, but can't find the part number for those connectors.
Look on real oem
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
joafog
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D F11

Quote:

609 Navigation system
620 Voice-command
6FL iPod and USB adapter

A. Combox
F. New Aux/USB port
G. Bluetooth aerial

Hi ericinca
Are these the parts you got from Bimmertech?
What options did you order?
I want to install Bluetooth and USB as step 1 in my car (F11 535D). I have Navi PRO (SA609) but no 644 or 6FL.
Depending on the price I am also interested in options 615 (BMW Online), 614 (Internet), 6NF (extended connection musicfiles) and 6NR (Connected drive) if this is possible from Bimmertech :-)

Thanks in advance
Joacim
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
h3lpmedic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joafog View Post
Hi ericinca
Are these the parts you got from Bimmertech?
What options did you order?
I want to install Bluetooth and USB as step 1 in my car (F11 535D). I have Navi PRO (SA609) but no 644 or 6FL.
Depending on the price I am also interested in options 615 (BMW Online), 614 (Internet), 6NF (extended connection musicfiles) and 6NR (Connected drive) if this is possible from Bimmertech :-)

Thanks in advance
Joacim
Email (Patryk) Bimmertech and give him your vin. He will tell you what you need and what it would cost. I recently had my 2008 e92 retrofited with CIC System, Combox, the works. These guys are professionals. They will walk you through the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
ericinca
Private
Rep

@joafog: yeah, give Patryk your VIN and tell him what you want. He will supply you with exactly the right parts!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

Quote:

609 Navigation system
620 Voice-command
6FL iPod and USB adapter

A. Combox
F. New Aux/USB port
G. Bluetooth aerial

Does anyone have the part number item. C?
      09-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
xelion
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQUANT View Post
hey, did you create your own adapter finally? I can't find it on realoem, have you sorted it out?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
1)

3) Bluetooth antenna and cable (items G and H) plug into Combox. You can leave the BT antenna in the trunk. No need to mount it under the steering wheel.

4) LVDS cable (USB) from MULF connects to blue LVDS socket in Combox. That will give you BMW Apps once your CIC is coded for it. You can keep your current USB port in place in the mean time. Patryk will explain to you the next steps after coding.

5) The Mic wire (orange wire in item B) goes all the way to the FZD console in the roof. Unplug existing Mic and using a pick remove the two pins from the 2-pin Mic connector. Then insert Mic + in pin 1, and Mic - in pin 2. Pin numbers are molded on the connector.
Why does he run a new BT antenna if he already had MULF which I presume means BT.

Why do you have to replace the usb line if USB is already present? Why does the USB connector also have to be replaced. USB is just 4 wires, so what changed, is the connector different?

Why do you have to rewire the microphone?

Also when I install my combox I have a spare optical line left over, there was one going to the mulf and one going to the tcu. What am I supposed do with it? I presume I have to terminate it with this part but I dont know the part number: http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/al...3b687.jpg.html
Appreciate 0