E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about lease turn-in inspection

12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
Question about lease turn-in inspection

So I have a lease ending soon. Lease was initiated at a dealership that is now out-of-state for me. With BMWs past I have had a guy come to my house and inspect the car (I guess working for a firm hired by BMW financial services). He'd inspect the car and I'd drop it off at the dealer.

I am now turning in my car soon to a new dealer with whom I've signed a new car lease. They do their own inspections however I was already contacted by a company called Datascan Field Services that is scheduled to do my inspection.

The new dealer is telling me that they work for commission and may try to jack up the "damages cost" on me. Dealer suggested I cancel the appointment and have them inspect the car around the time when I turn it in and pick up my new car. I'm worried the dealer may try to get money from me at turn in to offset the nice deal I got on the new car.

What do you all think? Who should I have inspect the car? What have you all done in the past?

Thanks
      12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

I've had it done both ways and never had an issue. I'm sure whomever does it gets paid for inspection so they want to do. Even when outside did inspection dealer did also at turn in.

I guess I'd go with dealer - they want future business
      12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
skidrive
Rep
Drives: 2010 335x

Garage List
I have had cars inspected for lease turn in and found Datascan to be very nice and accurate to what BMW charges for any damages. There were times when dents were at a measurement where the inspector wasn't sure if BMW would charge me or not.
I don't see how they can jack up the damages cost, unless they themselves hit the car. You take pics or your car, the inspector takes pics of your car, you get a report while they are there. The inspector doesn't charge or collect for damages from you, that's what BMW will do.
As far as when to have the car inspected, if you aren't sure about a damage, get it inspected asap so you have time to fix the damage.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

A little too late now, but if you we're going to lease again...why not trade in the car and skip the inspection all together?
      12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
A little too late now, but if you we're going to lease again...why not trade in the car and skip the inspection all together?
My current car is a BMW financial services lease. They own the car. How would my turning in the car skip the inspection? They always have the car inspected.

It's just whether I should have Datascan come tomorrow as is scheduled or cancel the appointment and just bring the car in to the dealer for inspection there.
      12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Common misconception about a lease...2 options, buy it out or turn it in. Not so, you actually have a lot more option than that.

1. Turn it in, walk away
2. Turn it in, get into another car
3. TRADE it in...doesn't necessarily mean for another BMW
4. Sell it privately
5. Buy it out

#3 is the one I'm referring to. If you trade it in, it will be like trading in any other car. You wouldn't get charge for any damages on the car, you'll take a hit on the value but you can always negotiate your trade in value.

I'm not sure on the condition of your car and if its even worth exploring that option but if the value of the car is close to pay off...the dealer would be willing to cover the pay off, especially if they're desperate to move inventory.

Another question...did you get your lease return paperwork from BMW financial? Because if you did, there's a plastic disc in it to serve as a guide for chargeable damages. To tell you the truth, all they do is look for dents or paint damage, tire thread and mileage nothing else. If you're "turning" in your car, the dealer doesn't have anything to gain...they're just filling out the paperwork. No if you negotiated the new lease to include your old car then that's a different story...you're actually trading in your car.

Last edited by khaye1; 12-18-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have not negotiated the new lease to include a trade in value.

I have a sizable dent on the front passenger fender. It's very obvious.
      12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prcentauri View Post
I have not negotiated the new lease to include a trade in value.

I have a sizable dent on the front passenger fender. It's very obvious.
Hmm. I did not get that disc / paperwork. It could be at my other address in ny.
      12-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
z4ps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 M4

It's better to do it at dealership.

3rd party is more strict on inspections.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
Common misconception about a lease...2 options, buy it out or turn it in. Not so, you actually have a lot more option than that.

1. Turn it in, walk away
2. Turn it in, get into another car
3. TRADE it in...doesn't necessarily mean for another BMW
4. Sell it privately
5. Buy it out

#3 is the one I'm referring to. If you trade it in, it will be like trading in any other car. You wouldn't get charge for any damages on the car, you'll take a hit on the value but you can always negotiate your trade in value.
How can you trade in a car you don't own and have the obligation to give back to the dealership? How are you able to go to a different car dealership (say Ford) and trade it in towards a new car?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Well if you trade it in to another dealer for exp. they would pay off the balance and it would now become theirs and what was owed will be rolled up into your new payment.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just want to give back my e90 who's lease is up soon and take home by 335is I ordered that will be coming in. I have a nice dent with a bit of buckling on the front passenger fender, a scrape on the front bumper and two small indentations on the rear bumper from some a$$hole parking up against my car. other than that the car is pristine. I just dont wanna have to cough up money upon the turn-in. i'm already going to have to pay $1200 total to drive out of the dealership with my 335is
      12-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
How can you trade in a car you don't own and have the obligation to give back to the dealership? How are you able to go to a different car dealership (say Ford) and trade it in towards a new car?
I believe what he's referencing is essentially your buy-out amount may be worth less than the vehicle's market value.

You typically need to be paying some pretty high monthly payments for this to occur however, and typically people get into a lease with very low monthly payments, so by the time the lease is up the opposite is true, you typically owe more for a buyout than what the car is worth.

or he could be talking about what ally and some other leasing companies do, which basicly offer incentives toward a new lease when returning an existing one.

I had a 2011 CTS-V and essentially received $6500 cost cap reductions on my 2012. All I had to pony-up in the end was tax and $1500 in cash to offset a 10K payout difference on the 2011. It was a sweet deal, and I suppose it could be seen as 'trading in' the 11 for the 12.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I believe what he's referencing is essentially your buy-out amount may be worth less than the vehicle's market value.

You typically need to be paying some pretty high monthly payments for this to occur however, and typically people get into a lease with very low monthly payments, so by the time the lease is up the opposite is true, you typically owe more for a buyout than what the car is worth.

or he could be talking about what ally and some other leasing companies do, which basicly offer incentives toward a new lease when returning an existing one.

I had a 2011 CTS-V and essentially received $6500 cost cap reductions on my 2012. All I had to pony-up in the end was tax and $1500 in cash to offset a 10K payout difference on the 2011. It was a sweet deal, and I suppose it could be seen as 'trading in' the 11 for the 12.

Ah...makes sense.

Just curious...I've never leased...but I'm thinking of actually leasing all future cars as I never keep a car past 3 years lol... I'd rather rent a car for cheaper, have it under warranty and be able to not worry about market value come trade in time.

What's a "cost cap reduction"?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

whatever you said is definitely over my head.
      12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
whatever you said is definitely over my head.
Basically (from what I took lol)...is that at the end of a lease you have the option to buy the car or finance it (same shit).

You could trade in the car to a dealership and they would offer something for the car and you would cover the rest (if needed).

...I think lol

Just curious...what type of charges would they apply for damage to a lease car? For example the dent you have...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Basically (from what I took lol)...is that at the end of a lease you have the option to buy the car or finance it (same shit).

You could trade in the car to a dealership and they would offer something for the car and you would cover the rest (if needed).

...I think lol

Just curious...what type of charges would they apply for damage to a lease car? For example the dent you have...
No clue. The other leases I returned had no issues. One had a scrape and they charged me. I don't remember how much. 3 yrs ago.
      12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
skidrive
Rep
Drives: 2010 335x

Garage List
Quote:
No clue. The other leases I returned had no issues. One had a scrape and they charged me. I don't remember how much. 3 yrs ago.
I have had many bmw's, who inspects the car is not who gives final decision on damages. The inspection is pre turn in. BMW financial has final say, not the dealer you return the car to either.
If you get another bmw when you return the car you avoid the disposition charge and BMW doesn't charge as much on damages either.
-The inspector you see is just to give you an idea of what you might be charged and gives you time to fix the damages on your own, if you desire.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah...makes sense.

Just curious...I've never leased...but I'm thinking of actually leasing all future cars as I never keep a car past 3 years lol... I'd rather rent a car for cheaper, have it under warranty and be able to not worry about market value come trade in time.

What's a "cost cap reduction"?
Very basicly, a fancy way of saying 'price reduction off MSRP'

instead of giving you $5000 off MSRP thus lowering the base cost of the vehicle, a cost cap red essentially acts as a down payment or cash value twoard the full purchase price of a vehicle.

ie.. if you're financing $70K and you negotiate 5K off by a cost cap reduction, they'll finance you that 70K and automaticlly apply 5K worth of downpayments.

instead of say, financing you for 65K. It's a very round-about way of charging you a slightly higher interest rate because you're financing more money essentially.

Quote:
the full retail cost to repair any items that exceed their damage thresholds essentially, as well as typically a small admin fee.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very basicly, a fancy way of saying 'price reduction off MSRP'

instead of giving you $5000 off MSRP thus lowering the base cost of the vehicle, a cost cap red essentially acts as a down payment or cash value twoard the full purchase price of a vehicle.

ie.. if you're financing $70K and you negotiate 5K off by a cost cap reduction, they'll finance you that 70K and automaticlly apply 5K worth of downpayments.

instead of say, financing you for 65K. It's a very round-about way of charging you a slightly higher interest rate because you're financing more money essentially

-----I guess I can't do that bc I already agreeed on an Msrp from which my upcoming lease payments will be calculated------

the full retail cost to repair any items that exceed their damage thresholds essentially, as well as typically a small admin fee.
-----so basically whatever the dealer would normally charge to fix my dent (getting a new fender and painting it and installing it) they will charge me for? I might as well go to maaco, finding their cheapest option and doing that since I'm giving the car away. No?------
      12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
prcentauri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut
"Very basicly, a fancy way of saying 'price reduction off MSRP'

instead of say, financing you for 65K. It's a very round-about way of charging you a slightly higher interest rate because you're financing more money essentially"

-----I guess I can't do that bc I already agreeed on an Msrp from which my upcoming lease payments will be calculated------
      12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-----so basically whatever the dealer would normally charge to fix my dent (getting a new fender and painting it and installing it) they will charge me for? I might as well go to maaco, finding their cheapest option and doing that since I'm giving the car away. No?------
Yup..as long as it's a quality repair and the paint is matched well.

Last edited by lolwut; 12-19-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0