E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This could get interesting...

02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Oh I agree with the fact we are wilting away.

I am still the kind of ignorant fool who thinks most 'colonies' were better off before we....

Nope, not allowed to say that!!

Matt
Sorry, but the Faklands is hardly a 'colony' ! There are no repressed locals there, unless you count the sheep!

It's a 'dependency', at the will of the inhabitants!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
That's hardly ignorant thinking is it?
I can get you on a technicality again mate - A Colony is, by definition, a place which was not previously occupied!

Still I guess we both knew what I meant but we are not here to right all the wrongs of the empire and you are playing devils advocate.

Peter has the educated view here and as he rightly said, echoing my own view though no doubt more eloquently, those people are and want to remain, British.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Sorry, but the Faklands is hardly a 'colony' ! There are no repressed locals there, unless you count the sheep!

It's a 'dependency', at the will of the inhabitants!
I wasn't referring to the Falklands as a colony... That was a flourish onto the overall point of view I'm coming from.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
LOL....some of the comments are so funny!..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
you may have answered your own question Helen - we evolved because we are competitive. Our closest evolutionary rival, the Chimp, is just about the only other animal that will rip another creatures balls off for a laugh.

Not cool, but something which ensures survivslism!

I prefer this view... Confucious said that 'it's better to be a flawed diamond than a flawless pebble'

Matt
LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #28
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I agree with the fact we are wilting away.

I am still the kind of ignorant fool who thinks most 'colonies' were better off before we....

Nope, not allowed to say that!!

Matt
I think in reality none of our elected Governments would allow us to totally wilt away whatever their political persuasion.......certainly not in our life time anyhow.

Not ignorant. Many people look at our past with a modern and present way of thinking and I don't believe you can do that. I believe on the whole there were more positives than negatives but it's all down to opinions and who can find and source the most facts nowadays.

How the hell do we deal with this situation if it spirals like last time. We can 'sit around the table' and discuss it with the Argies but what if that didn't work and they want to 'take over' the Falklands or 'take back' in their opinion. Their ways of dealing with things, their perceptions about the 'value of life' could be very different to ours. We are different cultures. Do we allow that and 'sacrifice' the British people who live there or throw our hands in the air and give in? Not the actions of the average competetive male imo (no sarcasm meant, just facts, men have evolved that way for many reasons). Glad I don't have to make the decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Still I guess we both knew what I meant but we are not here to right all the wrongs of the empire and you are playing devils advocate.
Correct on all counts.

All far too political, I'm going to go bury my head in the sand and not think too hard about from whence (and under what sort of conditions) my various material possessions have come/been produced.

Ignorance truly is bliss in this case...and I mean that!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #30
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I think in reality none of our elected Governments would allow us to totally wilt away whatever their political persuasion.......certainly not in our life time anyhow.

Not ignorant. Many people look at our past with a modern and present way of thinking and I don't believe you can do that. I believe on the whole there were more positives than negatives but it's all down to opinions and who can find and source the most facts nowadays.

How the hell do we deal with this situation if it spirals like last time. We can 'sit around the table' and discuss it with the Argies but what if that didn't work and they want to 'take over' the Falklands or 'take back' in their opinion. Their ways of dealing with things, their perceptions about the 'value of life' could be very different to ours. We are different cultures. Do we allow that and 'sacrifice' the British people who live there or throw our hands in the air and give in? Not the actions of the average competetive male imo (no sarcasm meant, just facts, men have evolved that way for many reasons). Glad I don't have to make the decision.
Sounds like we have a similar view Helen but I suppose from past discussions we have had in person that isn't surprising...

I'd say if it comes to it we will have a go at giving them what for. The consequences of not doing so would be much bigger than the Falklands.

Peter is right anyway, I don't think it will happen!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #31
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like we have a similar view Helen but I suppose from past discussions we have had in person that isn't surprising...

I'd say if it comes to it we will have a go at giving them what for. The consequences of not doing so would be much bigger than the Falklands.

Peter is right anyway, I don't think it will happen!

Matt
Aye, think we more or less put the world to rights lol.

I read what Peter posted and agree, he's got his finger on the pulse........or is that the button!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #32
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Reading up on the history of the Islands, no one lived there originally and they were discovered, many times by a few different countries. Britain happened to be the one that stuck to it longest - since 1833. The inhabitants of the Island are all British citizens, a lot of them have been there for nearly 200 years so there is no real argument that they belong to Argentina.

The 1982 debacle blew up because the military dictatorship which ruled then was hugely unpopular and the "re-taking of the Malvinas" was actually a popularity stunt for the junta.

Now, it's racking up again because Argentina thinks there is "gold in them thar hills" and they want it - as in, want the lot. The U.K. isn't keeping the Islands British because of oil - they were already doing so without it.

Funny, that, in 2007, the Argentinian government unilaterally tore up an agreement with Britain to SHARE any future proceeds of oil recovery - kind of proving my point that they don't really want to talk or negotiate, it's a stark gimme, gimme, we want the lot.

How can there be negotiations when one side's solution is to give them everything they want - in return for nothing...?

The U.N. is very clear in siding with the wishes of the inhabitants of a country under dispute - since they are British, and wish to remain British, the Argentinians are going to get nowhere in the foreseeable future.

Trouble for trouble's sake...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #33
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Well said Alan.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #34
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Spot on Alan.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the Argies didn't give a toss about the place until BP and Shell did some seismic mapping in the late 70's and discovered potential oil bering strata.

All of a sudden the place becomes a long standing pillar of the nation and an invasion is launched. Remember, war is generally robbery writ large - who was the robber here? Good job we have got 4 Typhoons based down there in case of any more Argie Bargy.

Anyway, good luck Desire and Rockhopper - especially so seeing as I have got a few shares
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Am I the only one who thinks it is a strange coincidence that we have a deeply unpopular and failing prime minister (again) and this popos up Nothing like a war to divert people's attention from the mess we have made of our own backyard.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

War is about money and power always has been always will be. its just a little bit more transparent nowadays

so fuck the argie bastards. Lets bomb the shit out of them, if it makes our ecomony better then lets do it id rather we had the money than them, dog eat dog and all that
      05-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Good news today - Sea Lion has turned out to be a gusher for Rockhopper.

Wonder what the Argies will make of that?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

We will be okay in the Falklands as long as we have men like these defending the place........................

Appreciate 0