E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > (Advice) Looking Into First BMW

01-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Not_PabloR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Post (Advice) Looking Into First BMW

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and i had some questions, looking for advice from people knowledgeable about BMW engines and cars as a whole. I am looking to buy an E92 relatively soon within the next month or two and I was thinking either a 328i or 335i. I'm only 19 I do work full time and earn relatively well for my age around 1300 - 1800 a month. I was looking for something under $12,000 because I'm looking to finance. What should I look out for when buying a used E92 With higher mileage? What years would you recommend? Also u don't know if it matters or not but i live in north California.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Theconnman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Alpine White

I personally would save up a little more to get a lower mileage one. 09+ has better nav and a face-lift, but with your price range you will most likely be getting a 07 08. As for things to look for, search around. There have been many posts as to the drawbacks of both cars. Last but not least, welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Without a warranty, my first eight months of repairs at the dealer (not including maintenance!) would have averaged $1000/month. Just a WAG, but you're probably looking at $250ish a month for the loan. I hope you don't like to eat out, or pay rent.

To consider an E92 at your income, you will have to commit to doing all the maintenance and repair work yourself. Even then I would lean toward a 328.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I'd recommend getting a cheap beater and sparing yourself the payment/debt. You can get some fun older stick cars for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

At your income level I would barely recommend a 328i, maybe. Don't even think about the 335i, unless you have no rent and not too many bills.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Without a warranty, my first eight months of repairs at the dealer (not including maintenance!) would have averaged $1000/month. Just a WAG, but you're probably looking at $250ish a month for the loan. I hope you don't like to eat out, or pay rent.

To consider an E92 at your income, you will have to commit to doing all the maintenance and repair work yourself. Even then I would lean toward a 328.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I'd recommend getting a cheap beater and sparing yourself the payment/debt. You can get some fun older stick cars for cheap.
I agree.
I could get a fancy shmancy car but even so, just w/ my 330i, I bought at like 76k miles, I sank soooo much money correcting what the previous owner(s) were slacking on. I make roughly 1750 every two weeks, but nonetheless. Rent, bills, payment on the car it all adds up and it can get a lil' rough. And around that with a high 700s score, your guess is practically spot on w/ my 330ci almost a couple years ago in terms of a payment.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Not_PabloR
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
At your income level I would barely recommend a 328i, maybe. Don't even think about the 335i, unless you have no rent and not too many bills.
I should add that I only pay 250 rent since I live with my parents still and my only actuall bill is my phone bill
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_PabloR View Post
I should add that I only pay 250 rent since I live with my parents still and my only actuall bill is my phone bill
I'd be saving up to move out.

I can't imagine living with my parents after 18. Must save you a ton on condoms, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Not_PabloR
Registered
United_States
Rep

What would be the difference in maintenance for an E90 328 or 330 2006-2009?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
What would be the difference in maintenance for an E90 328 or 330 2006-2009?
330 was in 06 only. Basically an upgraded 328, so similar maintenance. 335 replaced the 330 in 07 and added the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
Not_PabloR
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
I'd be saving up to move out.

I can't imagine living with my parents after 18. Must save you a ton on condoms, though.
Moving out at 18 out here is hella rare with our rent, college expenses, and basic cost of living you funny tho
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Moving out at 18 out here is hella rare with our rent, college expenses, and basic cost of living you funny tho
Have you considered college in another area? While I can respect living at home as a way to save money, if your treating your income as disposable (like buying a bimmer that will cost 50% of your net income), why not use it to make some bad decisions and foggy memories?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #12
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

For $12k you are mostly limited with 07-08 e92. In terms of mileage you won't have much choice, you won't get low mileage cars at that price, so focus on getting best from what you can, be reasonable - imho it would make no difference 112k vs 125k miles car at this point and price. Just try to avoid 200k miles. What's much more important try finding car (and owner) that has maintenance records (yes they can be forged too, but rarely someone bothers with that and you can tell if owner has all records in his book and has no problem showing it to you and answering all questions or has vague recollection of what was done when).
Rust will be not an issue, as will suspension - it's usually very strong and you can feel it during test drive. Engine and transmission are usually not an issue too. What is weak point is all that things around engine that tend to fail. Ask owner for following records or history of maintenance:
1. water pump with thermostat (check if it was replaced, usually it fails at around 60-100k, so it's good to know if yours was recently replaced, otherwise it may fail any moment and you'll be paying around $400 for parts and $400-500 labor)
2. Gasket seals - there are 3 of them: valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket - these leak and it's almost guarantee at least one of them will leak. Will be good to know if some of them were replaced recently. Don't just take word for it - at least check receipts or invoices etc, if you don't know yet how to physically check them to see if they were indeed replaced recently or not. Worst one is oil pan gasket leak - it's most expensive to replace, then it's valve cover gasket. You will need to check under the hood after test drive to see if there are any leaks

For 335 specifically you will need to pay attention to additional things (on top of everything that was said above) like:
3. HPFP - it's a high pressure fuel pump (under the hood, not in tank - that one is low pressure one and fails less often). There was a free recall several years back - check to see if it was replaced or not.
4. Turbos - early models have high rate of failures due to a small part - bearing/rod in wastegate - it becomes loose and rattles not providing full tight closure. You will need to listen to engine sound when revving/accelerating. Go to youtube videos and listen how it sounds - it is really noticeable and means you are in $2-3k repair. The higher the mileage the more chances it will happen. So my advise is to look for e92 that had them replaced by warranty recently - so you'll be good for another 80-100k or so. Warranty was 8 years or 84k miles (i don't remember exact mileage number). So your e92 better have this replaced if you want to have a piece of mind buying it. So in your case 07-08 e92 has to had this replaced like 2-3 years ago - that's still better than buying a e92 with original turbos still working, but which may start failing anytime
5. Also for 335, and this is more maintenance wise - it will require more maintenance like changing coils/spark plugs more often than with 328 and doing walnut blasting - this is not issues in itself, but it will require more money from you to spent on maintenance.
Also, don't buy without taking it to a reputable shop for inspection - some Euro shop or the one that deals with german cars, if you drive it to some local Dodge average Joe shop - they can miss a lot of stuff

Now, my personal advise is to go for 335 - because I've been there and you will eventually want more power and it makes more sense to buy 335 in the first place, even if it's more problematic machine than 328. It's just 335 is a beast and if you have a chance to make a choice - think what you really want before you buy
Appreciate 0