E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 320d gets 1,013 miles on a single tank of diesel

05-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Thumbs up BMW 320d gets 1,013 miles on a single tank of diesel

Why don't we have this in the U.S.... screw the Prius hybrid bs, diesel is where it's at. Damn diesel emissions standards.

To watch a short video of the Sunday Times 1,000-mile drive log on to: http://www.facebook.com/sundaytimesingear

Quote:

Via Jalopnik - http://jalopnik.com/5546598/bmw-gets...tank-of-diesel

Fifth Gear
co-host Tom Ford managed to drive a stock BMW 320d ED from the Chunnel exit in France to Munich, Germany and nearly the entire way back on one tank of diesel.

That's 1,013 miles, a 68.9MPG average. To start things off, no, you peasants in the US cannot get a BMW 320d ED, the uber-efficient 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel sold under the "Efficient Dynamics" banner.

Remember that. Ford took the BMW from a fill-up just outside the Chunnel exit in Calias, France all the way to Munich, turned around and drove all the way back finally running out of fuel in Lille, France, only 75 miles from Calais. Ford says he didn't hypermile the car, "Although I did try and be careful and drive in a feather-footed manner, I did cruise at a reasonable 65ish mph on the autoroutes and autobahns, so faster than the usual economy run pace." The car ran an average pace of 59.3 MPH and returned as high as 75.9 MPG while sipping from a roughly 16.1 gallon tank. In total the 1,013 mile trip averaged a ridiculously good 68.9 MPG. That's US figures, not some imperial gallon baloney.

Keep in mind this feat was pulled off by a guy who looks like this:

The BMW 320d ES has 165 HP, 280 lb-ft of torque, a 7.5 second 0-62MPH time, a top speed of 142 MPH and does not look like a robot egg, all in a car drivers in the United States cannot buy.
Here's the official BMW UK Press Release:

The 1,000-mile BMW

* Press Release

BMW’s cleanest and greenest 3 Series ever has just completed a record-breaking journey from the UK to Munich and back - on one tank of fuel.

Filled up at the Channel Tunnel, the new BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon made it to Munich, then as far as Lille on the return leg – a staggering total of 1,013 miles on a single tank of fuel – before needing to be refuelled.

To put it in a UK geographic context, the distance achieved would have meant being able to drive from Land’s End to John O’Groats, and still having 200 miles range left in the tank.

Just as impressive was that the intrepid driver - motoring journalist and TV presenter Tom Ford - didn’t use efficient driving techniques such as coasting, or drive deliberately slowly for the trip, coverage of which appeared in yesterday’s Sunday Times newspaper.

Although switching the air con and radio off as a concession to fuel saving, Tom managed a reasonable motorway pace all the way there and back, proving that in the real world, the new BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon delivers what its promises on paper – an official combined figure of 68.9mpg and CO2 emissions of only 109g/km.

On the way to Munich, Tom achieved highs of 75.9mpg, and didn’t dip below 65mpg for the entire trip. With an average speed of 59.3mph, the car achieved 68.9mpg overall.

He said: “I was prepared for this car to fail in the real world. I was wrong.Although I did try and be careful and drive in a feather-footed manner, I did cruise at a reasonable 65ish mph on the autoroutes and autobahns, so faster than the usual economy run pace.

“Think about it in the context of everyday motoring: comfortably more than 1,000 miles on one tank of diesel means just 12 fills a year for the average motorist - and even driven normally I still think you're looking at 750-800 miles per fill. BMW's EfficientDynamics: it does what it says on the tin.”

The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon develops 163hp between 3,500rpm to 4,200rpm and 360Nm of torque from 1,750rpm to 3,000rpm. This equates to a zero to 62mph time of 8.2 seconds and a top speed of 137mph ensuring that while it might be extremely efficient, it still offers sporting performance - a fact not lost on Tom.

He said: “It's difficult to tell the difference between this model and a standard 320d in terms of driving performance which is brilliant. It means that as well as the obvious financial advantages, this special 320d is a car for the environmentally conscious who still want a car that drives superbly.”

For drivers choosing the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon, there is no VED to pay for the first year of purchase due to its low CO2 figure and a 13 per cent benefit-in-kind company car tax rating and sporting ability thanks to its 163bhp. For a business buying one, the sub 110g/km emissions mean 100 per cent first year writing down allowances, allowing the model’s full first year depreciation against to be offset against Corporation Tax.

The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon comes with the existing suite of BMW EfficientDynamics technologies, including Auto Start-Stop, Brake Energy Regeneration and Electric Power Steering for optimum performance. However it also achieves its class-leading emissions with the addition of innovative engine construction, a longer transmission ratio, lowered suspension and the use of specially designed aerodynamic alloy wheels with Michelin EnergySaver tyres.

To watch a short video of the Sunday Times 1,000-mile drive log on to: http://www.facebook.com/sundaytimesingear
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Thats impressive
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Yeah, I really don't get why these cars aren't sold in the US. I mean, a luxury car that looks great and gets amazing gas mileage? Who wouldn't buy that? All the hybrids we have here look like crap and the diesels are too small and economy car like.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Wow! That is impressive. Imagine, with a chip tune that car would be as fast and sporty as a GTI but return more than twice the fuel mileage. Hopefully the 335d will pave the way for an entire line of BMW diesels in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

It would appear that BMW of North America does not want to pollute their brand with efficient European cars. Besides there is more margin in SUVs.

Just imagine how many X3 sales would be lost if the E91 320d was on the lots.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Imperial gallons are a bit bigger than US gallons, so that MPG figure would be slightly less in the US. But yeah, 1013 miles to a tank is pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Imperial gallons are a bit bigger than US gallons, so that MPG figure would be slightly less in the US. But yeah, 1013 miles to a tank is pretty amazing.
The jalopnik article says it's 68.9 US MPG, not imperial. Another article says it's 68.9 Imp. MPG, so who knows what's right. ???

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 05-25-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
The jalopnik article says it's 68.9 US MPG, not imperial. Another article says it's 68.9 Imp. MPG, so who knows what's right. ???
Even assuming it's Imperial MPG, that still equates to 57.5 US MPG. Which is still a phenomenal achievement given the performance of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Major
Rep

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/08/21...cs-edition-57/

57.4 mpg using US gallons. The EPA cycle is harder, so call it 50 mpg.

Sometimes it seems like BMW of North America thinks that GM is a role model. Here they have in their hands, coming down the production lines, a car that could kill the Prius, be upscale and still drive like "the ultimate driving machine".

Instead they spent money on the X6.

I am in Europe as I write this, and while walking around today I don't think that I could have thrown a rock and not hit a 320d. And I would love to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianSensation View Post
Why don't we have this in the U.S.... screw the Prius hybrid bs, diesel is where it's at. Damn diesel emissions standards.
OK now I am confused. The ED is so clean than in the UK the car costs virtually nothing to tax (you have to buy a licence disc for every car each year) - I could have one as a company car and it would cost about 40% less in tax than my E91 320d.

Are your emissions standards designed to ban the use of diseasel in America? Because if you can't get ultra efficient EURO-V compliant engines like this, then you can't get anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Meh, the 1.9TDIs in the MK4 Volkswagen Golfs and Jettas can easily do 70+ mpg if driven properly...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
OK now I am confused. The ED is so clean than in the UK the car costs virtually nothing to tax (you have to buy a licence disc for every car each year) - I could have one as a company car and it would cost about 40% less in tax than my E91 320d.

Are your emissions standards designed to ban the use of diseasel in America? Because if you can't get ultra efficient EURO-V compliant engines like this, then you can't get anything.
Emissions regulations in the US are more stringent when it comes to particulate and nitrogen emissions, two areas where diesels traditionally do worse than gasoline engines. The Diesel Particulate Filter in modern diesels allows them to comply with regulations when it comes to particulates, and urea exhaust injection allows them to comply with nitrogen emissions regulations. The problem is fitting the vehicles with these systems and making it cost effective, but that's a challenge I think BMW is more than capable of meeting.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Emissions regulations in the US are more stringent when it comes to particulate and nitrogen emissions, two areas where diesels traditionally do worse than gasoline engines. The Diesel Particulate Filter in modern diesels allows them to comply with regulations when it comes to particulates, and urea exhaust injection allows them to comply with nitrogen emissions regulations. The problem is fitting the vehicles with these systems and making it cost effective, but that's a challenge I think BMW is more than capable of meeting.
I get it now - a bit of nitrogen from the tail pipe of diesel is much more harmful than all the pollution that comes from banning diesel and having most punters drive 20mpg petrol cars.

Glad big oil lobbyists cleared that up for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
I get it now - a bit of nitrogen from the tail pipe of diesel is much more harmful than all the pollution that comes from banning diesel and having most punters drive 20mpg petrol cars.

Glad big oil lobbyists cleared that up for you!
Hey I'm with you on this one. I wasn't trying to justify the law, just explain it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Quote:

...actually, the 335d in North America (with SCR) even exceeds EURO 6 standards, now, which you guys don't have to meet until 2014...
      05-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well VW does it. And those Jetta TDIs, many of them manuals and many of them wagons, are not gathering dust on the dealer lots.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The 320d is the car that I was hoping BMW AG would see fit to subsidize in the NA market, rather than the 335d. But the dealer network had a hissy fit that 4 cyl diesel would tarnish the brand image. They are a bunch of fu$%&g dinosaurs with no vision. A 50+ mpg BMW with a green image would create its own market and bring a ton of new customers into the showroom that otherwise would never be comfortable with the moral compromise of anything less than a Prius.

My ad campaign? 320d that runs rings around the Prius and some supposed sports sedans on the 'ring, and then also goes across America with 3 tankfuls, leaving the Prius and other contenders stranded in places like Missouri. All this in a luxury sports sedan.

In a time of gulf coast eco disasters, middle-east wars, debt crisis, etc., a 50mpg auto / truck fleet would be fairly popular. Hence my thoughts re: a BMW/Ford merger that could meld BMW engineering with Ford manufacturing potential.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey I'm with you on this one. I wasn't trying to justify the law, just explain it.
Sorry mate, wasnt having a pop at you, just the silly law.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Yeah, I really don't get why these cars aren't sold in the US. I mean, a luxury car that looks great and gets amazing gas mileage? Who wouldn't buy that? All the hybrids we have here look like crap and the diesels are too small and economy car like.

It's all marketing. The 335d proves that BMW knows how to make a 50-state legal diesel motor. The rest is brand perception.

In the US, 4 cylinder diesels are associated with econoboxes (Golf TDI for example), but not the luxury/performance brand the BMW is perceived to be in the US. Plus, many Americans still associate diesels with noisy trucks or old Mercedes diesels spewing black exhaust.

I think BMW introduced the 335d and x35d cars first because they are high performance. Audi and Mercedes are slowly introducing more diesels too.

It'll happen, it'll just take time. I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen 3 series is available with more than one diesel motor.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
It's all marketing. The 335d proves that BMW knows how to make a 50-state legal diesel motor. The rest is brand perception.

In the US, 4 cylinder diesels are associated with econoboxes (Golf TDI for example), but not the luxury/performance brand the BMW is perceived to be in the US. Plus, many Americans still associate diesels with noisy trucks or old Mercedes diesels spewing black exhaust.

I think BMW introduced the 335d and x35d cars first because they are high performance. Audi and Mercedes are slowly introducing more diesels too.

It'll happen, it'll just take time. I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen 3 series is available with more than one diesel motor.
+1

I'd BUY the 320d if it came with the same 4yr/50k warranty without looking at anything else in the market.

Perhaps with F30 arrival, things will change in the US of A
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

BMW... Bring More Diesels to the U.S.!!

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Diesels are nothing new - they have always been popular in Europe because they are rugged and durable, and Europeans have known how far a tank of diesel would go. Now, diesels have finally started appearing in North America. They will compete with hybrids, comparing complexity to simplicity. Will their sales be comparable to the sales of hybrids, or is more advertising, newspaper fluff, politics, incentives, and Prius disasters needed to make diesels more popular? We are just about to find out.
Appreciate 0