E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New iPhone car compatibility

09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

New iPhone car compatibility

With the new connector just accounted on the iphone 5, how will those of us with the iPod hook up connect? Adapter, whole new cord? Thoughts?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Adapter available in Oct.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR
Adapter available in Oct.
From BMW?

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
im more worried about how its going to fit in the door handle...at the least the new cars have actual cup holders in them to stick the phone in...love my X5 and 535 for that reason alone
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
The Adapter does not support Video or iPod out. Stated on Apple's website.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Buy samsung.
      09-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
im more worried about how its going to fit in the door handle...at the least the new cars have actual cup holders in them to stick the phone in...love my X5 and 535 for that reason alone
Seriously i was just thinking the same thing
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

If you have LCI (at least on the coupe), you just use the regular white cable that comes with the phone...

how about those of us with ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps though? Thats another point
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Adapters have been announced, which will be available from Apple, not BMW. $30 for a block-type adapter you'd hang on the end of a cable, and $40 for an 8-inch extension cord-style adapter. Ironically though, a full-on new style CABLE is "only" $20. So Apple is apparently acknowledging that some people have accessories with built-in 30-pin connectors/cables (e.g. an iHome) that can't just be upgraded to the new standard with a cable and are thus forced to go for an adapter -- and they're happy to gouge those helpless customers for extra profit.

As others have mentioned though, the adapters mention that video and iPod Out won't be supported, so even though theoretically it would have been possible to use an iPhone 5 through a 4/4S Media cradle by buying the extension cord-style adapter to make the connection, apparently you'll be locked out of those features -- music, charging, and control may all still work that way though if you want to keep your USB port free for another device. Evidently the reason is that the new connector is all-digital, whereas video playback and iPod Out use an analog composite signal that the 4/4S can output. That means that if BMW wants to support those functions on new iPhones, they'll either need cradles that can convert the new iPhone's HDMI output to analog (which will make already hideously expensive cradles even more so), or they'll need to update iDrive to accept an HDMI input. Since the latter option would likely require a hardware upgrade, if that's the route they go, chances are it'll only be available on new cars.

Block-type adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter
Extension cord adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m

EDIT: On thinking about the whole adapter pricing thing further, I realized that since the new connector is all-digital, and given that these adapters are designed to connect the iPhone 5 to devices that probably only accept an analog audio signal from the phone, the adapters would have to have some sort of digital-to-analog audio converter built into them, whereas a standard Lightning to USB cable wouldn't need that. I guess that might account for the increased price -- maybe.

EDIT 2: Yep, confirmed. In a statement Apple gave to Engadget, the Lightning to USB adapters support analog audio: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/14/a...tning-adapter/.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-14-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Adapters have been announced, which will be available from Apple, not BMW. $30 for a block-type adapter you'd hang on the end of a cable, and $40 for an 8-inch extension cord-style adapter. Ironically though, a full-on new style CABLE is "only" $20. So Apple is apparently acknowledging that some people have accessories with built-in 30-pin connectors/cables (e.g. an iHome) that can't just be upgraded to the new standard with a cable and are thus forced to go for an adapter -- and they're happy to gouge those helpless customers for extra profit.

As others have mentioned though, the adapters mention that video and iPod Out won't be supported, so even though theoretically it would have been possible to use an iPhone 5 through a 4/4S Media cradle by buying the extension cord-style adapter to make the connection, apparently you'll be locked out of those features -- music, charging, and control may all still work that way though if you want to keep your USB port free for another device. Evidently the reason is that the new connector is all-digital, whereas video playback and iPod Out use an analog composite signal that the 4/4S can output. That means that if BMW wants to support those functions on new iPhones, they'll either need cradles that can convert the new iPhone's HDMI output to analog (which will make already hideously expensive cradles even more so), or they'll need to update iDrive to accept an HDMI input. Since the latter option would likely require a hardware upgrade, if that's the route they go, chances are it'll only be available on new cars.

Nice post, man
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:

Screwed by Apple again.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Looks like I'll stick with my 4S till BMW figures shit out.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Yeah, and it's not like you'll be missing out on much
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Ah well, there goes my media cradle....
Actually I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
BiliBug
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
This is Apple's fault, not BMW's.

Apple is stranding the large segment of their user base who have purchased an expensive arsenal of "i" gadgets, none of which will work with the new connector - adapter or not. I, personally, will probably stick with my iPhone 4 until it dies completely, and then move to a non-Apple phone. Hopefully the new (wireless) connection technologies will be available in BMWs by then.

I am one for adopting new technology, but not when it forces total obsolescence with only very costly alternatives. This is similar to the digital cable/TiVo/On-Demand nonsense. Apple is one of the most guilty to being oblivious to the fact that outside companies and designers often produce better accessories and software for their products.

I love Apple products, but I will be the first to admit that they are shortsighted and greedy as a company.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post

Apple is stranding the large segment of their user base who have purchased an expensive arsenal of "i" gadgets, none of which will work with the new connector - adapter or not.

I am one for adopting new technology, but not when it forces total obsolescence with only very costly alternatives. This is similar to the digital cable/TiVo/On-Demand nonsense. Apple is one of the most guilty to being oblivious to the fact that outside companies and designers often produce better accessories and software for their products.

I love Apple products, but I will be the first to admit that they are shortsighted and greedy as a company.
I definitely agree that Apple can obsolete products faster than other companies, but in this particular case, let's be realistic here. Apple has managed to stick to the 30-pin dock connector since 2003 -- and has deployed it across multiple generations of multiple product lines. You can't point to ANY other phone or music player connector that's been around since then and is still kicking. MicroUSB? Not even close -- plus it doesn't have anywhere near the number of capabilities enabled by the dock connector. Yes, it's unfortunate that they've changed connectors after all this time, but it's only this huge of an inconvenience precisely BECAUSE they managed to stick to the 30-pin connector for so incredibly long that an absolutely enormous ecosystem of accessories has arisen.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-12-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Well, it is BMW's fault as well. Adding features to a car based on another vendor's products is a terrible idea. Things like these happen sooner or later. Apple couldn't care less about BMW's problems, so why would you as BMW do that without a commitment from the other part (Apple) to keep things working?
Microsoft was (and still is) tied to obsolete components in Windows, in order to keep old applications running. Maybe BMW will learn and wisely cater to a bigger market, based on universal standards.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
BiliBug
Rep

Quote:
I definitely agree that Apple can obsolete products faster than other companies, but in this particular case, let's be realistic here. Apple has managed to stick to the 30-pin dock connector since 2003 -- and has deployed it across multiple generations of multiple product lines. You can't point to ANY other phone or music player connector that's been around since then and is still kicking. MicroUSB? Not even close -- plus it doesn't have anywhere near the number of capabilities enabled by the dock connector. Yes, it's unfortunate that they've changed connectors after all this time, but it's only this huge of an inconvenience precisely BECAUSE they managed to stick to the 30-pin connector for so incredibly long that an absolutely enormous ecosystem of accessories has arisen.
I don't totally disagree. I just think it is typical of Apple to do it in a way that forces almost complete obsolescence. They could have designed a hybrid connector or adapter which would have made the transition a little less painful.

Also, $30 for an adapter is a bit steep, no? Especially when it is a nece$$ity, not an option for many people?

I tend to be the schmuck lining up in the wee hours to buy the latest iPhone on release day. Not this time. Much too costly an upgrade for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Well, it is BMW's fault as well. Adding features to a car based on another vendor's products is a terrible idea. Things like these happen sooner or later. Apple couldn't care less about BMW's problems, so why would you as BMW do that without a commitment from the other part (Apple) to keep things working?
Microsoft was (and still is) tied to obsolete components in Windows, in order to keep old applications running. Maybe BMW will learn and wisely cater to a bigger market, based on universal standards.
Wow, BMW just can't seem to win with some people. People complain that cars don't operate with other useful and fun gadgets that are integral parts of their lifestyle, and when car makers finally deliver that type of compatibility and then the phone vendor breaks it, customers are pissed at the CAR company for creating something cool that someone else took away?

Better to have enjoyed something and lost it than not have enjoyed it at all, IMHO. As for supporting standards, BMW does, which is why things like basic USB sticks work. The problem is that there aren't always standards to enable broad device-agnostic support for certain functions people want, and often there won't be because that typically means that new features take longer to arrive to market until standards are updated.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
BiliBug
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Smartest thing BMW did was incorporate the USB port and bluetooth streaming in later models. This helps alleviate some of the obsolescence. For many with newer bimmers, all they need to do is use the new cable instead of the 30 pin one, no? I think it is only BMW Apps that won't work this way?

I need the BMW "Y" adapter in my 2009, which to my understanding, controls the ipod/phone through the 30 pin connector, but the audio is analog through the aux port. I wonder if a 2 cable solution would work.

I wonder how the upcoming SIRI car integration is being planned? BMW and Apple have had to be in bed on that one.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow, BMW just can't seem to win with some people. So people complain that cars don't operate with other useful and fun gadgets that are integral parts of their lifestyle, and when car makers finally deliver that type of compatibility and then the phone vendor breaks it, customers are pissed at the CAR company for creating something cool that someone else took away?

Better to have enjoyed something and lost it than not have enjoyed it at all, IMHO. As for supporting standards, BMW does, which is why things like basic USB sticks work. The problem is that there aren't always standards to enable broad device-agnostic support for certain functions people want, and often there won't be because that typically means that new features take longer to arrive to market until standards are updated.
No. I don't own an Iphone and never will. I don't give a rat's ass about iphone/ipod/ipad/iwhatever integration. On the contrary, I think BMW should have gone more universal in their interfaces, like aftermarket companies did, and not going along with just apple products. That's like instead of supporting MP3s format they would have chosen to support some propietary music file format, or instead of sporting an USB connector they had something that only worked with SONY products, for example. It's just a bad decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle
No. I don't own an Iphone and never will. I don't give a rat's ass about iphone/ipod/ipad/iwhatever integration. On the contrary, I think BMW should have gone more universal in their interfaces, like aftermarket companies did, and not going along with just apple products. That's like instead of supporting MP3s format they would have chosen to support some propietary music file format, or instead of sporting an USB connector they had something that only worked with SONY products, for example. It's just a bad decision.
Support more universal solutions? Like USB, Bluetooth, MP3 as you mentioned, etc? They DID. The only thing breaking here is a cradle which was always marketed as only working with 2 devices in the first place. I really don't see how you can be upset here even in principle.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0