E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > bad stoptech rotors/pads/or just me? with pics

09-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

bad stoptech rotors/pads/or just me? with pics

had the music off on the way to work this morn(rare) and heard/felt a slight vibration from back when light braking. thought it was just rust from a wash w/o driving for a day. so did some hard stops and it felt like it went away for a bit. driving home it was back but still very light. When i got home i looked at the rotors and the seemed to have areas on them like the pads were resting for a long time in multiple spots. both rear rotors are the same as this issue goes. both are stoptech w/ stoptech pads about 4 months old.

im going auto x this weekend and don't have time to get new rotors pads mailed to me. I just dont want this to be an issue.

pics.
bottom left

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

i think its called deposits.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Its not going to be an issue at an autox.

But, you need to properly bed the pads when you get them. These uneven deposits are the result of improper or lack of bedding.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

i did the bedding when i installed them. i am going to try to re bed them tomorrow. seems to be a commin issue the more i search. just doesnt seem to be any solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
i did the bedding when i installed them. i am going to try to re bed them tomorrow. seems to be a commin issue the more i search. just doesnt seem to be any solution.
Best solution would be to have a set of very abrasive pads (like Hawk blues) and do a stop or two with those to scrape the junk off the rotors.

Failing that, rebedding is really the only thing you can do.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Im no brake expert, but to me it looks like you got the rotor and pads wet while they were hot.
      09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Im no brake expert, but to me it looks like you got the rotor and pads wet while they were hot.
Maybe in rain. But when I wash car is cold
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

This is a very common issue, not brand specific. You can try to scrap the rotors with a hooning head and redo the bedding process. It may or may not solve the issue.

This is not a problem for autox, but it can be quite anoying when driving in town.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Could I have them turned?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

It looks to me like you drove the car hard and then parked it with the ebrake on. This will cause issues as you're feeling with a pad transfer and if they're really hot, could cause slight warping.
Try what Meeni said with a hooning head to get the deposits off and then rebed the pads.
I don't think you'll need to have them turned at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Most normal places won't turn drilled rotors anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
It looks to me like you drove the car hard and then parked it with the ebrake on. This will cause issues as you're feeling with a pad transfer and if they're really hot, could cause slight warping.
Try what Meeni said with a hooning head to get the deposits off and then rebed the pads.
I don't think you'll need to have them turned at this point.
The car does not use the caliper for the parking brake. Some pads do not like to get wet. My cool carbons are horible for this. Even driving the car after a wash to clean off the rotors does not help. This is what my front cool carbons do the fronts (washed when cold) after sitting for an hour after washing then driving the car.

It almost seems like that the pad material gets scraped off when it gets wet and then it bunches up on the pad and the meterial eats at the rotor. Hard breaking removes it, but it shouldn't happen. My Hawk or Performance Friction pads never had this problem.
Attached Images

09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

You can get away without the anti-rattle clip and the piston clip but we advise against this in general- additionally the piston clip holds the pad against the piston face and the piston withdraws slightly after each brake application pulling the pad away from the rotor.

The photos shown for the CC pads look like any other pad that we have seen after washing the car and allowing to sit for a period of time.

It does appear that the pads are not making complete contact as the rotor appears to be shinny only at the top.

Suggest to check caliper pins for parallelism and note also that there are a number of mentions now on the forums that BMW is denying warranty for painted calipers that have been disassembled for painting

WE run CC pads without any issue and also many happy customer.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
You can get away without the anti-rattle clip and the piston clip but we advise against this in general- additionally the piston clip holds the pad against the piston face and the piston withdraws slightly after each brake application pulling the pad away from the rotor.

The photos shown for the CC pads look like any other pad that we have seen after washing the car and allowing to sit for a period of time.

It does appear that the pads are not making complete contact as the rotor appears to be shinny only at the top.

Suggest to check caliper pins for parallelism and note also that there are a number of mentions now on the forums that BMW is denying warranty for painted calipers that have been disassembled for painting

WE run CC pads without any issue and also many happy customer.
Keep spewing the same BS. The car has 7900 miles on it. It does not take a period of time. Less than an hour for what you see. Pads make complete contact once the pile of shit on the rotors from the pad scrubs off. In fact, I can take a putty knife and scrape it off. BMW has no issue with painted brakes. There are just a few dumb ass dealers out there.
      09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

This should not be a problem at all. A series of hard braking events from 60mph down to a near-stop, repeated back-to-back about 7 or 8 times, should take care of the judder. Make sure you brake as soon as you get up to 60mph and don't just cruise in between each braking event. You want to get those rotors HOT and they cool off pretty quickly. So BRAKE, accelerate, and BRAKE again. (Lather, rinse, repeat!)

Since it's rear rotors, it's a little harder to get them heated up. So a second bedding session, after a brief cool-down period, may be the ticket.

If you're not an aggressive driver, braking late and hard, the abrasive StopTech pads may wear away their transfer layer over time, necessitating an occasional re-bed at the first hint of judder. If that's the case, you may be better served with Posi Quiet Ceramic or Hawk HPS. Both are fine for the occasional autocross. But if you're taking the car to the track, then forget those two pads. Then again, if you're tracking, you want slotted rotors instead of drilled.

Hope this helps!

Dave Z.
      09-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I put the same stop techs on with CC pads. Horrible vibes. Just removed the CC's and installed stop techs and the vibes still exist....
      09-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
This should not be a problem at all. A series of hard braking events from 60mph down to a near-stop, repeated back-to-back about 7 or 8 times, should take care of the judder. Make sure you brake as soon as you get up to 60mph and don't just cruise in between each braking event. You want to get those rotors HOT and they cool off pretty quickly. So BRAKE, accelerate, and BRAKE again. (Lather, rinse, repeat!)

Since it's rear rotors, it's a little harder to get them heated up. So a second bedding session, after a brief cool-down period, may be the ticket.

If you're not an aggressive driver, braking late and hard, the abrasive StopTech pads may wear away their transfer layer over time, necessitating an occasional re-bed at the first hint of judder. If that's the case, you may be better served with Posi Quiet Ceramic or Hawk HPS. Both are fine for the occasional autocross. But if you're taking the car to the track, then forget those two pads. Then again, if you're tracking, you want slotted rotors instead of drilled.

Hope this helps!

Dave Z.
It will be double auto crossed this weekend and its a fast track. That should burn them off. I got drilled cause they looked cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

12 back to back runs seemed to clear up all the vibes.
Appreciate 0