E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d charge pipe oil issues with pics

10-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

335d charge pipe oil issues with pics

I bought some new bits for the engine & set about fitting them today. I did buy the new style crankcase breather but fortunately / unfortunately it has the new style one fitted so the new one will end up for sale. The connecting black upvc pipe though was faulty at one end & could have been causing part of the oil leak I could see around the red charge pipe as the end was deformed & couldnt have sealed properly.

However, I think the main culprit for the red charge pipe being covered in oil was the small black hose that literally came away from it's connection & you can see where it had been leaking ( hard to see from the pics though) so everything below this point will have oil on it & it does including the trays. I have now put a jubilee clip on the bottom of this black hose to eliminate where this oil may or may not come from but I'm not sure now wether the red pipe really leaks at all on mine as the top joint to it is relatively dry around the joint. I'm convinced it was this black pipe leaking ( either at the top or the bottom) that is responsible for my oily mess in the lower half of my engine.

I Pulled the large bore pipe off the throttle housing & even that had a pool of oil in it so with that in mind plus the leak I decided tio check the oil level & it was low. Needed at least 1 litre.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

also had a look around the egr valve & was pleasantly surprised how clean it was.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Ek_1986
Ehs_1986
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
also had a look around the egr valve & was pleasantly surprised how clean it was.
Hi I know its been a year so since posting but I was curious about best way of gaining access to the EGR valve. Ideally I would like to check the condition of mine.

It appears the only way is to remove the EGR Valve by gaining access to removal bolts of EGR is to disconnect the throttle body but then I am stuck with limited access to the two bolts under the throttle body because of the plastic pipe being in the way.

How can the silver clip (labelled by a White arrow) be loosened to disconnect from the plastic pipe? Is the silver clip a clip that can easily be placed back? I couldn’t seem to see anything on the silver clip for loosening.

My idea was to disconnect the plastic pipe between the plastic flexi host and the throttle body. Following which this will give a clear access to bolts for removing the throttle body.

How can I safely remove the silver clip to disconnect pipe. Please can you tell me whether a specific BMW tool is required for removal or replacement clip for securing clip around pipe when putting back in?

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek_1986 View Post
Hi I know its been a year so since posting but I was curious about best way of gaining access to the EGR valve. Ideally I would like to check the condition of mine.

It appears the only way is to remove the EGR Valve by gaining access to removal bolts of EGR is to disconnect the throttle body but then I am stuck with limited access to the two bolts under the throttle body because of the plastic pipe being in the way.

How can the silver clip (labelled by a White arrow) be loosened to disconnect from the plastic pipe? Is the silver clip a clip that can easily be placed back? I couldn’t seem to see anything on the silver clip for loosening.

My idea was to disconnect the plastic pipe between the plastic flexi host and the throttle body. Following which this will give a clear access to bolts for removing the throttle body.

How can I safely remove the silver clip to disconnect pipe. Please can you tell me whether a specific BMW tool is required for removal or replacement clip for securing clip around pipe when putting back in?

why can't you pull the spring clip off above the clamp and just remove the pipe from the throttle body ?
      10-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Ek_1986
Ehs_1986
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

There doesn't appear to be much flex in the pipe to gain access to the two bolts under the throttle body. I'm a little concerned about putting too much pressure on flexing the pipe aside.

Do you how normally gain access to the EGR by removing onlu need to remove pipe from throttle?

I was hoping to see whether incomes remove the silver clip & disconnect the centre plastic pipe which would give much space for access to the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
dekesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0SD M Sport

@jimmylad

I have a similar problem to what you have discussed on the first post of this thread.

In order to put the hose clamp on the short black pipe (where you show the oil is leaking from) you removed that big black pipe (right next to that leaking joint), how did you remove it? Was there a clip holding it in place or something or did you just pull it off?
Appreciate 0