E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > $260 BMW dealership oil service?

01-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #67
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
No DEF added in a loooong time due to a possible faulty sensor inside the tank. The repair cost will offset any savings so far.
Me too! 25K miles and I have not added any DEF, and it's not complaining. I thought there were so many checks that it would be impossible not to feed DEF without setting the SES.

My concern is once my extended warranty is up, something in the SCR system does trigger the SES and then I'm on the hook for $1000's in repairs.

I have to go though inspection in 2 months. This could be interesting...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #68
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I share your pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #69
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I went through a couple of extractors, one electric, until I settled on a good marine-quality topsider. The electric one failed quickly, and others are more difficult to use. But the topsider has its drawbacks in oil spillage and positioning for proper pump action.

Wonder how some of the more expensive setups such as sold at Harbor Freight perform.

PL
I have the above harbor freight extractor. Works great! Hold 3 oil changes before I need to empty it. I did have to make my own extraction tube as the thin suction tube supplied with the unit was not long enough. I just used 1/4" poly hose sold as a kit to connect an ice maker.

Too bad it will become obsolete with the elimination of dip sticks on newer cars. Plus I see the oil filter on the new B58 6-cyl engine is not as easy to get to. They really are trying to make it harder to self maintain.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:13 PM   #70
kg4kdn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
I have the above harbor freight extractor. Works great! Hold 3 oil changes before I need to empty it. I did have to make my own extraction tube as the thin suction tube supplied with the unit was not long enough. I just used 1/4" poly hose sold as a kit to connect an ice maker.

Too bad it will become obsolete with the elimination of dip sticks on newer cars. Plus I see the oil filter on the new B58 6-cyl engine is not as easy to get to. They really are trying to make it harder to self maintain.
Yup, they made taking notes from Mercedes. That's why I bought BMW vs. Mercedes. It is very difficult to work on their cars and parts are outrageous compared to BMW. I have to try an extractor as I am getting too old to crawl under cars. BTW, I have been getting Total oil specifically made for Euro diesels. 3, 5 at jugs for under $100.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #71
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kdn View Post
.... as I am getting too old to crawl under cars. ...
Yes, I can most definitely relate!! That's the problem, my next car will not have a dipstick. For "most" of the newer generation (not those who are on these boards) they have no interest or desire to do any of their own maintenance. Status is the LAST reason why I purchase BMW's.

I came close to getting a Tesla next (no dipstick, but then no oil!). I'll wait until next time around when the electric cars are cheaper and gas costs more.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #72
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
That's a good deal, assuming they provide you some lube as well.
LOL
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0