E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Need some advice/help

10-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
singh182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 320d M-Sport Highline

Need some advice/help

hoping someone can give me some info here..
basically i got caught speeding 38mph in a 30mph zone by a fixed camera.

The thing is i was driving my dads car at the time(first and last time i used it - typical) and im not insured on it. On the form my dads received: notice of intended prosecution ive filled it out and put that i was driving the car. Will the police check to see if im insured on the vehicle or will they just issue points straight to me? ... ive never been caught speding before or had any points so this is all new and scay to me lol.

any help/info would be great

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Do you have insurance in your own name on your car fully comp?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
if u've got an insurance policy on another car then u can drive any car....third party...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would be pretty sure they run a check on insurance, generally when they get you for one thing they check everything else out as often other offences arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
singh182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 320d M-Sport Highline

yea the offence came in on my dads name so ive just completed the form on the section saying registered keeper was not the driver "I" was.

Yes ive got fully comp insurance on the bimmer in my name (me main driver)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
if u've got an insurance policy on another car then u can drive any car....third party...
Hang on. I think you need to clarify that statement a bit because there are too many people who will take it at face value.

SOME Fully Comp policies give you 3rd party cover on other vehicles when taken with the owners consent.

That is not to say that all fully comp policies do the same. You have to check your own policy wording and certs to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Hang on. I think you need to clarify that statement a bit because there are too many people who will take it at face value.

SOME Fully Comp policies give you 3rd party cover on other vehicles when taken with the owners consent.

That is not to say that all fully comp policies do the same. You have to check your own policy wording and certs to make sure.
there all different, i thought the same i could drive anything, then when i looked it was when i was over 25, its the same for other policys too
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
there all different, i thought the same i could drive anything, then when i looked it was when i was over 25, its the same for other policys too
That's my point. It varies between company to company and policy to policy.

I used to have a policy with one company that didn't give it to me because I had business use on. I then moved to another company with the same level of cover (inc. business use) but they did allow me to use other cars (3rd party).

You have to be very careful with insurances becase (as I am sure everyone knows) they will use any number of minute technicalities to void cover/not pay up in the event of a claim. Never assume anything about insurance cover and always double check and get things in writing when confirming things.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post

hmmm ok....some policies might be different....I was under the impression that most insurance companies would cover the policy holder "third party" when driving other vehicles....

well, in my case, for all the policies that I've had so far....I was fully comprehensive and could drive any other car (with the owner's consent) "covered" third party....

to the OP, since you have a policy insurance under your name, then even if you're insurance policy doesn't cover you for driving other vehicles, i think they could go "easy" on you....
Appreciate 0